2.5 engine swap: Engine won't run after swap

Ryank

Hi All, I posted a while back about recommendations as to why my 97 wouldn't run. A mechanic took a look and diagnosed the camshaft as bad. So, I found a 98 wrangler Tj with a 2.5 and decided that would be a perfect switch.

We now have the 98 motor moved over into the 97 frame, all hooked up, turns over, but its not firing.

Does anyone have any insight to help me out? This is not my forte, but I assumed it was essentially the same motor?

Thank You.

This one is really tough to diagnose, because you performed an entire engine swap.

The likely answer is probably the most simple one, and that is that you (or someone) forgot to plug something in. You need to re-trace your steps a number of times over to make sure everything is plugged in to start with.

Have you checked things like your Crank Position sensor? Cam Sensor? The crank position sensor can make it not start.

I've had a gut feeling its a ground somewhere, but I can't be sure. Does anyone have an electrical schematic handy?

Im sure whatever the issue may be, that its sitting right in front of us. We did try swapping crank position sensors yesterday. Still didnt work. As for cam sensor, ill have to ask my dad.

Thanks for all the input!

Hi All,

We were finally able to get the motor running. Took a lot of cranking over. Now, she won't stay running. It can idle in the driveway for about 20 minutes and then starts to cut out. Or, we can drive around the block, but then again, it shuts off and won't start.

When idling, you have to ease your way into the gas pedal. Otherwise it feels like a lack of gas or too much gas.

We've replaced several sensors, fuel pump, etc...not sure what else to do.