1998 to 2004 Grand Cherokee Reliability

OldButStillJeeping

Old School Jeep TJ Tinker
Supporting Member
So, I sold my beloved 05' TJ a couple years ago and got a new JT Mojave. The JT is my wife's daily, and it now has around 25K miles on the clock
Knock on wood, it's been a good Jeep.

Anyway, I don't social media much so I'm stopping in here to ask a question. I'm considering buying a beater. A Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, V8, WJ, for cheap. As a winter vehicle where I now live in Wisconsin. 130,000 miles on it.

Any advice or reviews on 1998 thru 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited 's would be appreciated.

Thank you

Grey areas to watch for : transmission , evaporator coil , electrical system.

Thank you. It made a horrendous sound when put into reverse. But it was about 0 degrees Fahrenheit at the time. (32 below freezing).

Not feeling like swapping a out a transmission on a rusty vehicle at Temps sometimes 20 below zero, I passed on it.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
From looking at WJs in the past it seems the v8 was prone to head gasket issues, so I was only looking at 4.0 models. The ones I looked at seemed to share the same issues the XJs had, electronic window and lock issues probably related to old wiring in the doors. Its easier now to find a ZJ or WK cheaper than an XJ.

Grey areas to watch for : transmission , evaporator coil , electrical system.
That's why I sold my V8 '02 after nine years in 2011. Otherwise, I loved that car but as a daily, I just couldn't deal with a new electrical problem every month:(

• Sad
Reactions: ColoJeep