1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ Will Not Start

Westlotorn

Hello All, hope you had a great Christmas. I am up against an issue I have not yet solved.
First, the Jeep is a TJ, 1999 Wrangler, 2.5L 5 Speed manual with BF Goodrich off road tires.
History, 3 years ago we rebuilt the entire engine, had to replace the block due to a piston fracture, factory defect the skirts fell off and a rod went through the cylinder wall at 135,000 miles. Rebuilt the engine, new clutch, changed all fluids, fixed the brakes. Repaired the rear Differential, all the ring gear bolts fell off? Odd problem.
After all the repairs this rig ran great to 172,000 miles. Passed smog clean had great power for a little engine. MPG 16 city and close to 20 on hwy. It did not burn any oil between oil changes at 3,000 miles.

Now, it started running rough and hard to start then quickly went to a no start condition.
It has battery, it will turn over just fine but will not start.
Compression checked, 140 pounds pretty even on all 4 cylinders.
Fuel Pressure checked to be at 48 pounds on my gauge.
Spark? This is an odd one, I sprayed ether, (starting fluid) into the throttle body, not even a pop. Should have ignited really hard but not even a pop.
So I tell myself it is a no Spark issue. Pull the plugs, all are fouled and a little brown. As good as it ran I thought they would all be near white in color.
I cleaned them all, hit them with a propane torch to make sure they were dry. I also pointed my torch into each cylinder. One at a time they all showed me where the ether had landed. They popped and blue flame jumped out of each hole and burned out.
OK, I think now I have it, plugs were fouled. I put each plug on its wire, grounded the plug and turned the engine over. Each Plug had great spark on its own wire,
So I think, all 4 plugs are sparking, all 4 plug wires are good, distributor must be working?, Crank Sensor must be working, I put all the plugs back in and put a little gasoline on the throttle body butterfly and tried to start the engine.
Nothing other than one single pop out the exhaust.
Pulled the plugs, they are all wet and fouled again. Dried them once again, verified spark and reinstalled them.
Sprayed a little ether and turned the key. Again, one weak pop out the exhaust and no attempt to actually start, even on ether.

So I decide something is bad wrong. I plug my inova code reader into the OBD2 port. It lights up and starts checking for a connection. Says it cannot connect to this protocol? I have tried several times, my good code reader will not connect.
I check. The OBD port has a strong 12 V at the #16 port. #4 port has good ground. #3 has 2.48V, #6 has 4.258V, #7 is dead, #7 is fed by a red wire and I understand it should have a voltage reading I need to trace this wire.

I did test the Crankshaft sensor separately just to verify it is good, I checked the wires feeding the crankshaft sensor to the computer and they tested good.

I had the thought that maybe I picked up a bad load of fuel with lots of water in it gas tank is full. I thought that the water would kill my spark plugs and would not ignite.
I unplugged all 4 injectors cleaned all 4 plugs and did the fire in the cylinders again. Put fresh gas in the throttle body and turned it over. It did pop 2 or 3 times but would not fire. I added a little more and it no longer tried to start. Pulled plugs, they are wet again so I had to clean them once more.
Plugs were new with this engine and are iridiums, they spark when clean but not when wet these plugs should last 200,000 miles and these are at 35,000.

I need to get this running and I am stumped.

Right now I do not know if the code reader would have worked when the engine was running well. Last time I hooked it up was a long time ago and all was fine.

I plan to try and trace why the Red wire feed to #7 port on the OBD2 is dead.

One more thing that may be very important: When this first started I guessed the computer or ECM /. PCM might be at fault. I took it off the car and water dripped out, I opened it up and a fair amount of water dripped out. I said AH HA, I found the issue. Sent the PCM in for a rebuild.
They sent it back to me with a nice note saying they tested this unit and it has no issues so they returned my money? I would have paid and never known any better but they said it was fine so I reinstalled and the same unit is still in this car.

I have left out some of the details but this is what I am working on. I am hoping someone says we have seen this 100 times and you need to fix X, whatever x is.

Since the cylinders were wet with fuel I assume the camshaft position sensor is working and I have read it only affects fuel delivery, since this engine would not run on starting fluid I am not sure where to go next.

If the spark is so far off that it is sparking on the exhaust stroke that may explain the lack of start while I have spark but how could that happen?

Thanks and I hope I at least provided some entertainment for you.

Mark

Reactions: Mjv
Water in the PCM? That doesn't sound good. I'd be skeptical, because what you're describing to me sounds like either a potentially bad PCM, or a some sort of a wiring / ground issue.

You could always ask @Wranglerfix if you could send him your PCM to test / take a look at. I suspect he would give you a really honest second opinion.

If it's not the PCM, I'm guessing it's related to the wiring, especially given that your OBDII scanner can't seem to connect to the vehicle.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Was the distributor remove during the process, if you have spark, compression and fuel (or ether) technically it should start and run. Sounds like a timing issue to me.

Distributor was removed at engine rebuild 3 years ago, ran perfect for a long time, has not been touched since the rebuild 35,000 miles ago.
I agree, spark, compression and fuel should make noise.
Spark is going away or is so far off time that there is no compression when it is sparking.
Even if 180* out of time I should at least get pops in the intake or exhaust.
I get nothing but wet fouled plugs? Injectors are all disconnected at this point.
Fuel rail is holding pressure so injectors don't seem to be leaking.

Distributor was removed at engine rebuild 3 years ago, ran perfect for a long time, has not been touched since the rebuild 35,000 miles ago.
I agree, spark, compression and fuel should make noise.
Spark is going away or is so far off time that there is no compression when it is sparking.
Even if 180* out of time I should at least get pops in the intake or exhaust.
I get nothing but wet fouled plugs? Injectors are all disconnected at this point.
Fuel rail is holding pressure so injectors don't seem to be leaking.

Sticking with the most basic approaches I would double check TDC thru the number 1 cylinder so you know for a fact the piston is at the top of the stroke.

The engine has been run 35,000 miles at the current set up but now it is not running.
I know the cam and crank are in sync, new timing chain and tensioner at rebuild, compression is good.
I will verify the Distributor Rotor is pointing at #1 wire when at TDC. That is mechanical and I fully expect no change.

More info after more checking:
Gauges are affected, Battery gauge or volt meter is dead at all times, Tach is dead while cranking, no small bumps or movement at all. Fuel gauge is either dead but showing 100% full or it is getting a bad signal also.

I verified I have power in the glove box at fuses 9-12, all are hot with 12V when the key is in on position.

Did a hard computer reboot, removed the battery cables, clamped them together, removed the PCM from the car let it sit overnight.

This did change something. When I hooked everthing up and turned the key it immediately tried to start.
A little burned exhaust came out the tailpipe. I tried again and again, it would sound like it wanted to start and then not.
After a few tries it did not try to start at all anymore. Again I tried ether or starting fluid with no change and no longer trying at all to fire.
I suspect when it was trying to fire that only one plug was sparking or in the right place when it tried.
That is what it sounded like and then that one plug fouled out or the computer got bad signals and it stopped trying to start.

I have tested the ECM or PCM, computer best I can. One of the 5V power terminals only has 4V the other had 5.2 V.

Replaced Crankshaft sensor today. Still no joy. Dang

Check engine light comes on when key is turned to run position and goes out after 5 seconds or so. Normal I think?

After a hard reboot the engine tries to start but again only sounds like 1 cylinder is trying. Just enough to speed up the cranking speed. Oil pressure gauge is reading correctly. Fuel Gauge comes on pegged to full tank and does not move. Tach shows no imput, it sits dead the entire time engine cranks. I should be bumping as the key is turned showing the engine is rotating but I don't get that. Volt meter shows zero and does not move at all.
Battery is a good battery, I keep the charger connected so it is always at or above 12.6V. Starter is spinning nicely.
Still no start.
Thanks, I think I leave these notes for therapy.
Mark

I had something similar on my 98 TJ 4.0. Chased most everything you have mentioned till I accidentally found the coil wire had a straight end off the coil with the boot curving and laying against the distributor housing shorting out after it had aged. It was firing through the boot and grounding out. I put a new coil wire with angle connectors on both ends and never had a problem since. Worth looking at. Good Luck To You.

Sorry for slow reply, still working on it but been away for family commitments.
Coil wire is in good shape, no sign of it grounding.
Looking in fuse box behind glove box finding odd things.
Fuses # 3,4, and 17 are dead, no 12V power no blown fuses

3 says Sub Woofer, I dont have one
4 says Door SW Defeat Whatever that is
17 says FRT Wiper 25A but has a 15 amp fuse in it.
All three of these fuses are not blown and all 3 have no power

OK, my redneck test. I applied 12V to the fused side of #4 and the fuse blew. Tells me the wire that feeds fuse #4 is grounded. It should supply 12V I suspect. I hoped to apply power and have my dead circuits fire back up, no joy.
I did this test with the Key on, did not try Key off.

I keep looking as I have time.
Still have the same conditions:
Will not start but turns over good
Check Engine Light on dash comes on every time I turn the key and goes off after 5-10 seconds, seems normal
Volt Gauge, Tach and Fuel gauge are not working when I try to start, tach should show the needle bumping as it turns over, it sits dead with no movement as the engine cranks.
Headlights are not working but the chime comes on when I pull the light switch on low beam, high beams work normally. Running lights are working normal.

Opened up the Computer, looked for any sign of burned or melted parts/connections, all look good.
I used a magnifier. The capacitors looked fine no sign of leaking, heat or expansion. I had new ones but did not install them.

Still checking but still no answers

Just found the Link to the FSM ( factory service Manual ) for the 99 TJ it is available on this forum in PDF format.
Thank You, I will do some reading and learning from the FSM and see if an answer shows up.

Knowing what codes you've got would be helpful. Since you can't get codes with your reader, have you tried picking up a different one or using a buddy's?

There is a dead pin in the OBD2 port so information is not getting to the Port to read, this model does not show in the dash either so codes are hidden although the check engine light comes on and goes off with each attempt to start.
I think I have wire issues but it still may be in the PCM

Hello Mark. I’m new to the forum today. I have a 1997 TJ 4.0L with the exact same symptoms and will be following this thread very closely. I’ve checked the CPS and read “0” resistance between the B-C terminals. So, I’ve ruled out the CPS and am headed to the distributor sensor for my next step. ???

My reading on here said if the Camshaft position sensor located in the distributor is working your fuel injectors will work, if it is not the Fuel Injectors will not function. I believe it said the only function of the Camshaft posistion sensor was to support the Fuel injection.
You could spray some gasoline in the throttle body inlet above the butterfly and turn the engine over. If it starts your issue is with the Cam Position Sensor or maybe your Fuel pump fuel supply system.

My injectors are working and I have 48 PSI in the fuel rail while cranking so I ruled out the Cam position sensor.