1998 TJ starting issue

CAD1

Supporting Member
I just purchased a 1998 TJ. It is very hard, if not almost impossible, to get started. It turns over fine. Even if I use starting fluid I can get it started. I can smell gas.

Once it starts (which is hard to do) and run for a while then it restarts with no problem.

Any ideas?

I just purchased a 1998 TJ. It is very hard, if not almost impossible, to get started. It turns over fine. Even if I use starting fluid I can get it started. I can smell gas.

Once it starts (which is hard to do) and run for a while then it restarts with no problem.

Any ideas?
Welcome,

Any check engine feedback.

I would probably test the fuel pressure for starters. The 98's should have the test port (capped 1/4" schrader ftg) on the fuel rail and a test rig can be rented if necessary.

If you need a shop manual they are available in the resource section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ante_Up
I would lean towards the fuel pump... I think the fuel pressure at the rail is suppose to be around 45 psi

not sure it it solves the problem but the previous owner put in a 650 amp battery that does not seem to be enough. I hook up a battery power station that seemed to help

Test the battery, test the fuel pressure, check all the tune up parts. Might just need maintenance.

Late here. When I purchased my 98 TJ it had a straight connector out of the coil and a 90' at the center distributer. The straight was arching to ground through the boot. Changing it to a 90' to 90' coil wire fixed the problem.

I changed the CPS, no luck. Then changed the entire distributor, including Ckp, plugs, wires and coil - worked. No issues since

When firing the parts cannon, it is better to change one part at a time, so you can isolate what the actual problem was. Admittedly it’s hard if/when multiple components are failing. And if you move enough stuff around and it starts working, you can’t rule out that the simple slant of living stuff around (temporarily) alleviated the problem.