2.5 and a turbo

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Another thread got me to thinking about the 2.5 SE's and engine performance mods. THAT got me to cruising the interwebs in search of information and ideas. (Sorry folks, I'm layed up at the moment and have too much time on my hands)

So here is my pain killer enhanced stream of consciousness...it's Oregon right? The snowflakes seem to be rubbing off or something.

The basics: The Jeep 2.5 liter I4 has a long and illustrious history of pushing lightweight rigs around on and off road. It's simple, not a lot of moving parts. Oil changes, tuneups and etc are slightly cheaper than the 4.0. It adds up over time. It's lightweight and compact, shaving a couple of hundred pounds or so off the I6 and AX15 combo. Lots of room to maintain and repair it under the hood. It falls on its face with heavy rigs and big tires. It can be miserable to drive on the highway if it's set up wrong. Heavy loads and hills can make you pull your hair out if you aren't Zen about it. (I'm not having issues there, third gear is my friend)

Browsing out on the interwebs, specifically ebay, results in numerous "turbo kits" for the 2.5 that promise results that range from the ridiculous to the sublime. Some are just piping kits and others are the full meal deal. All of them that include the turbo seem to be based off a hybrid T3-T4 turbo. Some of them have air to air intercoolers. All of them seem to be boost adjustable from very low ranges, say a few pounds boost, up to 30 - 35 pounds boost. Most require the use of premium fuel, and all of them require premium at higher boost levels. The advertised power gains? The average seems to run in the 40% increase in HP and torque range. Congratulations. You just converted your 2.5 to a 4.0 in other words. And made it half again more complex, using parts that may or may not be available when they cack a hairball because the company that produced them may or may not still be in business. Or they may have decided that hot rodding 2.5 TJ's is a money loosing proposition. AEV or OR-Fab anyone? I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

Now lets say that you've found a turbo kit manufacturer that swears on their mother's grave that they will be around at least as long as you own your TJ. Parts will be available forever! The installation instructions are clear and complete. Everything bolts right up, and the default piggy back controller programming doesn't cause your 2.5 to have an unplanned disassembly when you fire it off. Now comes the interesting part. The piggyback programmer is generic. It needs to be programmed for your specific setup and conditions. That means plugging it into a laptop with custom software on it. Once it's plugged in and talking, then you need to create a custom fuel and spark advance / retard mapping. The "Tuner" guys do it all the time, or at least have a shop handy that knows how to do that. I can see the conversation now though, when you take your TJ SE in to get mapped. "Howdy, I need a custom computer tune for my TJ. I'd like to keep the power and torque bands in the same general areas they are now, or possibly move the max torque peak 500 RPM lower if you would." You could reasonably expect that request to be followed by a blank stare and laughter.

Then there is the knock-on drive train mods required. Specifically the AX5, if you have one of those. (I don't do automatics, so I'm not even going there) Everything else can be easily addressed, the Dana 30/35, the transfer case. But that AX5 is going to bite you, hard, eventually. They work reasonably well behind a stock 2.5 with a little care, but hook them up to a 4.0 equivalent and it will grenade in short order.

Alrighty then, lets beat this subject to death. What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
A supercharger is one thing. That's simple. No intercooler required, no difficult piping, blow off-valves, etc. You can slap a supercharger on relatively easy and not have to do much to get some good power gains.

So if you could get a supercharger for a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

However, a turbo is making things to complex for minimal power gains IMHO. Your bringing the power levels up to that of a 4.0, but you're sacrificing simplicity for complexity. I imagine that with a turbo you'd be adding a lot of things that might break or cause issues when you're out on the trails.

I suspect that the AX5 would be fine with 6psi of forced induction. Of course some of that will depend on how you drive it. If you're doing burnouts and shifting hard, it's not going to hold up. But if you're just using the forced induction for more passing power, that will be fine I suspect, especially at such a low psi.

I've had a supercharger on my 4.0 for well over a year now. Never had a single issue at all, and it's not complex either.

Turbo does add a degree of complexity, but not really any more than a properly set up supercharger. You don't need an intercooler for a turbo, just as you don't need one for.a supercharger...however, intercoolers add efficiency. The big trade off from supercharger to intercooler is turbo lag...superchargers are instant power, turbo have to spool. The offset to that is that a supercharger, because it is driven off the crank, consumes about 65-70 percent of its power at high rpm. Compressing air is hard work. A turbo doesn't have this problem, as the harder you work the engine, the more exhaust it makes, thereby driving the turbo harder, etc.

The ax5 behind any hot rodded engine will be a shrapnel grenade, I'm afraid...

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
I guess I don't know much about the AX-5. Is it really that bad of a transmission?

I think I was thinking of the AX-15.

Reactions: StG58 and Mike_H
Ughhhhh! Sell it and buy a 4.0L powered Jeep.
If you can't cause you're emo attached at the hip to it, then do a V8 conversion if you really want power. For the effort of swapping to the 4.0L, you may as well install a V8 because it's the same amount of parts and labor. Any engine other than the 4-cylinder will require welding different motor mounts to the chassis, wiring harness changes & a replacement ECM to run. If you are a DIY type with mad skills in electrical, fab & welding then you have your answer. If this is your daily driver, it's doubtful any engine boost technology or engine swap will take just one weekend so there is downtime to consider. Either way it's a lot of time and work so you may as well break out the cherry picker and get to unbolting or place your CL add tonight! Of course if you've looked at my build, you know what route I'm taking as I have a dog in this (power) hunt we're talking about.

Buy a donor V8 Dodge or Jeep vehicle with the same engine computer bus as yours as a donor. AKA: CCD or PCI bus depending on the year of your TJ. Keep it legal by making sure the donor engine is EQUAL TO OR NEWER than your Jeep model year.

If you are set on manual transmissions only, you are going to have to search for a RAM, Durango or Dakota that has one or order parts ala carte to make it happen. Bellhousings from 3.9L mid 90's Durangos & Dakotas are a good source. They are harder to find and it will take some work but can be done with good success. The AX-15, NV-3500 or the NV3550 can all take stock V8 power and live fairly well over time. Your AX-5 or NV-1500 won't really even like it boosted on your 2.5L.

I thought about supercharging my 4-cylinder but when I really studied the numbers and cost it just wasn't worth the hassle or expense. I thought about how much it really costs in buying premium fuel at the pump every tank, to get a good tuner guy to write a custom tune for a turbo or supercharged engine One that would have the patience to help fine tune things so your Jeep would actually run good in all scenarios and realized it could be months of time and lots of money. Few people have the equipment for programming modern OBD II ECM's. The cost of this equipment and software subscriptions is almost as much as the total boosting project will run you just for the programming gear alone! Try starting costs of a J2534 pass through interface tool around $600 for the bare minimum and up. Most are over $1200 if you want any tech support whatsoever. Then you need to subscribe to the database for the manufacturer of your vehicle with a subscription so you can mod existing emissions, driveability, fuel trim and transmission shift maps to your new parameters. It gets complicated and expensive even for savvy technical cookies fast! THIS IS NOT TO SAY YOU CAN'T DO IT BUT IT AIN"T AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS. Many people do it and the interwebs are full of stories both good and bad. You would be better off selling your Jeep and buying a 4.0L powered TJ instead of spending the time, effort & money on a 2.5L TJ because as the O.P. points out, you'll be moving the fuse down the powertrain chain and the next fuse is the AX-5/NV-1500 transmission. After that the fuse becomes the Dana 35 axle so on & so it goes.....
Didn't want to rain on your parade....

RangerRick broke it smooth down :D Honestly, if anyone is that concerned about on road speed of a 4 banger Jeep, sell it for a 4.0. A turbo/supercharger isn't doing dick for off road crawling.

I agree that a 2.5 with forced induction probably isn't the best use of funds. But I think it's cool that the's done something differently, no doubt about it.

Yes, I personally would just swap a V8 in, but that's a lot of money. If he did this all for $800, I'd say that's not bad at all!

Yes @Chris on the cost if it were that manageable it would make sense. To keep costs down, I bought an entire donor vehicle for the swap. Otherwise, my V8 conversion could easily go way out of budget. As everyone knows, I'm trying to stay under budget and prove the swap to be an everymans affordable in reach and realistic doable swap. Had my Jeep cost me real coin, I would have budget boosted the suspension and cleand it up to sell for a 4.0L powered replacement.

Superchargers make power right off idle but a turbo I agree with @Rob5589 on the won't help wheeling except perhaps a mud bog or sand dunes where high RPM is key. Turbos need exhaust pressure that low RPM wheeling doesn't get.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
My long term plan is to do a V8 as well @RangerRick. Mine is a 4.0 supercharged, but I still crave that V8 power and all the low end torque that comes with it (oh... and the sound!).

Reactions: RangerRick
I wonder @Chris if a supercharger kit from a 4.0L like what you have might be readily adapted for a "reasonable" cost to the 2.4L or 2.5L 4-Cylinder engine without too much trouble? How much did your supercharger kit run in the end if you don't mind the ask? Would the ECM or modified controller be easy enough to remap for a 4-cylinder? If it was a reasonable cost, then maybe it would be possible to do what the title of this thread is about even though I think selling a 4-cylinder TJ for a 4.0L powered one makes more sense. Maybe if your 4-banger TJ is lifted and heavily modified already it might make some sense. Adapting a supercharger to an existing TJ, rather than start a build from scratch or have to swap all the parts over to a 4.0L powered TJ would also be a fair amount of work. However, I still think the fuse will be moved instead and an AX-5/NV-1500 or D35C might be next.....

If you own an '05 or '06 the smart choice is the early Hemi 5.7 or 6.1 because these share the same computer architecture (4 plugs), ECM bus, fuel and emissions control systems. This would be for the last two years of 4-cylinder powered 2.4L TJ models.

As far as what @crackedcornish links to, There are youtube videos showing that prototype Cummins conversion in a TJ that was done at Advanced Adapters facility with Cummins repower reps present for it. It shows some after swap wheeling and interviews with thoughts on both street and off-road performance. In the video they put a hole in the oil pan wheeling and had to change it in the field. Not fun but the swap mule TJ did get fabulous fuel economy that was noted on a trip from their Paso Robles AA plant to the Hollister Hills OHV park in CA. Think it was between 30 and 35MPG they were figuring out on the road. Fuel gauge stayed on "Full" for a very long time.

I have a Cummins repowered CJ that gets in the 30MPG range with a 4BT so it is VERY realistic to expect extreme fuel economy. The only downside to a repower with diesel is the initial cost. Even good used 4BT engines that are in great shape cost fairly serious coin. I probably have $6k in my 4BT with all the goodies, adapters and the 1 ton ZF 5-42 5 speed overdrive manual transmission behind it. But I gotta say that I absolutely LOVE IT! This coming from the fact that I pulled a Gen III 5.3L LM7 Vortec out of the CJ to install my Cummins. I think it's going to be the last engine my CJ will ever have. If it ever becomes illegal in CA to drive a diesel, I will move to another state before giving up my keys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589
I've hot rodded some weird stuff in my day. Some turned out well, and some were abysmal failures. The Fiat 124 Sport Coupe and the '68 Z-28 worked out well, the '71 Volvo 142E not so well. We won't even go into the Dodge Dart fiasco.

I think that buying an SE with the intentions of putting a forced air induction system on it, or doing an engine swap, is really counter productive. I do love the performance and sound of a V-8 powered TJ, and the idea of a Diesel powered TJ is pretty cool with it's torque and economy, but the little SE in basically slightly modified form fits the bill for functionality. It really does do what it's supposed to do with very little fuss.

The views expressed are interesting. We all know that building "our" TJ is fun and entertaining. If I had the time and money I'd build the snot out of a '99 TJ SE just to do it. Build her till she blows used to be my motto. I'd still have my current SE with the few planned mods as my DD and off road rig though. That doesn't include forced air induction or an engine swap. SE's are still a thinking man's TJ.

I

I think that buying an SE with the intentions of putting a forced air induction system on it, or doing an engine swap, is really counter productive. I do love the performance and sound of a V-8 powered TJ, and the idea of a Diesel powered TJ is pretty cool with it's torque and economy, but the little SE in basically slightly modified form fits the bill for functionality. It really does do what it's supposed to do with very little fuss.

Personally @StG58, I wouldn't do a V8 swap on the 4.0L powered TJ unless it was to be more of an extreme machine that required extra power. Say 1-ton axles, a literal ton of extra bumpers, tire carriers, winch, recovery gear and armor. That or it was purpose built as a sand drag or mud bogging Jeep. Otherwise, it is a whole lotta' work for maybe something not truly required.

If you want a mild 2.5" lift, 31's or 32's weekend warrior wheeler and a city runabout Jeep that won't see huge mods, I'll admit the little 4-banger will get you by just fine. Keeping it very lightweight and minimalist is key. That and making sure the gearing is generous for larger tires. Staying with lighter 32" or smaller tires and proper gearing helps so the engine stays happy. The 5 speed out on the highway will be better too. I personally have owned two Wranglers with the 3 speed automatic and they are fine until your Jeep puts on the pounds. Very reliable in stock or near stock configuration and so very fun to drive around town.

With this being addressed, I've been hearing rumors that the new Wrangler JL's are going to be offered in a turbo diesel as well as a petrol i4 turbo engine. Since as it's been mentioned, turbos need to spool to get power, and that really isn't going to do d**k when you're on the trails, why are they making these new Wranglers with boosted engines?

With this being addressed, I've been hearing rumors that the new Wrangler JL's are going to be offered in a turbo diesel as well as a petrol i4 turbo engine. Since as it's been mentioned, turbos need to spool to get power, and that really isn't going to do d**k when you're on the trails, why are they making these new Wranglers with boosted engines?

My thoughts on a turbo wrangler...Turbos do need some engine RPM to become useful. So, you need to start with an engine that has a LOT of low end torque, like the 2.5 or a diesel. A short stroke engine just isn't gonna cut it...like the 2.0 TSFI in my Audi would be a terrible wheeling engine. Since no-one is talking about swapping a jeep 4 cylinder for an engine from a Honda...well, we can put a pin in that. Long stroke engines rule the day. That gets us moving without too much drama. Gonna be just like before the jeep was modified.

Now, look at what you're trying to accomplish...more power for climbing right, or more wheelspeed for mud? Otherwise, why go through the hassle. I'll talk about climbing...mudding is a WHOLE other discussion. For climbing, you want to go slow, but keep engine RPM up for the power. Low gears are key...so gear the axles for the tires, and drop a 4:1 T-Case in. Now, we're going slow, but we have some engine RPM...so the turbo is spooled. The key is to keep the turbo small, so the boost doesn't hit like a ton of bricks. Smaller turbos spool more quickly (doesn't take as much exhaust gas to get them spinning).

I don't know much about mudding, other than wheel speed is key...That build will look different. probably a BIG turbo, that once its spooled, you keep it there. Work on the valve train to allow higher RPM...At this point....a short stroke engine might become more valuable...but it becomes dedicated at that point.

that's why I think that the cummins R2.8 would make a good trail motor (if they can keep the engine in the price ballpark of a stroker build) in my lighter YJ ...it makes a nice flat torque curve that starts right off idle, and of course has better gas mileage than a stroker

a 2.5 is exactly what it is,ive had a 95 5spd l4,a 2004 sport 4.0l 5 speed, now a 2001 tj 2.d stick,yes its slow but winds out pretty well,i dont need a sports car when im in the tj,its just our beach buggy,dont off road at all. i recommend leaving it alone or upgrading to the 4.ol wrangler

resurrecting this topic because
I am a thinking man that has a 2.5 SE that is not going to sell and buy another. Its my daily driver project that I don't mind putting money into, but not throwing at it. I already, just like everyone else, have more money into it than I could get out of it. Plus I just like it, I very satisfied with the take off from a stop light, and around town driving. The only place I have issues is up hills and passing. To me, a turbo or supercharger fits my needs. Ok one thing to add. it does suck anytime I run the air conditioning LOL.

The jeep crawls well, it does great around town, I don't drag race it but I just want a bit more on the top end. The largest size tires I want to run is 33s, I currently have 31s, I already have 4.56 gears, I put in a new remanufactured AX5, and complete clutch. Again I just want to be able to travel to trails. I think that is what has limited me the most from doing trails, I have to drive about 3 hours to get to any. It will do 65 easily but that is about where I as it starts to get above 3200 rpms but I cannot do that up hill.

Does anyone have experience with a turbo or supercharger?

Last edited: