1st time JEEP'r here, Nomadic Newbie w/ '00 TJ

BirdWrangler

Hey, fellow TJ lovers!

Long-time "gearhead" & DIY'r here.
Finally checking in to say "HI" after registering for the forums at the beginning of the year. (Jan. 2018)

About my Jeep
I bought my '00 TJ back in July '17, and have been very pleased with how easy it's been to maintain!
(Before this, we had an '07 Mini Cooper S. Fun little turbo-charged go-kart... but WAY over-engineered.*)
My crowning achievement with my TJ thus far is a successful replacement of its cooling system in mid-December 2017. (new radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, & serpentine belt)
I primarily used the info on this forum as reference for that project. (this thread & its associated links/threads)
So... THANK YOU, Chris! :cool:

Though it's nearly 20, my TJ's got under 80k miles on the engine currently. It has more on the chassis, but... the engine is actually original. (more on why**, later — in "About Me" section)
Pretty well stock right now, no upgrades.
The previous owner had it repainted from its original forest green. It looks great in gold, with a grey hardtop.
In 6-7 months of ownership, I've had the transmission (3-spd auto) serviced after it started getting rough & jerky.
Also had the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) replaced after a few incidents of complete shutdown.

All fixes have been cheap, and very DIY-friendly!
Compare to the dealer-only servicing of the Mini, which cost several-thousand every year.
(DIY was largely out of the question. Anyone else tried doing a "simple" *R56 thermostat replacement? ...just google the part, and you'll see what I mean.)

About Me
As stated in the title, I'm nomadic. I travel full-time in an RV ('91 Bluebird Wanderlodge) with my wife and three cats. So... while other members may introduce themselves as being a "member from X", you could find me driving/towing my Jeep... anywhere across the country!

We do winter in Florida, though — I'm currently typing this from outside Tampa Bay area.
(Our LLC is based in the state, and we have a mailing address here.)

Our RV/home is basically a bus, weighing in at ~17 tons & powered by a 300hp CAT diesel.
**We flat-tow the Jeep, and barely feel the difference as it follows dutifully behind us.

Be sure to give us the "jeep wave" if you see us in your area!
il_340x270.1163642086_dud6.jpg

OUR RIG, because... This thread is worthless without pics

26198314_1992235227457377_921130996475644231_o.jpg

Welcome to the group. Nothing wrong with the nomadic life. Wife and I are considering that lifestyle when we retire. Currently have a 25ft. Class C we flat tow our jeep with. Lets see more pics of your jeep.

Welcome to the forum. Jeeps are great for DIY’s. I’m not that Mechanically inclined but I’ve already taken my dash and steering column apart to fix small issues. Pretty simple to do. Lots of knowledgeable members here who are happy to answer questions and provide sound advice. Plus @Chris has provided a ton of videos and DIY instructions for various tasks.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum! I have a small 23 foot motorhome which I also tow the Jeep behind it, but not full time like you.
If you have followed this forum for very long, you know we "need" pictures. As the saying goes here "Pictures or it didn't happen". :)

If you ever happen to drive through Salem, Oregon, you need to stop by!

I could pick your brain, let me tell you! I've always talked to my wife about how I think it would be cool to live in a nice RV (BTW, NICE RV!!!) and have that be your home. However, I've heard that once you add in fuel, maintenance, and the cost of staying at places with RV hookups each night, it quickly becomes even more expensive than owning a house (albeit much more fun).

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it seems like you'd know better than I would. Do you guys stay at RV parks every night?

I'm envious man, let me tell you!

You don't need stay at an RV park at all if you don't want to. Just stop somewhere once in awhile and dump your black and grey tanks and fill up with water. We have stayed at places for a long time without any hook ups at all. On board generator charges up you batteries when ever needed.

You don't need stay at an RV park at all if you don't want to. Just stop somewhere once in awhile and dump your black and grey tanks and fill up with water. We have stayed at places for a long time without any hook ups at all. On board generator charges up you batteries when ever needed.

Cheaper than owning a house though, yes or no? That's what I'm really trying to figure out.

Hey, fellow TJ lovers!

Long-time "gearhead" & DIY'r here.
Finally checking in to say "HI" after registering for the forums at the beginning of the year. (Jan. 2018)

About my Jeep
I bought my '00 TJ back in July '17, and have been very pleased with how easy it's been to maintain!
(Before this, we had an '07 Mini Cooper S. Fun little turbo-charged go-kart... but WAY over-engineered.*)
My crowning achievement with my TJ thus far is a successful replacement of its cooling system in mid-December 2017. (new radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, & serpentine belt)
I primarily used the info on this forum as reference for that project. (this thread & its associated links/threads)
So... THANK YOU, Chris! :cool:

Though it's nearly 20, my TJ's got under 80k miles on the engine currently. It has more on the chassis, but... the engine is actually original. (more on why**, later — in "About Me" section)
Pretty well stock right now, no upgrades.
The previous owner had it repainted from its original forest green. It looks great in gold, with a grey hardtop.
In 6-7 months of ownership, I've had the transmission (3-spd auto) serviced after it started getting rough & jerky.
Also had the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) replaced after a few incidents of complete shutdown.

All fixes have been cheap, and very DIY-friendly!
Compare to the dealer-only servicing of the Mini, which cost several-thousand every year.
(DIY was largely out of the question. Anyone else tried doing a "simple" *R56 thermostat replacement? ...just google the part, and you'll see what I mean.)

About Me
As stated in the title, I'm nomadic. I travel full-time in an RV ('91 Bluebird Wanderlodge) with my wife and three cats. So... while other members may introduce themselves as being a "member from X", you could find me driving/towing my Jeep... anywhere across the country!

We do winter in Florida, though — I'm currently typing this from outside Tampa Bay area.
(Our LLC is based in the state, and we have a mailing address here.)

Our RV/home is basically a bus, weighing in at ~17 tons & powered by a 300hp CAT diesel.
**We flat-tow the Jeep, and barely feel the difference as it follows dutifully behind us.

Be sure to give us the "jeep wave" if you see us in your area!
View attachment 31661
OUR RIG, because... This thread is worthless without pics

View attachment 31679
Just Wow !!!!! that's not an Rv that's a small country......;) Welcome to the Forum

Reactions: Chris
As to the RV questions/comments...
I could pick your brain, let me tell you!
Do you guys stay at RV parks every night?
Pick away! We've been trying new things, including some free camping on BLM land, now that we're more familiar with our coach. (RV)
This lifestyle is really about opening yourself up to more options...
Cheaper than owning a house though, yes or no? That's what I'm really trying to figure out.
Good question here, but... I don't think there's an easy Y/N answer. As I say, it's about options. One could choose to cut back on costs in a huge number of ways, including:
  • staying put, so you don't burn fuel (not me! I love the travelling)
  • free camping (AKA "boondocking") — requires proper systems & preparation, if you want to be "off grid"
  • type of rig — you can go with any number of options here, that could decrease the maintenance costs...
So... TL;DR version? YES, it can be cheaper, but - as someone mentioned before - it depends on your "standard of living" or how you rate the importance of certain creature comforts & the like.

Just Wow !!!!! that's not an Rv that's a small country......;) Welcome to the Forum
:risas3:
... yeah, our rig is a behemoth by some standards. At a rally with other Wanderlodge owners, though? We were one of the "little guys" — some later models got to ~45 feet, with wider bodys... and slide-out(s)!
:eek:

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Kinda like a beach, but at 4,200ft!View attachment 36382
It's a really unique spot.
A lot of families come here and camp out for the day, like a "day at the beach"!
You can buy/rent sleds to slide down the dunes. (some get pretty tall / steep)

Oh wow! The little ripples in the snow make it look like really white sand. That's cool!