2.5 power steering pump to 4.0 pump: Has anybody done this?

Halfinchmoa

There were a couple posts from people that did it from 2016. the only thing i’m having trouble with is figuring out how to do the high pressure line. the posts said they just bent the tubing on the existing line. I cant figure out how to make that happen.

There were a couple posts from people that did it from 2016. the only thing i’m having trouble with is figuring out how to do the high pressure line. the posts said they just bent the tubing on the existing line. I cant figure out how to make that happen.
I would imagine that you could just swap in a HP assembly from a 4.0, only difference would be the pump which is 6" or so further back then the 4.0. Otherwise the steering setup is the same.

Just remembered the 2.5 has the PS pressure switch in the line and the 4.0 does not.

Last edited:
4.0 pump fits just fine. You have to bend the bracket for the air canister just a bit, then move it about an inch. The sensor wire needs to be lengthened, but that was an easy task also. Low pressure line is also easy.

In this picture you can see the 4.0 pump and reservoir fit just fine. The second photo you can see the factory high pressure line and how far out of line it is. I think I’m going to have to make a custom line

98658725-2561-4E4A-8C5D-9C5F61041103.jpeg

1C68E068-172D-44EC-A59E-055608CA122A.jpeg

In this picture you can see the 4.0 pump and reservoir fit just fine. The second photo you can see the factory high pressure line and how far out of line it is. I think I’m going to have to make a custom line

View attachment 181063

View attachment 181064
If you do decide to make a custom line, get in touch. I have that piece you need for the idle sensor. It works with the hard line and has a NPT female thread on the Tee side. I bought them specifically to make a 4.0 pump work on the 4 cylinder.

If you do decide to make a custom line, get in touch. I have that piece you need for the idle sensor. It works with the hard line and has a NPT female thread on the Tee side. I bought them specifically to make a 4.0 pump work on the 4 cylinder.
Thank you i really appreciate that

I thought it was a pressure sensor or a pressure switch that is in the hard line. Its an idle sensor? i’m going to have a custom line made for it, if you could give me a part # and place that sells them? Or possibly sell me one of yours? Thank you

I thought it was a pressure sensor or a pressure switch that is in the hard line. Its an idle sensor? i’m going to have a custom line made for it, if you could give me a part # and place that sells them? Or possibly sell me one of yours? Thank you
It is a pressure sensor that send a signal to raise the idle when a pressure threshold is reached. Send me an address and I'll send you one.

221 W Chennault Ave
Clovis, CA 93611
I cant thank you enough. Very nice group of people here.

Packed and shipped out this morning. You will know it is from me by the name it is addressed to. Since you failed to give me one, you shall forever be known as HEWHOSHALLNOTBENAMED.
Best I could do on short notice.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr and DEValken
Packed and shipped out this morning. You will know it is from me by the name it is addressed to. Since you failed to give me one, you shall forever be known as HEWHOSHALLNOTBENAMED.
Omg im sorry lmao i typed it in this morning in a hurry before leaving for work. Its Mike btw still lmao about the nickname

Last edited:
Omg im sorry lmao i typed it in this morning in a hurry before leaving for work. Its Mike Bronson btw still lmao about the nickname
It is more common to us the private conversation function for these exchanges. You can delete your address and name before folks use it to send you nice things.

Thank you again for the fitting. I’m going to the
It is more common to us the private conversation function for these exchanges. You can delete your address and name before folks use it to send you nice things.
Thanks again for the fitting. I’m going a custom line shop tomorrow after work. hoseandfittingsetc.com

Where can I find this fitting?

What are the advantages of swapping pumps here? Is it just the reservoir difference or does the 4.0 pump have more output also?

What are the advantages of swapping pumps here? Is it just the reservoir difference or does the 4.0 pump have more output also?
The remote reservoir has been hard to locate and harder to locate cost effectively at various points in time. We did it to get away from the reservoir.