1999 TJ has smog issues

Blacktac115

My 99 tj 4.0 manual won’t set the catalyst monitor or the evap monitor. There are no codes or pending codes, I have done the drive cycles several times both in the road and on jack stands. Fuel between 1/2 & 3/4 All the other monitors are set. My check engine light is burned out, and I have to remove my roll cage to change the bulb. Is there any way having the light burned out would block the drive cycles from setting? Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? I just need one more monitor to set to get it to pass smog.

My 99 tj 4.0 manual won’t set the catalyst monitor or the evap monitor. There are no codes or pending codes, I have done the drive cycles several times both in the road and on jack stands. Fuel between 1/2 & 3/4 All the other monitors are set. My check engine light is burned out, and I have to remove my roll cage to change the bulb. Is there any way having the light burned out would block the drive cycles from setting? Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? I just need one more monitor to set to get it to pass smog.
Don’t you need the CEL light operational to pass smog?

A burned out CEL light bulb could possibly be causing that problem.

I highly doubt the light will stop the cycle from completing. However in The People Republic of California the light is required.

A slow o2 sensor "might" cause it to not set. Without looking at live data its hard to say.

But if I remember correctly you are allowed 1 monitor not ready. Unless the dictatorship changed that.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I highly doubt the light will stop the cycle from completing. However in The People Republic of California the light is required.

A slow o2 sensor "might" cause it to not set. Without looking at live data its hard to say.

But if I remember correctly you are allowed 1 monitor not ready. Unless the dictatorship changed that.
I also doubt the CEL will stop the cycle from completing, but now that I have reread what the OP wrote " won’t set the catalyst monitor or the evap monitor"; the fact the Evap Monitor is not set is where his problem is..
This could be caused by a Evap System Leak or a Bad Purge Solenoid.
And IF the CEL is burned out as he states; then he should replace the bulb "not to complete the cycle, but to identify when there is a problem that needs attention.

Yeah, I just need one more to set. The 99s it doesn’t need to be a specific one like some others that it won’t pass you if the cat isn’t set. But I have been driving enough that I would think it would through a code by now if there was something wrong. I wish I knew of a code reader that would show all the required conditions like the dealers have.

In Ca you did when we lived there, Id think so still as laws have not gotten more lenient. Same goes for the "visual" check. Anything out of line or modded must have a CARB sticker on it to fly.
You definitely need the light to come on when you t my run the key and then turn off with no codes. But I have been trying to get the monitors to set before I take the top off to get the roll cage out so I don’t have to keep driving it without my cage to try to get the monitors to set

I also doubt the CEL will stop the cycle from completing, but now that I have reread what the OP wrote " won’t set the catalyst monitor or the evap monitor"; the fact the Evap Monitor is not set is where his problem is..
This could be caused by a Evap System Leak or a Bad Purge Solenoid.
And IF the CEL is burned out as he states; then he should replace the bulb "not to complete the cycle, but to identify when there is a problem that needs attention.
My thought was that it would though a code if there was an evap leak, and that I would see that on my scanner. I have no codes or pending codes, but I was wondering if it has to complete the circuit where the cel bulb is when you turn the turn the key to complete some cycle or something

Wouldn’t you have an code come up for a slow o2 sensor?

You definitely need the light to come on when you t my run the key and then turn off with no codes. But I have been trying to get the monitors to set before I take the top off to get the roll cage out so I don’t have to keep driving it without my cage to try to get the monitors to set
I'm not sure you need to take the cage off to change the bulb. You just need to take the steering wheel surround off and the.

Is your cage blocking the top vent trim from coming off?

Wouldn’t you have an code come up for a slow o2 sensor?
Not always. If memory serves me correctly. The inlaws had a Kia that had the same problem. But they were cheap and didn't want to replace the o2. After it cost me 200 it set quickly...... I am NOT advising you to replace yours. But something to look at.

I'm not sure you need to take the cage off to change the bulb. You just need to take the steering wheel surround off and the.

Is your cage blocking the top vent trim from coming off?
Yeah, it’s a full aftermarket cage and there is a cross dash tie bar that prevents the top trim from being removed.

Not always. If memory serves me correctly. The inlaws had a Kia that had the same problem. But they were cheap and didn't want to replace the o2. After it cost me 200 it set quickly...... I am NOT advising you to replace yours. But something to look at.
Do you happen know what the voltage is supposed to be for the sensors?

He is a idea, wire the Check engine light to a oil pressure sender so that the light is on but turns off when engine starts.
Lol. I still need one more monitor to set. And it seems like just replacing the bulb would be just as easy because I would still need to pull the dash

You can!!!!! Take off the knee panel and give her the old reach around. It isn't nice but it might be better Than your other option
20220130_115441.jpg

The back of the cluster is open to a point.