2-door XJ in wrecking yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I was doing a scrap metal run, when I came across this XJ 2-door in the yard. It's an '86, with the damn near worthless GM 2.8 V-6 in it. Loaded vehicle. Power windows, factory sunroof, tilt wheel. The black interior was in remarkably good condition, save for the headliner. The missing OEM aluminum rim from the driver's front was in the back cargo area. Didn't get a price for it, as I was in a hurry. Also, check out the '64/'65 Ranchero. Talk about a project!
XJ.jpg
XJ 2.jpg
Ranchero 4X4.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy walking the junkyard. Those are good finds. That looks like a really nice one, the ones in Los Angeles don't look like that. The grass probably doesn't grow within a few miles and there definitely aren't trees. Falcon owner, I enjoy the 4x4 conversions as crazy as they are.

Your wrecking yard looks way better than ours in Denver... I’d probably buy it if it can run worth a damn as a project with my son

I found both intriguing, but I have far too many projects, as it is. Was floored by how clean the interior was on the XJ, though...:unsure:

I’m on the hunt for a 4door, otherwise I’d try to convince you to dig more. I need something other than the LJ for daily use with 2 kids under 5.

I’m on the hunt for a 4door, otherwise I’d try to convince you to dig more. I need something other than the LJ for daily use with 2 kids under 5.
I totally get it. "More doors" are your friend, at that point. ;)

On a related subject (well...not really...), I saw a window sticker on the back of some generic crossover yesterday that had one of these (not actual photo):
huge-financial-burden-hugelol-com.jpg

I did notice that bumper.. you could smash threw a wall and not hurt it🤣

Reactions: Squatch
I agree. That rig is an '91 with 132,000 miles on it. Wonder what a 2-door would look like decked out in all that paneling?

that’s great mileage, which makes the price more understandable. I’m not far off of leaving notes on XJs I see around my area with contact info for anyone looking to sell.

Though the more I read about garbage shops, I am thinking about following my dream (my retirement plan, though I’m early 30s) to make/buy/build a shop that is honest and does it right for “legacy” Jeeps.

that’s great mileage, which makes the price more understandable. I’m not far off of leaving notes on XJs I see around my area with contact info for anyone looking to sell.

Though the more I read about garbage shops, I am thinking about following my dream (my retirement plan, though I’m early 30s) to make/buy/build a shop that is honest and does it right for “legacy” Jeeps.
Sign me up.
Will work for Jeep parts and access to a lift.

Reactions: rasband
Think i'm kidding. do it. i'll sleep in a box out back. i'll load my shit up in my truck/trailer TOMORROW.

actually. id have to rent a big truck. to many tools to bring :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rasband and Squatch
I'm seeing less and less XJ's in wrecking yards around here and it's not all that surprising. I'm on an e-mail notice list for one that I frequent and I can't remember the last time they got one in. They also have a 1990 cut off date and early XJ's are on their list. If they get a vehicle that is older than that it goes straight to the scrapper vs. the picker's yard. I have much better luck with Kijiji ads for guys that are parting old ones out.

I have an 2 dr. XJ and an MJ and am looking for a 4 dr. XJ. I bought a new Laredo in 1990 and would love to get another one to make it into a "sort of" dedicated overlanding vehicle. I may modify my '89 2 dr. XJ 2 but it's very original and 2 drs. aren't the best vehicle for that purpose. To be honest, I found getting in and out of the back doors of my old 4 dr. to be a bit uncomfortable. They're tight. They're much better though for accessing camping gear through the sides as compared to 2 drs.

17-12-23 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.