2.5 experiencing low oil pressure

thedustyboot

A drug habit would be cheaper
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Tech question for the more savvy mechanics out there.

Jeep makes good oil pressure, hovered around the middle of the gauge (3bar?) but drops rapidly when I exceed 2200rpm. I know it’s supposed to drop 10psi per 1000rpm but this seems a bit strange. It has a recently replaced oil pressure sensor after the last one blew up on me. I’m thinking I should start by adding an analog gauge before tearing into it any further. Anyone have any insight they want to shed on the situation?

Ignore the check engine light it's unrelated 😅

Last edited:
Tech question for the more savvy mechanics out there.

Jeep makes good oil pressure, hovered around the middle of the gauge (3bar?) but drops rapidly when I exceed 2200rpm. I know it’s supposed to drop 10psi per 1000rpms...

Oil pressure is not supposed to drop 10 psi per thousand engine rpms, it's supposed to rise 10 psi per thousand engine rpms. Like 10 psi at 1000 rpms, 30 psi at 3000 rpms, etc. .

Oil pressure is not supposed to drop 10 psi per thousand engine rpms, it's supposed to rise 10 psi per thousand engine rpms. Like 10 psi at 1000 rpms, 30 psi at 3000 rpms, etc. .

My mistake. But as you can see from the short video clip I have attached to my original post my oil pressure drops rather suddenly when I approach 3000rpm.

There doesn't seem to be too many answers to my problem on this forum that I can find. Some guys have installed a manual gauge, others have tried a new electronic sender. Was just hoping for a little insight as to what I might have going on. The engine still runs good and does not rattle or knock...yet.

Hook up a manual gauge and check it. Mine can be erratic at times. It is the gauge/sensor/pcm. A manual gauge read hood psi and steady when I checked it.

check the sender for oil leakage

higher oil pressure caused by higher rpm may be blowing past a ruptured diaphragm in the sender.

Update:

Installed a manual gauge, replaced electronic sender with a new one and the problem has been solved. I wasn't sold on the idea that a 3 month old sender could go bad but I have been proven otherwise :ROFLMAO: