2 years, no leaks but heater smells like coolant

CMD Z

When heater air first started smelling of coolant, I figured it was a heater core leak in the making. But after about 2 years, there hasn't been any moisture in the passenger foot well. I've got rubber mats, so it's easy to see any liquid.

About 6 months ago, I had the water pump replaced. I asked the mechanic about the coolant smell and he said that, if there was a leak in the heater core, there would be leaks in the cabin.

Just a really, really slow leak? The smell is pretty strong, so I keep expecting to see coolant.

Any other ideas about how to get rid of the smell (other than taking the top off in winter :LOL:❄️).

When heater air first started smelling of coolant, I figured it was a heater core leak in the making. But after about 2 years, there hasn't been any moisture in the passenger foot well. I've got rubber mats, so it's easy to see any liquid.

About 6 months ago, I had the water pump replaced. I asked the mechanic about the coolant smell and he said that, if there was a leak in the heater core, there would be leaks in the cabin.

Just a really, really slow leak? The smell is pretty strong, so I keep expecting to see coolant.

Any other ideas about how to get rid of the smell (other than taking the top off in winter :LOL:❄️).
If you have carpet pull it, see if wet

You could pressure test it. Rig up 2 heater hoses one with a plug the other with a gauge, ball valve and pressure regulator or shader valve. Pump it up to 10 psi and shut off the valve to hold pressure to see if it leaks.

Reactions: lBasket and SvtLdr
Change the core, or bypass it altogether like I did - but I'm in Florida.
Looks like I'll need to live with it a bit more and get it changed when it starts leaking into the cabin. I'm OK with SoCal cold, but my passengers deserve better. Thank you!

Remove the blend door actuator (bottom of hvac box below the glovebox) and you may be able to see or feel liquid inside box. Especially if you use uv dye and a blacklight.
Thanks for the idea! Still not detecting moisture, but I didn't use UV die. It must be a really, really small leak.

You could pressure test it. Rig up 2 heater hoses one with a plug the other with a gauge, ball valve and pressure regulator or shader valve. Pump it up to 10 psi and shut off the valve to hold pressure to see if it leaks.
That sounds legit and literally answers my question… so I learned something, thank you! I should probably get equipped to be able to do this (and a bit more mechanical confidence).

That sounds legit and literally answers my question… so I learned something, thank you! I should probably get equipped to be able to do this (and a bit more mechanical confidence).
One place you might look at is the A/c drain hose to see if you can spot coolant. It comes out of the firewall down low between the battery tray and the A/C accumulator tank.

Reactions: iamloganjames