2 questions

PriddyBoy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2 questions. #1 Are throttle body spacers worth it? #2 I’m getting around 150 miles per tank, I’m rolling on 35’s With 5 speed and I6. I understand that it’s a jeep on big tires just curious if that sounds right? I’m new to keeps and just got this 2004 Rubicon. I’ve purchased everything to to do a complete tune plugs, boots, and coil pack, new serpentine belt. Also going to service the diffs. The jeep has 150k miles on it, not sure when what was done. Anything I should be aware of? Someone told me to do a dry steer test, can you explain this to me.

I’m getting the tires balanced today from the advice from my previous post, thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
#1 Don't waste the money on the throttle body spacer. #2 150 miles is not good. Do you know what size gears you are running?

Reactions: StG58
Throttle body spacers do not work, they are a scam. You can read more about it here if you feel so inclined: Do throttle body spacers work on Jeep Wrangler TJs?

If you have a Rubicon, you have 4.10 gears from the factory. That isn't nearly enough for 35" tires.

150 miles a tank isn't good, but have you considered that with 35" tires, your speedometer is way off. Because of that, you're likely getting more miles to the tank thank you think you are, but it's not showing correctly since your speedometer (and therefore odometer) are not reporting correctly.

8934e451bc8cffe216223f20e87886b7.jpg

As for the dry steering test, that is when you get underneath your Jeep and have someone sit in the driver seat. Have them start the vehicle and while it's in park, aggressively turn the steering wheel back-and-forth over-and-over, while you're underneath the Jeep inspecting the steering components. Watch the steering move back-and-forth and look for any visible signs of wear, any loose bolts, or any audible noises / clunks.

To get the best RPM range and performance you will want to re-gear. If your not running the correct rpm's you will never get the most out of your mpg's.

Reactions: StG58
Regear, change the speedometer gear to the correct ratio and recalculate. With 6" of lift and 35" tires though, you should set your expectations fairly low on gas mileage. I don't run 35's, but I've read that with that much lift and those size tires 11 - 12 is pretty standard. Could be wrong though. You might start by tracking your distance driven per tank with a GPS, your phone or doing the conversion calculation for distance traveled.

Reactions: JMT and JP98
Throttle body spacers do not work, they are a scam. You can read more about it here if you feel so inclined: Do throttle body spacers work on Jeep Wrangler TJs?

If you have a Rubicon, you have 4.10 gears from the factory. That isn't nearly enough for 35" tires.

150 miles a tank isn't good, but have you considered that with 35" tires, your speedometer is way off. Because of that, you're likely getting more miles to the tank thank you think you are, but it's not showing correctly since your speedometer (and therefore odometer) are not reporting correctly.

It shows 5 mph slower than actual speed. I checked it with gps.

I'm getting in the 15 mpg range running 35's. '98,4.0 with 5 speed. I would swap that speedo gear asap.

Remember, Rubicon's don't have a speedo gear like the non-Rubicon models. You need to get something like the Dakota Digital unit, which will allow you to electronically correct the speed.

If only it was as easy as swapping a speedo gear!

For gears we need to know whether you have an automatic or manual. That makes a difference. We already know what engine you have and since you have a Rubicon we know what TCase you have, so just the auto vs manual is what we need to know...

And yes, as mentioned ^^^ actually use a GPS on your phone and compare it to the odometer over a distance. Then you can actually calculate how many mpg you are getting. Your odometer won't be right. In other words, you have more miles on your TJ than you think, probably not a lot more, just depends on how long the 35's have been on there. I think with my 31's I went 3.4 miles according to the odometer and 3.7 according to my GPS, so there is a difference.

Welcome to the Jeep bug!

Reactions: PriddyBoy and StG58