2.4 Exhaust Manifold Question

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! I've got a 2006 TJ with the 2.4 and a 6 speed. It's got a strange rattle on acceleration. It almost goes away when the engine warms up and it's not near as bad now that the weather is warmer. It was horrible this winter. It'sbeen getting progressively worse overall though and I've been trying to diagnose it for months now. I've heard a cracked exhaust manifold can cause this and they're known for cracking on the 2.4's. I'm planning on ordering a new one and replacing it here in the next few days. I've got 2 questions. 1. Does this sound like it's the issue? and 2. Do you guys know if the 2.4 has issues with the manifold bolts braking? Any help on this would be great. Thank you guys.

Nevermind guys. I went ahead and did it today and it wasn't bad at all. It looked like someone had already done it awhile back cuz one of the bolts was so loose, I could've probably gotten it out with just my hand. There were 2 massive cracks in the manifold though so It did need to be replaced. I do still hear the rattle though which worries me a bit. I also smell burning plastic whenever it runs. I think it's a loose piece of wire loom or something touching the exhaust so I'm not too worried about that. It'll burn off and go away :LOL: