2.5 insulation kit for heat soak fix?

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm dealing with some rough idle/misfire that seems to be related to heat soak from what I'm reading. Here in TN it's between 65-80 degrees right now so pretty idyllic operating conditions. However if I run the Jeep for let's say 10-15 minutes to the grocery store, jump out and grab some items (let's say another 10-15 minutes), and then come back out to crank the Jeep, I get very low, rough idle (almost dying in the first 10-20 seconds) and misfiring if I try to launch too early.

Reading/watching further, it sounds like heat soak is the most likely culprit even though mine is a 98 SE 2.5L and that's not a defined issue. I've heard everything from "put a wooden clothespin on the fuel line" to "replace your header, there's likely a leak creating too much heat".

I'm seeing this insulation kit from Design Engineering for the 4.0 that seems like a good play but not seeing anything comparable for the 2.5. Am I out of luck and need to modify the 4.0 kit or fab something up? Or is there something comparable for the 2.5 and I need to keep looking?

I think you could very easily make your own to be honest.
Go a little nuts with header tape?

Would love to see some photos of a homebrew setup if you have one or know someone who does and it's solved this problem. Bonus points for a 2.5.

Go a little nuts with header tape?

Would love to see some photos of a homebrew setup if you have one or know someone who does and it's solved this problem. Bonus points for a 2.5.

Unfortunately I've never tackled this issue, but I would think with some header tape and some sort of insulated material you could make something pretty easily.

Hell, you could probably even buy that kit you linked to and trim it to make it work with your 2.5. I'd almost bet on it. It might not look good, but it's not really supposed to.

You can get Thermo Tec tape in a 1 1/2" 15' roll for less than $10 delivered from ebay. Buy some and wrap the stuff, it might help. I used part number 14002, if you want a Velcro sleeve it is part number 14030. Honestly I'd replace the fan clutch first, if it's weak they can cause heat soak. I think the 2.5 has a mechanical clutch.

You can get Thermo Tec tape in a 1 1/2" 15' roll for less than $10 delivered from ebay. Buy some and wrap the stuff, it might help. I used part number 14002, if you want a Velcro sleeve it is part number 14030. Honestly I'd replace the fan clutch first, if it's weak they can cause heat soak. I think the 2.5 has a mechanical clutch.
4.0 in Atlanta…High 90s this past week and I did the thermotec 14002 Thermo-Shield... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029KC2U/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Wrapped the fuel rail and injectors and it fixed it for me. When I had it last summer I got the heat soak shakes with the just the TSB injector 3 wrap.

4.0 in Louisiana gave me the same symptoms, used the kit from DEI and it helped most of the year but I still have rough idle if I let it sit for 5-10 minutes in the summer sun and then crank it up. My guess is a vented hood is the only solution in this heat.

I have used this on exhausts systems for more than twenty years.

If the pipe is rusty spray with cleaning vinegar a few times and let it set for about 15 minutes between sprays.

Wipe of the vinegar, Hit it with acetone to clean it off.

The use a brush to apply and after drying for 24 hours start engine and let it idle for about 15 minute then drive it easy at low speeds do not hit the freeway or highway just cruise around for a hour.

It will be cured and ready to go.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tech...atin-Ceramic-Header-Coating-12-oz-,35785.html

I'm dealing with some rough idle/misfire that seems to be related to heat soak from what I'm reading. Here in TN it's between 65-80 degrees right now so pretty idyllic operating conditions. However if I run the Jeep for let's say 10-15 minutes to the grocery store, jump out and grab some items (let's say another 10-15 minutes), and then come back out to crank the Jeep, I get very low, rough idle (almost dying in the first 10-20 seconds) and misfiring if I try to launch too early.

Reading/watching further, it sounds like heat soak is the most likely culprit even though mine is a 98 SE 2.5L and that's not a defined issue. I've heard everything from "put a wooden clothespin on the fuel line" to "replace your header, there's likely a leak creating too much heat".

I'm seeing this insulation kit from Design Engineering for the 4.0 that seems like a good play but not seeing anything comparable for the 2.5. Am I out of luck and need to modify the 4.0 kit or fab something up? Or is there something comparable for the 2.5 and I need to keep looking?

I bought this kit and only had to make few cuts and it worked perfectly for a 2.5

I added one of these to my 1997 2.5L

I made a few cuts with tin snips and it fits great.

Waiting for warmer weather to test if it works. But the quality was good. If heat was my issue this should work

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS2L4L44/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I bought this kit and only had to make few cuts and it worked perfectly for a 2.5

I added one of these to my 1997 2.5L

I made a few cuts with tin snips and it fits great.

Waiting for warmer weather to test if it works. But the quality was good. If heat was my issue this should work

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS2L4L44/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Keep us posted, I'm curious.

Also, with your 97 SE you might like some of the threads in my signature.