1999 SE from stock

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So, is this the place for a build design thread or does that belong in the TJ section? I'm starting to get a handle on what the SE could use, but need to bounce ideas off the experts before I start writing checks.

So, is this the place for a build design thread or does that belong in the TJ section? I'm starting to get a handle on what the SE could use, but need to bounce ideas off the experts before I start writing checks.

This is the place... I look forward to seeing this!

That's a long coming right up :D
Work got in the way of play time, unfortunately. But here is a shot of the jeep in the parking lot...

Jeep_DS.jpeg

Isn't she a beauty? Needs a bath at the moment though. I'm really worried about those tires rubbing at full stuff. :p

Reactions: KCsTJ and Jeep R/T
Here's a shot of the Family Jeeps so far. This was up in Tacoma right after getting out of the movie theater, and before we started heading home. Loved the new Star Wars Movie. But then, Star Wars is a family tradition...

Family Jeeps.jpeg

The tall guy behind the Jeeps is my oldest son in law. The laddie to the left is oldest grandson and the person in the red coat in the background is my oldest daughter. You can see the Hi Lift mounted to the front bumper on my very expensive custom mounts. The headlights are Hella e-codes. A MAJOR improvement over stock.

Reactions: Chris
Work got in the way of play time, unfortunately. But here is a shot of the jeep in the parking lot...

View attachment 1900

Isn't she a beauty? Needs a bath at the moment though. I'm really worried about those tires rubbing at full stuff. :p

Nice! Looks like you have the same sliding upper door windows as me. If it's windy mine don't seal all that well when going down the road.

Nice! Looks like you have the same sliding upper door windows as me. If it's windy mine don't seal all that well when going down the road.
They're made by Steel Horse, a company long out of business. That's truth that those things don't seal very well. I figure that it's a rag top Jeep though. Nothing seals very well. With all of the rain and ick up here on a regular basis, it's just part of life. Even if they did seal well, the inside of the Jeep is going to get soaked just from getting in and out. The windows do slide nicely and I like them better than the zipper windows. One of the "locks" broke off, the little plastic hook thingy, and I need to fab something up to replace it. It's a pretty low priority. If someone wants in, there is always a handy zipper available.

Oh god... Your bank account will hate you big time. It's amazing to think of the money I've dropped on my Rubicon in such a short amount of time. We're talking at least 10k.

Reactions: StG58
Some of the local kids must really like Jeep hubcaps. I lost three in the space of a few days. When I went to the local dealership, they wanted about $55 each for them. About died when the guy behind the counter told me the price and the delivery time. So...off to Ace Hardware.

Front Wheel.jpeg

Those are the plugs that electricians use to seal up holes in junction boxes. You have to fiddle around a little trying different manufacturers, but when you find the right size, they fit perfectly. IIRC I paid 79 cents each or close to that. Works for me!

Reactions: Chris
They're made by Steel Horse, a company long out of business. That's truth that those things don't seal very well. I figure that it's a rag top Jeep though. Nothing seals very well. With all of the rain and ick up here on a regular basis, it's just part of life. Even if they did seal well, the inside of the Jeep is going to get soaked just from getting in and out. The windows do slide nicely and I like them better than the zipper windows. One of the "locks" broke off, the little plastic hook thingy, and I need to fab something up to replace it. It's a pretty low priority. If someone wants in, there is always a handy zipper available.

Mine are Steel Horse also. I pulled hard on the top of the windows and bent the pins a bit so mine seal better than they did when I first got my Jeep.

Reactions: ac_
Oh god... Your bank account will hate you big time. It's amazing to think of the money I've dropped on my Rubicon in such a short amount of time. We're talking at least 10k.
Yup, and you started out with some pretty descent running gear. It would be much cheaper for me to go out and just buy an already set up Rubicon and modify that to meet my needs. But, this is my Jeep and she's part of the family now. Besides, the youngest grandson already has designs on her. He's convinced himself that he gets her when he gets old enough to drive. Gotta love kids.

Some of the local kids must really like Jeep hubcaps. I lost three in the space of a few days. When I went to the local dealership, they wanted about $55 each for them. About died when the guy behind the counter told me the price and the delivery time. So...off to Ace Hardware.

View attachment 1906

Those are the plugs that electricians use to seal up holes in junction boxes. You have to fiddle around a little trying different manufacturers, but when you find the right size, they fit perfectly. IIRC I paid 79 cents each or close to that. Works for me!

I did the same thing to fill the 1" hole in my rocker panels. I used 1" black plastic plugs from Ace Hardware.

Yup, and you started out with some pretty descent running gear. It would be much cheaper for me to go out and just buy an already set up Rubicon and modify that to meet my needs. But, this is my Jeep and she's part of the family now. Besides, the youngest grandson already has designs on her. He's convinced himself that he gets her when he gets old enough to drive. Gotta love kids.

True... If I had a base model TJ I'd have needed new axles, lockers and a SYE. So the Rubicon gave me those advantages, plus a really nice transfer case.

My daughter REALLY loves the Jeep though. She's always asking to ride in it and she's only 3.