2.5" exhaust tail pipe clearance issues?

jcw

Supporting Member
Anyone have experience bolting up a 2.5" tailpipe from cat back? Are there any clearance issues anywhere to be aware of given the factory pipe is 2.25"
Also, if anyone has done this, did they get custom fabrication of tailpipe or can you send a link to a product they used successfully? I would like mandrel bent tubing on the pipe
Thanks

Mine has a full 2.5” custom system. Stock is 2.25” from CAT back. I also have a tuck and a Genright tank so not directly applicable. I’m chiming in because its amazing how much harder it is to get a 1/4” bigger diameter pipe to clear. I don’t really recommend it for a stock motor. People will argue this, but there is little to no HP gain to be had and you may actually lose some low end torque. It MAY help my stroker but not much. With the Magnaflow muffler it does sound nice, however.
1707590140637.jpeg

1707590161879.jpeg

Mine has a full 2.5” custom system. Stock is 2.25” from CAT back. I also have a tuck and a Genright tank so not directly applicable. I’m chiming in because its amazing how much harder it is to get a 1/4” bigger diameter pipe to clear. I don’t really recommend it for a stock motor. People will argue this, but there is little to no HP gain to be had and you may actually lose some low end torque. It MAY help my stroker but not much. With the Magnaflow muffler it does sound nice, however.
View attachment 499519

View attachment 499521

Your Jeep is too clean underneath. ;) (y)

View attachment 499519

View attachment 499521

Dude.......that setup is a work of art
Also get that damn thing dirty your making us jealous over here 🤣
Jokes aside, what a beautifuly setup jeep man 👍🏼!

Reactions: GPK03X and Woodrow
Dude.......that setup is a work of art
Also get that damn thing dirty your making us jealous over here 🤣
Jokes aside, what a beautifuly setup jeep man 👍🏼!

Thank you. It IS nicely done. Done by a local guy who is a whiz w/ SS TIG. It is also less pretty at this point and in need of another round of modification due to my current project (BL, Atlas and higher tuck). Since I recently for the 1st time did some MIG welding of stainless on my tow rig and that turned out OK, I’m going to try the next round of exhaust changes myself on the TJ. That is guaranteed to be less pretty.

Did you beat it up more on the Rubicon than you did in Moab?

Definitely. Must have heard rock on metal hundreds of times over the 2 days. In addition to inexperience, my unwillingness to do go rounds and the fact that my TJ on 33s was the smallest rig we saw all contributed. Example:
1707600584855.jpeg

It was that trip, way more than Moab, which spurred the switch to 35s, a higher tuck, Atlas and more armor. But as a result, I’ll be willing to take a swing at Pritchett Canyon this year😀

Definitely. Must have heard rock on metal hundreds of times over the 2 days. In addition to inexperience, my unwillingness to do go rounds and the fact that my TJ on 33s was the smallest rig we saw all contributed. Example:
View attachment 499553
It was that trip, way more than Moab, which spurred the switch to 35s, a higher tuck, Atlas and more armor. But as a result, I’ll be willing to take a swing at Pritchett Canyon this year😀

I figured, the Rubicon was hard on my Jeep too.
Pritchett isn’t that hard you’re gonna love it.

• Love
Reactions: Woodrow
View attachment 499519

View attachment 499521

Thanks for the insight. I didn't want to buy something and have it welded up, just to not fit properly. I'll probably end up sticking to stock diameter. The only issue I have been having is trying to find an intermediate exhaust pipe to weld to the muffler and bolt up the the back of the cats at 2.25" diameter (want to keep the factory flange).
How much did you pay for your custom job, just for reference?

View attachment 499519

View attachment 499521

Whoever did you exhaust did a very nice job. I think you may be dealing more with the bend radius vs the extra 1/4”

Thanks for the insight. I didn't want to buy something and have it welded up, just to not fit properly. I'll probably end up sticking to stock diameter. The only issue I have been having is trying to find an intermediate exhaust pipe to weld to the muffler and bolt up the the back of the cats at 2.25" diameter (want to keep the factory flange).
How much did you pay for your custom job, just for reference?

I just cut the factory flange off and added a piece of tubing between the flange and the muffler. I want to say speedway motors and summit racing are two good sources for exhaust pipe and bends.

View attachment 499519

View attachment 499521

Wow, that exhaust took some time to piece together. Very nice!

Not as nice as the above, but I've installed a couple of walker setups with no issues. However, getting things set correctly was made easier with the use of exhaust band clamps. If you're just going cat back, you'll only need one at the muffler. In my case I have a Savvy skid, so I did have to remove the rear hanger from the tailpipe and weld it back on once it was positioned correctly.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8469748&cc=1416451&pt=10727&jsn=1777

I believe the clamp used to connect the muffler and tailpipe was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KUF5Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

All the parts I used, on a 2003, were the following:

- Flowmaster Catalytic Converters - 2049170
- Walker Quiet Flow Muffler - 21456
- Walker Tail Pipe - 54227
- Walker 2 1/2" Mega Clamp (Lap Joint) -33976
- Walker 2 1/4" Mega Clamp (Lap Joint) -33975

Last edited: