1999 TJ Reverse Door Handles

It is probably a bit more aerodynamic with the handles facing the TJ way. :LOL:

When they are mounted the other way like on the CJ and YJ models, air is going to get into that little pocket and stop under the door handle. Mounted "backwards" on the TJ, it seems like the air would just go over the handle assembly.
Overthinking are we? 😂

It is probably a bit more aerodynamic with the handles facing the TJ way. :LOL:

When they are mounted the other way like on the CJ and YJ models, air is going to get into that little pocket and stop under the door handle. Mounted "backwards" on the TJ, it seems like the air would just go over the handle assembly.

I dont think aerodynamics will help me much, being the 4 cylinder doesnt make the TJ go fast enough for the air to move around it.

Ummmm . . .

HlA8G8y.png

Earlier today I saw a very old and somewhat abused Jeepster Commando sitting at a used car lot that seems to be permanently closed. From what I see I'd say the CJ/YJ style door handle design was a huge improvement in stopping tree branches from snagging the handles and opening the doors, if not ripping the handles completely off.

I also think that somehow my phone led RustyAutoholicGuy to add to this thread this morning as I took these pictures.

IMG_20200513_100446985.jpg

IMG_20200513_100521568.jpg

I like this idea. I just purchased new handles to replace the old ones so I'll give this a try when they come in.

Did you just flip the handles upside down or did you have to swap the left and right handles and then flip them?

I've always felt like the handles were awkward, but I've never owned a YJ or any other older Jeep so I never even knew they got switched and it never occurred to me to change them. I may tackle this some time this summer. My doors are off and sitting 8 feet from me in my home office so it would be easy to do in 15 minute chunks...

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Earlier today I saw a very old and somewhat abused Jeepster Commando sitting at a used car lot that seems to be permanently closed. From what I see I'd say the CJ/YJ style door handle design was a huge improvement in stopping tree branches from snagging the handles and opening the doors, if not ripping the handles completely off.

I also think that somehow my phone led RustyAutoholicGuy to add to this thread this morning as I took these pictures.

View attachment 161168

View attachment 161169

It might be because I don't have two pots of coffee in me yet, but I swear I've read that sentence 10 times and I don't know what you mean 🤔 . . . I think I need more coffee!

*EDIT 3 minutes later* NOPE I think I get it now! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: fooey
Itll immediately blow your mind how much better it is.

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and rolled my eyes. Then yesterday we were hopping in the TJ to go to hockey, and as I approached from the rear of the Jeep I awkwardly hooked the door handle with my left thumb and said a mild curse in my head as I pulled the door open. I immediately thought of this thread. Now I have to do it.

this door handle direction swap thing between YJ's and TJ's must of just been a thing on the full doors...the half doors I have on both my jeeps have handles that swing in the same direction
I noticed that as well shopping for tube doors

this door handle direction swap thing between YJ's and TJ's must of just been a thing on the full doors...the half doors I have on both my jeeps have handles that swing in the same direction

I'm in the market for half doors and now I want to know if I can swap around the door handles as well!

I just did this mod today. First door took an hour or so and second door took about 20 minutes.

I replaced the door handles at the same time.

You only have to make two easy bends in the existing actuator rod to get it to line up properly. It took me three times with the first door, but on the second door I got it right the first time.

The difference in walking up and opening the doors is amazing!

Thx for posting and for the help HondaXR250.

I just did this mod today. First door took an hour or so and second door took about 20 minutes.

I replaced the door handles at the same time.

You only have to make two easy bends in the existing actuator rod to get it to line up properly. It took me three times with the first door, but on the second door I got it right the first time.

The difference in walking up and opening the doors is amazing!

Thx for posting and for the help HondaXR250.
Very happy you got it done, and like it!