1st post and 1st TJ - 10 millionth LED question. EDIT-Fixed (for now)

ToledoXJTJ

I just picked up a 99 with LED headlamps and tails, Front markers and signals are not hooked up at all. PO doesn't have much info other than he was told the kit he bought would work with OEM flasher module.

I guess he has been using hand signals for a while now so it sounds like it never worked, Now it's my problem

Here's what worked when i got the Jeep:
Headlights
Tail lights
Brake lights
Back up lights
dash signal arrows

Here's what didn't when I got the Jeep
Tun signals cause the module to buzz
Hazards also buzzed
If I accidentally use the stalk it kills the brake lights for a while. The fuses are all OK

Tried a couple new flasher modules
Replaced the one under the dash when I got it with an OEM spec EP 26 from Autozone.
Hazards work - no signals at all
No Dash arrows

Tried the EP 36 with 3 prongs (no bad bulb circuit?)
Hazards work, no signals at all
No Dash arrows

Do I need to get the front stuff installed before any of this works? I'm in over my head a bit on this one no matter how many threads I read

The 726 one is what was in the dash when I got the Jeep

image0.jpg

The front stuff needs to be hooked up.

LEDs in the render side markers will cause issues due to the floating grounds, so you’ll want to keep incandescent bulbs in the fender side markers.

...LEDs in the render side markers will cause issues due to the floating grounds, so you’ll want to keep incandescent bulbs in the fender side markers.
Same with the turn signals. The root problem is LED bulbs are not just light bulbs, they are also diodes which means they only allow current flow in one direction. The turn signals and side marker bulbs need to be able to pass current in both directions since the current flow direction changes when the headlights are turned on & off.

Reactions: Chris
Same with the turn signals. The root problem is LED bulbs are not just light bulbs, they are also diodes which means they only allow current flow in one direction. The turn signals and side marker bulbs need to be able to pass current in both directions since the current flow direction changes when the headlights are turned on & off.

I was actually able to get away with LED bulbs in my front turn signals without any issue, but I also had the EP26 LED flasher relay (as well as the Savvy taillights). My problem arose when I tried to then put LED bulbs in the side markers, which caused all sorts of crazy issues due to those floating grounds.

Update - and thank you for the replies. I will refer to this as I get the turns and markers hooked up.

I went to Autozone to see if yet a 3rd relay would work that I saw in another thread and in the testing process I grabbed the OEM spec EP26 and stuck it back in and the rear signals started working. No hazards though.

I have a 98 and I have changed every bulb to LEDs except for my fog lights and only have one problem if you want to call it a problem, my side markers and turn signals blink at the same time. I had to use the EP26 flasher. Chris and Jerry, what kind of issues should I be on the look out for?