2.5 or 3 inch springs for LJ?

drs7

Supporting Member
I have a stock LJ that I want to do a mild lift on to put 33x12.5 tires 15x10 Mickey Thompson classic II wheels. I will mainly be using this Jeep to ride dirt roads, the beach, and around town so I need it to ride good. I’m looking to get JKS front and rear track bars, JKS sway bar disconnects, rear sway bar links, and Rancho 5000x shocks. I had a LJ that I sold a couple years ago that was lifted 4.5” with 35” tires and I don’t want or need one that tall. What would be the best springs to go with out of the 2.5” OME and the 3” Currie? Or if you have any other suggestions on my setup I would appreciate it.

1D33FC4F-063D-4270-A599-E97D92589CE3.jpeg

Springs just hold up the Jeep. Either way you want 33’s, so you aim for 3-4” total lift. There aren’t many shocks that work well with a 2.5-3” spring lift, so ride quality will already be compromised. At 4” there are some good travel bias options.

I used OME springs on my similarly equipped LJ. I bought the 2932 Light Load springs for the front, and the 2942 Heavy Constant Load springs for the rear. The rear got a 2" lift, but the front only got a 1" lift, and I had to add a 1" spacer to bring it up. I wish I had bought the 2933 Heavy Load springs for the front.

I added a 1.25" body lift to help clear the 33" tires, and it also allowed me to do a mild tummy tuck and lift the gas tank 1" with a Savvy gas tank skid.

There really isn’t a 2.5” OME anyway. It’s 2” + 10mm spacer, which is 2.39”. But what you actually get will depend on the sprung weight of your Jeep.

JKS 2" Lift kit with a 1.25" body lift, 2" motor mount lift, tummy tuck, and the gas tank lift kit. Very nice ride. Very capable for what you want to do with the LJ. I have that combo on my LJ and am very please with the ride.

I went with OME Springs and a 1.25” body lift and 33s. Worked well for entry level off-road activities.

I went with the OME shocks that came with the kit, doing it over, I’d probably go with a more forgiving shock.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I have a stock LJ that I want to do a mild lift on to put 33x12.5 tires 15x10 Mickey Thompson classic II wheels. I will mainly be using this Jeep to ride dirt roads, the beach, and around town so I need it to ride good. I’m looking to get JKS front and rear track bars, JKS sway bar disconnects, rear sway bar links, and Rancho 5000x shocks. I had a LJ that I sold a couple years ago that was lifted 4.5” with 35” tires and I don’t want or need one that tall. What would be the best springs to go with out of the 2.5” OME and the 3” Currie? Or if you have any other suggestions on my setup I would appreciate it.

View attachment 406282

You won't get full lift height out of either of those springs.

When we got our 05 LJ it was all stock. We selected to have a JKS 3" JSPEC suspension systems installed. We are also running BFG 33X12.5X15 tires on BAJA 15X10 reams.

IMG_1162.JPG

Springs just hold up the Jeep. Either way you want 33’s, so you aim for 3-4” total lift. There aren’t many shocks that work well with a 2.5-3” spring lift, so ride quality will already be compromised. At 4” there are some good travel bias options.

Sorry I’ve been camping without phone service this weekend. I wasn’t planning on changing out my control arms. If I do go with 4” would I need to change them out and are there any other parts would I need to change?

If you're not doing a body lift and a tummy tuck, skip the 3" springs and just go straight to Currie 4" springs. This gives you much better shock travel options and sets you up for the future, should you decide to go 35" tires. Plus, it will save you money and time. Full disclosure, since I didn't see it mentioned, you'll also need adjustable control arms, the uppers for sure.

I have a stock LJ that I want to do a mild lift on to put 33x12.5 tires 15x10 Mickey Thompson classic II wheels. I will mainly be using this Jeep to ride dirt roads, the beach, and around town so I need it to ride good.
For your needs, check out the Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho shocks for under $700. I've used them on several Jeeps. You can add additional parts as needed/wanted.
Stock and with 33s.
stock-lj-jpg.jpg

4-25-zone-lift-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Your goal is similar to what I am doing on my LJR - currently stock suspension and it is very tired. I had the same question about OME, my local shop is steering me towards BDS w/Fox Shocks. They have never failed me with recommendations. I drove a OME lifted LJR prior to buying mind and thought it rode pretty harsh...my CJ-7 was a softer ride.

I’m leaning towards doing the 3” JKS lift. Did you have to drop the transfer case? Did it net you 3” in the front and rear?
You probably will not have to drop the tcase for a 3" suspension lift. Your Unlimited's rear driveshaft is significantly longer than the SWB TJ's is and is thus not affected by suspension lift height as much. That just means its angle won't be as steep as the TJ's rear driveshaft angle would be with a 3" suspension lift.

Reactions: Shank
Nice jeep. Same color as mine but I have a hard top. After way overthinking it, when I was in your position, I ended up going with a 3" Currie spring lift and a 1.25" body lift. The spring lift ended up giving me about 2.5 to 2.75" of actual lift (I also have an LJ, so a little heavier than a standard TJ), so I ultimately ended up adding small spacers (0.5"?) as well to add a little more fender clearance that cycling the axles revealed I needed. If you don't ever want to raise the body, my advice is to go with the 4" Currie spring lift to get more room under the fenders, if you want the full advantage of the tire size and suspension flex. You could also go with a 3" lift, not worry about gaining full advantage of the tires and suspension flex, set your bump stops correctly and be okay. I also have 33" tires and wanted to keep the rig relatively low so I could easier get a kayak off of the roof and the way I use the jeep I just don't need 35" tires. I ended up doing a tummy tuck, slip yoke eliminator, and on and on and on as these things tend to go. If you do go with a 4" spring lift, you might end up needing a SYE. Lifting jeeps is a slippery slope and I have been pulled in hard!