1999 TJ Sahara Fender Replacement Suggestions

Bartman

Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I need a Right Front Fender for a 99 TJ Sahara. I can't find a used one locally, so it looks like I'm going to have to go "After Market." Can you guys steer me in the right direction, so I don't go wrong? I've found tons of "cheap deals" on some, but I really don't trust the quality. Through PARTS GEEK, I found one that says "
  • CAPA Certified
  • OE Replacement
  • $354.67 delivered
What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I would never, ever recommend going with aftermarket OEM style replacement fenders. Find a wrecking yard that will ship you a used one. You’ll thank me ten times over for avoiding the hassle you’re about to get yourself into. I’ve never seen any aftermarket body part that doesn’t require great amounts of massaging and finessing to get installed correctly with gaps that line up.

I would never, ever recommend going with aftermarket OEM style replacement fenders. Find a wrecking yard that will ship you a used one. You’ll thank me ten times over for avoiding the hassle you’re about to get yourself into. I’ve never seen any aftermarket body part that doesn’t require great amounts of massaging and finessing to get installed correctly with gaps that line up.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was hoping there was one that was an "actual" bolt-on replacement.

Thanks.

Reactions: Chris
I have aftermarket replacement fenders on my Jeep, put on by a previous owner. They fit well enough, but they are thinner material than OEM, so they are not as strong. Not a big deal on a street driven Jeep, but they fold like aluminum foil off-road.

Reactions: Chris
I have aftermarket replacement fenders on my Jeep, put on by a previous owner. They fit well enough, but they are thinner material than OEM, so they are not as strong. Not a big deal on a street driven Jeep, but they fold like aluminum foil off-road.

Thanks, Mike. I'm now on a mad internet dash trying to find used OEM that aren't too far from me. So far, 7 1/2 hours away is the closest I have found. Do you happen to know what "brand" your fenders are?

i’d pay the extra $ to have a good used oem fender shipped myself. reasons are 1. you know that it’s gonna fit and 2. it’s oem quality.

Reactions: Bartman
Thanks, Mike. I'm now on a mad internet dash trying to find used OEM that aren't too far from me. So far, 7 1/2 hours away is the closest I have found. Do you happen to know what "brand" your fenders are?

No idea. Like I said, they were installed and painted when I bought it. I only know they were replacements because the guy I bought it from told me he replaced them…knowing what I know now about rust and TJ’s, I’d have told him, “thank you for your time.” and walked away at that point.

Reactions: Bartman
i’d pay the extra $ to have a good used oem fender shipped myself. reasons are 1. you know that it’s gonna fit and 2. it’s oem quality.

Well, I finally found a good used OEM fender on ebay, AND it's actually the same color as my Sahara. It'll be here about the 14th. I've been really dragging my feet on get much work done. Now that I have rounded up all the parts, the heat is the only drawback. So, I'm going to have to start getting up earlier, and getting my work in before it's too hot. I'm in no real rush since it's supposed to be a project to get me off the couch. But, with the excitement brewing again, I want to get after it!
Thanks for keeping me straight on the OEM vs Aftermarket "drama." I appreciate the sound advice. In case you're wondering, $301 shipped.

The OMIX (Rugged Ridge) bolted right up for us. It’s been two years and no issues. Even came with stainless hardware.