2.5 to 4.0 Swap

That’s awesome! They said it couldn’t be done. With the strict codes they have in cali does he get it to pass their inspections?

That’s awesome! They said it couldn’t be done. With the strict codes they have in cali does he get it to pass their inspections?
I suspect as long as the engine is slightly newer than the Jeep, has all the emissions connected and the engine is running well; it should pass.
The key to that swap is having a donor vehicle....

Reactions: TJ Jim
What about the 2.5 Stroker from 505performance. They claim 185hp. Even if you got around the 160 mark it would be a huge improvement.

I've NEVER said it couldn't be done but I have said that it wasn't worth the amount of energy to do the swap. Or as the saying goes...
I could have had a V-8......

Yes it's pretty much plug and play once you've put all the pieces together. New motor mounts, new wiring harness, new transmission. All the same things you need to swap in a magnum V-8. If you have a 2002 or older TJ IMO it's just easier to swap in a V-8.

Reactions: Gollywomper
While I ponder my future power plans I will keep an eye out for a rolled/wrecked 4.0 TJ. Or a smoking deal on a LV3 gm motor.

2.5 I-4

1643922940477.png

4.0 I-6

1643922978561.png

5.2 V-8

5.2 torque curve.jpg

5.9 V-8

5.9 torque curve.jpg

You Choose

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Those numbers are hardly worth the swap if accurate. The LV3 gm 4.3 has better numbers and might save some room?

Those charts bug me with different scales for hp and tq. Whats with the 360 torque curve?? Why is it so arched??
So in my mind I begin to question charts that don't show the torque and horsepower lines cross at 5252 rpm.
Huh must be that " new math " we hear so much about! :sneaky:

If anyone is going V8....make it an aluminum LS series engine. 50-100lbs weight savings over the Jeep 4.0l and tons of aftermarket support.

• Haha
Reactions: TRE3TOP and Wildman
Those numbers are hardly worth the swap if accurate. The LV3 gm 4.3 has better numbers and might save some room?
I can't see the LV3 as being an easy swap/inexpensive swap.
No P/S bracket provision. They all run electric racks. The engine doesn't pull enough vacuum. You would need to run a separate vacuum pump for the brakes or figure a way to run a hydro boost.
Fly by wire throttle.
Trying to get the electronics to play nicely.
Running a return line for the fuel system.

In the long run, it's probably a lot less $$$ to do an LS or 4.0 swap.

Last edited:
So in my mind I begin to question charts that don't show the torque and horsepower lines cross at 5252 rpm.
Huh must be that " new math " we hear so much about! :sneaky:
They would if the scales on both sides were the same. Manufactures do that "modified scaling" to push both traces further to the top.

I can't see the LV3 as being an easy swap/inexpensive swap.
No P/S bracket provision. They all run electric racks. The engine doesn't pull enough vacuum. You would need to run a separate vacuum pump for the brakes or figure a way to run a hydro boost.
Fly by wire throttle.
Trying to get the electronics to play nicely.
Running a return line for the fuel system.

In the long run, it's probably less $$$ to so an LS or 4.0 swap.
The Ls does have a lot more support. With more potential should someone decide they need more HP.

All I can tell anyone thinking about doing a V-8 swap is to open up their check books. The GOOD thing about using the Mopar engines over a Chevy or Ford engine is that you'll save a ton of headache trying to get things to play together. You aren't trying to get accessories to clear the frame or to fit. Next is the dash. The Mopar PCM mounts where the stock Jeep PCM did and it can communicate with the stock Jeep dash. If you swap in a Chevy or Ford engine from what I understand you have two choices.
1) Replace the stock dash with a custom dash. Meaning aftermarket gauges and mounting
2) Run two PCM's One PCM is for the engine you swapped in and then the other PCM is the stock Jeep PCM. So you have to run double sensors for some things.

And those charts don't tell the whole story. Go drive a Dodge Ram pickup or a Durango or a Jeep Grand Cherokee and see the pep they have. And while I'll agree that there is more support for the Chevy engine but that doesn't mean you can't get hop up parts for Mopar stuff.

The 5.2 (318) was the light duty V-8 while the 5.9 (360) was the work horse engine and if you'd ever driven a pickup with these 2 engines you'd know these numbers were off.

All I can tell anyone thinking about doing a V-8 swap is to open up their check books. The GOOD thing about using the Mopar engines over a Chevy or Ford engine is that you'll save a ton of headache trying to get things to play together. You aren't trying to get accessories to clear the frame or to fit. Next is the dash. The Mopar PCM mounts where the stock Jeep PCM did and it can communicate with the stock Jeep dash. If you swap in a Chevy or Ford engine from what I understand you have two choices.
1) Replace the stock dash with a custom dash. Meaning aftermarket gauges and mounting
2) Run two PCM's One PCM is for the engine you swapped in and then the other PCM is the stock Jeep PCM. So you have to run double sensors for some things.

And those charts don't tell the whole story. Go drive a Dodge Ram pickup or a Durango or a Jeep Grand Cherokee and see the pep they have. And while I'll agree that there is more support for the Chevy engine but that doesn't mean you can't get hop up parts for Mopar stuff.

The 5.2 (318) was the light duty V-8 while the 5.9 (360) was the work horse engine and if you'd ever driven a pickup with these 2 engines you'd know these numbers were off.
I was reading a bit on the 5.2 swap. Is there anyone selling a plug and play harness? Or close to PNP?

I was reading a bit on the 5.2 swap. Is there anyone selling a plug and play harness? Or close to PNP?

You can send the Jeep & Dodge harnesses to Hotwire and they'll make you a PNP harness. But it ain't cheap. Last time I looked I think it's about $1500. Honestly it's only about 10-12 connections so it really isn't that hard to do yourself. I'm working on a writeup on how to do it and which wires go where.

Part of this depends on if you are going to run a manual or automatic transmission.

Reactions: Gollywomper