1999 Wrangler TJ - Advice Needed On Sound System

jj_ct_1

We just bought a 1999 - and it has a nice upgrade to the audio head unit (JVC) - The speakers sound like junk thought - I assume it has only 2 speakers in the front as stock and I dont see any speakers in rear.

Any advise - what is the easiest to add 2 speakerss in the back - how - ? what is the easiest approach and is the speaker wiring available for rear (as stock)?

THanks,
john

Guys around here use Polk speakers. And you should have two in the dash and two in the soundbar above your head and behind. If no soundbar you can buy one for around $150 or less. You may also have a subwoofer in your center console.

I would definitely suggest you get the 5.25 inch plate adapter and put 5.25s in the dash rather than a pair of 4x6. Just be careful with coaxial as some have the tweeter mounted in such a manner that they will interfere with the cover/grill.

I’ve used polks (db652 if I remember the model right) before and they’re good sounding ‘budget’ speakers. I used to compete in sound quality competitions many years ago so my definition of ‘budget’ and ‘expensive’ is probably different than most.

Reactions: Flivver250
Thanks for the responses. I am definitely sure that there are no rear speakers or sound bars provided as as stock. I am thinking to get some decent bass sound a sound bar or rest 6x9s retrofitted will sound better than front mods. Let’s see

It’s rare to see the overhead sound bar gone ...daveys jeeps may have one ... it’s great set up .

It all depends on how you use your rig. Sound bar is a good solution. But if you run no backseat you can build your own boxes for 6x9. All Jeeps need a powered sub in my estimation. I have the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. Polk makes solid replacement dash and sound bar speakers

A powered sub will make a HUGE difference. I'd you have room under the drivers seat there are several good options that will fit. And go for the 5 1/4" speakers up front. I tried the 4×6 Polks, but swapped them out quickly. And a small amp for the main speakers really cleans up the sound.

Any updates on this? I recently bought a 1998 TJ, but have no idea where to start with the sound system upgrade. I currently have 4 speakers, but would like to add the addition 2 speakers on top of the dash, or maybe even the sky ones behind the rear view mirror.

I figure I will need an amp, and a subwoofer, but if i only have 4 speakes how to i add an additional two? plus the amp and subwoofer?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

I have 8 speakers + 1 sub and 3 amps. A pair of 6x9's in boxes on the rear wheel well humps addd considerably to the system. My deck has outputs for two amps and a subwoofer. I put splitters on the output RCA cablers so I could send signal to all of the amp inputs. It's a Jeep, not a soundproof listening room. It sounds great for the environment I had to work with. I used 6 Kenwood speakers and a JBL sub, Alpine deck, and 2 Pioneer amps and 1 Alpine amp. I was not worried about mixing and matching. Not a huge amount invested, but it cranks without distorting. BTW, ditch the 4x6's in the dash and put round ones with an adapter. I put 2 Alpine speakers in the dash, I think they were 5.25 inch coaxials, and I put tweeters up on the dash to brighten up the front a tad. 4x6 was always a bad idea. I installed Polk speakers on a motorcycle. They were good too. IMHO, no better sounding than the Kenwoods, but the ones I bought were water resistant.

I have 8 speakers + 1 sub and 3 amps. A pair of 6x9's in boxes on the rear wheel well humps addd considerably to the system. My deck has outputs for two amps and a subwoofer. I put splitters on the output RCA cablers so I could send signal to all of the amp inputs. It's a Jeep, not a soundproof listening room. It sounds great for the environment I had to work with. I used 6 Kenwood speakers and a JBL sub, Alpine deck, and 2 Pioneer amps and 1 Alpine amp. I was not worried about mixing and matching. Not a huge amount invested, but it cranks without distorting. BTW, ditch the 4x6's in the dash and put round ones with an adapter. I put 2 Alpine speakers in the dash, I think they were 5.25 inch coaxials, and I put tweeters up on the dash to brighten up the front a tad. 4x6 was always a bad idea. I installed Polk speakers on a motorcycle. They were good too. IMHO, no better sounding than the Kenwoods, but the ones I bought were water resistant.
Wow! Thanks for the info!

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but how exactly does all of this work, if the car only has 6 speaker wires? The jeep already has an upgraded radio system, (kenwood)

So, if i install an amp, and the additional 2 speakers either on top of the dash, or behind the rearview mirror, as well as a subwoofer in the center console, where and how do i connect it all?

I have absolutely 0 experience in this area, but am looking for a summer quarantine project, so this seems doable.

I ran all new, pure copper wires for the entire stereo, to include heavy gauge power and ground cables. The stock wires may be okay, but sound benefits from better cabling and wires at higher wattage. Confession, the previous owner had hacked and descrated the stock wires and I did not trust them. If your stock wires are virgin, they might be okay. You will have to run more speaker wires for more speakers. Use pure copper, that cheap aluminum clad wire from Amazon can corrode and crumble. Trust real copper. Any of the cheap wire I used under my hood failed immediately. I licked my wounded pride, ripped it out and installed the good stuff.

Many folks install the new amp under one of the front seats. You will have to run RCA cords from the deck to the amp, easy to do. From the amp, you would run wires to 4 speakers. You can also get a 5 channel amp and run output to the sub-woofer. Your deck itself must have a small internal amp for the current speakers, you could use that to power some small top of the dash speakers or tweeters. You may find you get more benefit out of good tweeters up top than those tiny pod speakers which often sound cheap and tinny. Good speakers in the dash and sound bar plus a sub and tweeters is how I would tackle it, but the choice is yours. In my system, the 6x9, sub and sound bar speakers move the majority of the sound, the two tweeters and two dash speakers fill the void up front and add depth.

BTW, a good way to tackle the project is to pull the front seats (and rear) for elbow room, pull the carpet and do the whole job in an open area. Good time to clean the tub, install heat/sound dampening material and new carpeting if needed. A thorough job done right and done once is always the best option. I did that and installed front seat risers that elevated my seat an inch and a half I think and I like the raised position. I'm 5'10" and it always felt Like I was sitting on the floor when it was stock. I think earlier models had higher platforms.

Just did full sound system in my LJ. Overhead pods are slightly different but I think most of rest would be similar. Isn’t nearly as much of system as Flivver250 outlined but the difference compared to stock is amazing. Start at post 25 in my build thread for a few notes and pics. Happy to send you any part numbers if interested.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/keychain-delivered.32981/page-2

BTW, a good way to tackle the project is to pull the front seats (and rear) for elbow room, pull the carpet and do the whole job in an open area. Good time to clean the tub, install heat/sound dampening material and new carpeting if needed. A thorough job done right and done once is always the best option. I did that and installed front seat risers that elevated my seat an inch and a half I think and I like the raised position. I'm 5'10" and it always felt Like I was sitting on the floor when it was stock. I think earlier models had higher platforms.
Thanks so much for your help! This is such a great starting point. I will do some research on how to install new speaker wires, and am definitely going to try and rewire and recarpet like you suggested. My TJ has a little bit of rusting in the tub so will have to fix that, might as well fix all of this. Any tips or videos on how to rewire and whatnot would be great, but youve already helped a ton!

I really appreciate your thorough response! Definitely saving my ass.

Just did full sound system in my LJ. Overhead pods are slightly different but I think most of rest would be similar. Isn’t nearly as much of system as Flivver250 outlined but the difference compared to stock is amazing. Start at post 25 in my build thread for a few notes and pics. Happy to send you any part numbers if interested.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/keychain-delivered.32981/page-2
Will take a look now! Thanks for sharing, hopefully this will help me get started on the upgrades! Thanks!

My tips, pay attention to + and - polarity from the amp to the speakers and make the wiring connections firm and well insulated. As I mention above, use good quality wire and cables. Better conductors make better sound. I often solder wires and use shrink tubing. Solder is not necessary in most cases, just an old school habit of mine. There are many ways to connect wires and insulate, from how you twist and wrap them, to what you use as the insulator. Take your time and pay attention to the schematics. If you have a friend who is good with stereo and vehicle wiring, ask for help and instruction. Most people love a chance to teach and preach. A 12 volt test light and multi-meter with an Ohm/volt scale is always at the ready when I am wiring. Use the Ohm scale to check continuity of the wire/cable. My recent install I had a channel out on one of the amps. In 2 minutes I diagnosed a bad RCA cable (brand new) with the Ohm meter. Below are a few tools that I find vital for basic electrical work on any vehicle. Also, do not try to save a few pennies with cheap electrical tape. That crap never lasts. Buy a good name brand top quality product. Place the appropriate amperage fuses for the amp and deck power supply wires. Always use the appropriate gauge wire based upon amperage draw. Your instructions should outline the amp draw and wire requirements. An amp usually has a direct feed to constant (the + on the battery) and it will also have low amperage + wire from the deck to the amp that switches the amp on when the deck is turned on. This is important, you don't want an amp always drawing power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHNMMS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018O18VUW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WOHSHM/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (optional)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771K1Z7Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last but not least, be aware that the bigger the amp, the more the demand on the battery and alternator. I don't crank mine long without the vehicle running and charging and I monitor battery and alternator health. Last thing I want is a dead battery out in the desert because I was blasting blues too much. I have three amps and I assume I could over tax my system while using it and too many other accessories like the winch, lights, and AC blower. New battery, new alternator, accurate digital charging system volt meter in dash and occasional restraint. When I am wheeling in the desert, I shut off all of my accessories and AC. Most TJ alternators are pretty powerful (mine is a 117 amp), typical stereo is not a burden.

BTW, the horrible wiring job I replaced was done by a retail car stereo store. Lucky the rig didn't burn. Some of the shops are great, some are bums trying to turn a quick buck.