2.5 Stroker

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
505 has a 2.5 Stroker engine. They claim 185HP. What issues does a Stroker cause? Do they play nice with the TJ sensors? Will they run with the stock fuel system?

505 has a 2.5 Stroker engine. They claim 185HP. What issues does a Stroker cause? Do they play nice with the TJ sensors? Will they run with the stock fuel system?
I realize their site is going through revisions, but that has to be the most bare bones product description I've ever seen.
I'm curious about it myself for potential future needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gollywomper
505 has an absolutely terrible rep, I'll throw that out there.

That being said, what does it take the 2.5 up too power wise? My initial thought is the power they are advertising is coming from porting of the head and would be higher in the rpm range. If I were determined to keep a 4 banger in a Jeep I had, I would gear it decently steep for the trail and turbo it to push bigger tires down the freeway. I just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze for a 2.5L. Not apples to apples, but I have experienced a 2.6L stroked and poked out to a 2.8L. The difference was underwhelming and it had about the same top end power. The turbo just started singing a bit earlier was the main noticable difference.

As for your specific questions, I doubt their stroker would be enough to overwhelm the stock drivetrain and you would build it using your current or a similar engine but swap out the guts so sensors and injectors would all work the same (but you might need bigger injectors depending on what you do for tuning).

Reactions: 1515art
I have all the gearing I need for the trail. I would like a bit of on road help. I have zero clue on a turbo setup. Looking to move out of CA soon so smog won’t be an issue. May have to find someone who can do a turbo setup.

Then for the cost of a turbo, I could do a engine swap. Lol. That’s why the Stroker is interesting. It’s bolt in.

Reactions: JMT
Are you talking about buying an assembled engine to bolt in or are you talking about buying the parts and having the machine work done? Sounds like the former and in that case I'd say I'd be real surprised if you could get a turn key motor they cheap.

The easiest route to turbo it is going to be to find a shop that can custom fab you up something decent which actually isn't that hard for most decent tuner shops. The ability to tune it is the harder issue IMHO. All of this would either need to be fleshed out by you or pay somebody a chunk to figure it out for you.

I know neither of these options seems easy or cheap. They aren't. This is the unfortunate reason most people recommend being at peace with the (lack of) power from a 4 banger, selling it for a 4.0, or swapping in a v8. I'd go with the last option if I were you.

The v8 option is there for sure. 505 has a complete Stroker engine listed on their site for $3k. It lists 185hp, which would be a huge gain over the 100hp now. I have an email into them now with some questions.

505 has a shit reputation for what it’s worth. I also wouldn’t put a dime into doing anything to a 2.5.
I understand the the 505 reputation part. If it’s $2-2.5k for a rebuilt 2.5 and for $500 more you can buy this, then why not?
If we can bolt in 4.0 power into a 2.5, why not?
We can leave 505 out of this conversation to simplify the discussion as there are other options out there.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Reactions: SvtLdr
Reactions: SvtLdr

Stroking an engine is just putting a crankshaft that has a longer travel/throw in the engine.

To summarize, just remember that a stroker motor is a standard engine, but with an increased stroke in the cylinder. This increases total displacement resulting in more torque and more horsepower.

Stroking an engine isn't always as simple as just bolting in a new crankshaft. Depending on the amount of stroke and engine design some engines need to be machined to accept the longer stroke.

Reactions: Gollywomper
AA sells adapters. Lol
Just looking at options. I really am liking the GM LV3 4.3. The v6 may give me plenty of room to move things forward enough to get this done with a doubler.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/ax5/
The 4.3 is a great engine and I know many guys from Jeeps to Toyota to Suzuki that has one in their rigs.

Do you have a heavier flywheel? Tri-County Gears use to sell an inertia ring that bolted to the 2.5 flywheel but they aren't in business anymore. So now the only option that I know of is to buy a heavier flywheel.

Last edited:
I think a Magnum swap is a no brainier of I'm swapping any motor in aTJ.

It's probably the easiest engine swap if you're trying to go to something larger but there are good points to adding a V-6 over a V-8. If that is the route he decides then yes the 4.3 V-6 is a good option. Just will take more work than a magnum.

When I still had my 2.5 I looked at the stroker kits and turbo kits. I almost bought an Avenger supercharger while I was deployed to Iraq. One popped up on Ebay but was missing some parts so I was trying to get a hold of Avenger first to make sure I could get the missing parts and it sold.
I was looking for a Dakota bellhousing to swap in a AX-15 which was how I'd ended up calling Backwoods Off-Road who did my V-8 swap. And after talking to him he convinced me to forget the turbo or supercharger idea and just go V-8. Can't say it was the best choice but I do enjoy the V-8.

I understand the the 505 reputation part. If it’s $2-2.5k for a rebuilt 2.5 and for $500 more you can buy this, then why not?
If we can bolt in 4.0 power into a 2.5, why not?
We can leave 505 out of this conversation to simplify the discussion as there are other options out there.
I would not assume it is making 4.0 power based solely on their 185 number. I would want to see the torque and power curves. My guess is that the 4.0 still makes way more torque down low.

But that’s just my guess - don’t know for sure. Does 505 publish the dyno results for their stroker?

Honestly I probably won’t do either. I may end up with a trailered rig before too long. Lol

I would not assume it is making 4.0 power based solely on their 185 number. I would want to see the torque and power curves. My guess is that the 4.0 still makes way more torque down low.

But that’s just my guess - don’t know for sure. Does 505 publish the dyno results for their stroker?
Another Stroker was rated at 145hp. Which is hardly worth the effort.

Reactions: Woodrow