2" coil spacers on 29" tires

So what is the minimum body lift I could get away with to put 31,s on and DD?
Its like this: I like the look of bigger tires but I don't need or really want my TJ any higher than it is (each to their own)
Wider Tires are more important to me at this stage, I am currently sitting on 29" high by 9.3" wide on factory alloy ecco,s and would like to go at least 10" wide better 10.5" without them sticking out of my 4 1/4 flares plus also not rub when I full lock. What spacing wheels do I need to buy given " wheel spacers" are not tolerated by tire fitters and brake repairer "chains" where I live :(
31,s will give me an extra 1" diff clearance on what I have, a lift will give me zilch, I will only lift to get higher tires to work.

Cheers
Are you able to get a set of H&R 52107 springs there? If so, that coupled with a 1" body lift would pair nicely with a 31" tire. If you can't go that route, a 1" aluminum spacer, front and rear, on top of the stock springs would also work with a 1" body lift. Then, new shocks would help smooth out the ride.

didn't Rubicons come out of the factory with 31s & the same suspension as all other models? If that's the case I'd slap on the 31s & maybe a washer to tweak the steering & call it good, but I like the low riders

low rider.jpg

Reactions: Weasellee
Will it look stupid? Thinking of going this cheap route to see If I eventually want a spring lift and 31,s My new tires are measuring 29" or 14 1/2" from centre to top. so bigger than the stock 28,s. the factory shocks are giving a really nice sedan type road ride at the moment as well as comfortable enough on corrugations and light off road tracks.
The limit of my off road use will be soft sand beach and fire tracks.
I dont want to just go spring lift and new shocks only to realize I preferred the stock gas charged shock ride.

Cheers
I bought mine with a 2 1/2" budget spring lift and running 31s. The ride is a little stiff on the rode, but I never knew what it felt like without.

IMG_8034.jpg

Reactions: Fishtaco
So what is the minimum body lift I could get away with to put 31,s on and DD?
Its like this: I like the look of bigger tires but I don't need or really want my TJ any higher than it is (each to their own)
Wider Tires are more important to me at this stage, I am currently sitting on 29" high by 9.3" wide on factory alloy ecco,s and would like to go at least 10" wide better 10.5" without them sticking out of my 4 1/4 flares plus also not rub when I full lock. What spacing wheels do I need to buy given " wheel spacers" are not tolerated by tire fitters and brake repairer "chains" where I live :(
31,s will give me an extra 1" diff clearance on what I have, a lift will give me zilch, I will only lift to get higher tires to work.

Cheers
You’re overthinking it. No one can answer definitively. Just get a 1.25” BL, then put 31x10.5’s on your Ecco’s, and see where you are. If they rub, get a wheel with more backspacing or our some washers on the steering stop. If you need more, get 1” springs.

Last edited:
You’re overthinking it. No one can answer definitively. Just get a 1.25” BL, then put 31x10.5’s on your Ecco’s, and see where you are. If they rub, get a wheel with more backspacing or our some washers on the steering stop. If you need more, get 1” springs.
If 10.5 fits on a factory wheel then thats good but it was mentioned that factory wheels only fit 9.5 wide.

So where/ how do you put washers on the steering stops to stop rubbing if I go 10.5 wide, anyone got a pic or a vid?

i'm running 32's on a 2 in. spring spacer lift. my plan is to go back to factory size tires when the 32 bfg m/t's wear out. the previous owner put the 32's (which i hate) on it with no lift. they rubbed on the slightest bump but were brand new so i added the lift. probably remove it when i get new shoes. get the 31's and if they rub you can add lift, dont think you'll need it unless off roading alot

Great info :) I am a TJ/Jeep "Dunderhead" at this stage, given most if not all aussies are Toyota fanboys and jeep haters much! lol
"So he of many TJ lift wheel size wisdom" What is the max width boots I can put on my factory eccos with washers :)
PS back on the PBR for Friday lol
31x10.50".🍻🍕

The reason I ask is I am now looking into new wheels but most are steel not alloy and I have to weigh up my options with the 3.07 gearing I have. (at least I have a Dana 44 standard lol)
Perhaps I am over thinking this? I can get a 2' spring and shocky lift for around $600 US + labour from a company within walking distance from me who has been supplying suspension upgrades since the 1970.s

Are you able to get a set of H&R 52107 springs there? If so, that coupled with a 1" body lift would pair nicely with a 31" tire. If you can't go that route, a 1" aluminum spacer, front and rear, on top of the stock springs would also work with a 1" body lift. Then, new shocks would help smooth out the ride.
I did the H&R 52107 springs and a puck leveling kit for my 31 x10.5 tyres.
IMG_1780.JPG

Bilstein 5100s front shocks adjusted up 2" and a 2" spacer in the rear, no springs needed and simple drop back to stock
Any thought?