2" coil spacers on 29" tires

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Will it look stupid? Thinking of going this cheap route to see If I eventually want a spring lift and 31,s My new tires are measuring 29" or 14 1/2" from centre to top. so bigger than the stock 28,s. the factory shocks are giving a really nice sedan type road ride at the moment as well as comfortable enough on corrugations and light off road tracks.
The limit of my off road use will be soft sand beach and fire tracks.
I dont want to just go spring lift and new shocks only to realize I preferred the stock gas charged shock ride.

Cheers

You can fit 31’s in and only do a body lift. If you do a 1 1/4 body lift and run it like that for now it would be cheaper than the spring spacers. If you want to go bigger later then swap the springs and be set for 33 inch tires.

You can fit 31’s in and only do a body lift. If you do a 1 1/4 body lift and run it like that for now it would be cheaper than the spring spacers. If you want to go bigger later then swap the springs and be set for 33 inch tires.
I have a 6 speed manual so body lift requires a bit more work I believe than a spacer lift?

Will it look stupid? Thinking of going this cheap route to see If I eventually want a spring lift and 31,s My new tires are measuring 29" or 14 1/2" from centre to top. so bigger than the stock 28,s. the factory shocks are giving a really nice sedan type road ride at the moment as well as comfortable enough on corrugations and light off road tracks.
I dont want to just go spring lift and new shocks only to realize I preferred the stock gas charged shock ride.

Cheers
As for the look, put a jack under the frame and lift it the purposed amount. Post pictures!
Then you could move forward with the spacers, body lift, or suspension lift.

I have a 6 speed manual so body lift requires a bit more work I believe than a spacer lift?
Nope. BL for 6 speed is the same as a 5 speed. It takes 1-1.5 hours to install. Spacers require taking out springs and disconnecting shocks other stuff. You might get vibes with the spacers too.
p.s. BL only when I had stock 31" tires. More like 30" actually.
RUBI BL (2) (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
The 2" spring spacers will change the spring response; the change wont ride much different on the beach, but their change in the ride will be felt on the trail and highway. While it wont be dramatic; the change will be felt.
Not sure which shock absorbers you have presently; hope they are not too close in either end of the shock piston stroke.

Last edited:

At most you might need some slight modifications to the center console so it doesn't block you out of reverse. Still easier than coil spacers.

Cheers
You don’t need to change anything with 29’s.

If you want to keep the same shocks and springs, add a 1” body lift. You’ll have to trim and raise the fan shroud, extend the gas fill tube, and adjust or replace the transfer case linkage.

If you do a spacer lift with new shocks, get the Rancho 5000x 0-2”, you won’t be displeased.

It might look a little off with 29’s till you get 31’s.

You don’t need to change anything with 29’s.

If you want to keep the same shocks and springs, add a 1” body lift. You’ll have to trim and raise the fan shroud, extend the gas fill tube, and adjust or replace the transfer case linkage.

If you do a spacer lift with new shocks, get the Rancho 5000x 0-2”, you won’t be displeased.

It might look a little off with 29’s till you get 31’s.
I dont have a garage so It will be done at a suspension/shock shop, I dont want to start messing with it only to regret decisions. and $spend mistakes
I doubt I will ever go over 31,s so is 2" spacer too much?

I dont have a garage so It will be done at a suspension/shock shop, I dont want to start messing with it only to regret decisions. and $spend mistakes
I doubt I will ever go over 31,s so is 2" spacer too much?
31’s with a 2” spacer is not too much at all. It’s just right IMHO. Most spacers that are advertised as 2” are actually 1.75”, which is great for 31’s too. 👍🏼

Reactions: Fishtaco
You might want to see how much rake you have. I have 31s on one of mine with just a 1.5 in levelling spacer in the front. Looks right to me. It depends on how much sag you have.

I did a engine mount lift so I didn’t have issues with the fan shroud. It isn’t that difficult of a modification.
And my factory fill tube was just long enough. It’s been on for 3 years now, not a issue for me but definitely was cutting it close .
Of course, if you add a 1" MML when yolu do a 1" BL, then there is no need to move or modify the fan shroud. Also, there is no need to get an extended gas tank filler tube, just to extend it by loosening the factor fill tube at the tank and pulling it a bit so it reaches. Mine factory fill tube works fine with 1.25" BL.

The 2" spring spacers will change the spring response; the change wont ride much different on the beach, but their change in the ride will be felt on the trail and highway. While it wont be dramatic; the change will be felt.
Not sure which shock absorbers you have presently; hope they are not too close in either end of the shock piston stroke.
Its still got the factory gas Charged shocks.

You might want to see how much rake you have. I have 31s on one of mine with just a 1.5 in levelling spacer in the front. Looks right to me. It depends on how much sag you have.
Not sure about the rake? the front looks higher than the rear but space between top of tire and inside arch is about the same.