2000 Jeep TJ 318 5.2 Magnum Swap Build

What did you do to tie the fuel rail on the engine to the fuel line on the frame of the TJ? The section of line from the frame to the old 2.5l rail doesn't work for me, so I went and pulled a section from a 5.9 Grand Cherokee but not seeing that it's going to work for me either because the fuel lines go down the trans tunnel on the Cherokee and rather than a ~2' section of rail that I'm needing it's about 4' long.

Ignore my last post, totally forgot you already addressed this earlier in your thread. Just need to take care of that and finish a little wiring. Then tackling the shift lever. What all did you have to do to make your shifter work? Just a few bends to make it dog leg more?

Ignore my last post, totally forgot you already addressed this earlier in your thread. Just need to take care of that and finish a little wiring. Then tackling the shift lever. What all did you have to do to make your shifter work? Just a few bends to make it dog leg more?
Sorry for the late reply. I basically cut the shifter in half, welded a 3" piece of metal extension connecting the 2 pieces. Worked perfectly. The only part of the shifter that I Used was the part that goes into the transmission. After that, I used my own rod so I would thread it for a beer tap handle.

Reactions: Ephry73
You may this information on your cheat sheet but what year your ZJ donor?
My ZJ was a 98. Which really doesn't mean much at all. I used a PCM out of a 2000 model, blended wiring harness from my 2000 TJ/98 ZJ, used various other parts that made things fit like OEM. I think I listed most of the parts I used though. :)

I would love to get a set for mine but 5.9L in black
I had one made at a local shop that does t-shirts, vinyl auto decals, mugs, etc... Here's a look... even matched my vinyl color. I had it made a little bigger more like the JEEP lettering versus the "Wrangler" size, but that was my choice. I like the small subtle mods... Cost about $20 installed.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

This is awesome! I think I have seen this around before. Im just next door in Springfield. How long did it take you to get it driveable? Seems like you knocked it out fairly quick.

Reactions: Whitetrash
Took me about 6 months from start to finish, working mainly evenings and weekends with some vacation time from work. A lot of research before and during, but all paid off. It make the Jeep more fun to drive on and off road. Went offroading this weekend at Butler, PA Trailfest, climbed the steep hills on the blue trails 2nd gear 4 low at around 900-1000 RPM without a struggle.

This is awesome! I think I have seen this around before. Im just next door in Springfield. How long did it take you to get it driveable? Seems like you knocked it out fairly quick.
Like the guy above, it only took a few months. Before I started ANYTHING though, I did countless hours of research. Took lots of notes. That's where the "hard work" paid off. I looked at every build thread, the entire magnum swap thread, made notes of other peoples mistakes, and ignored a lot of the "expert advice" I got. Some things were trial and error, like finding the correct radiator hoses, etc. I also didn't just grab an engine, and toss it in like I have seen some people do. I did a bunch of preventative maintenance. I also wanted it to look like this engine came in my Jeep from the factory, so I used various parts from 90s era Chrysler vehicles, like the air hat, etc to make it look factory. Once you can get the wiring harness done and get the mounts burned onto the frame, the rest is easy! And yeah I am not far from Springfield at all! I am actually from Enon, which is right next door. :)

Reactions: taylormade73
I would love to get a set for mine but 5.9L in black
If you want a set, I can ask the girl to make a set for you in black. She's a graphic designer, and literally made it look like a factory decal. She took a 4.0L decal, somehow put it into her computer and was able to make a 5.2L design from the same font. Exact same size as the factory 4.0L font and all! :)

So if I choose to do this swap I can keep the pcm connection to the far passenger side, and take the 5.2l wiring for the other two connections to the pcm and splice stuff for the gauges but everything else should go right on correct. Because it’s all just for engine. I don’t care about not looking factory I’ll just use lots of zip ties. And does I have to get the manual harness or just a manual pcm. Like does the manual harness just not use stuff for auto just it works too or what? And for the trans mount couldn’t I just make new holes in current skid? I already have built my current transfer case do I need a 4.0l one or will my 2.5l one bolt up to ax15? Also would it be possible not to move transmission or would the engine just not fit because firewall?

So if I choose to do this swap I can keep the pcm connection to the far passenger side, and take the 5.2l wiring for the other two connections to the pcm and splice stuff for the gauges but everything else should go right on correct. Because it’s all just for engine. I don’t care about not looking factory I’ll just use lots of zip ties. And does I have to get the manual harness or just a manual pcm. Like does the manual harness just not use stuff for auto just it works too or what? And for the trans mount couldn’t I just make new holes in current skid? I already have built my current transfer case do I need a 4.0l one or will my 2.5l one bolt up to ax15? Also would it be possible not to move transmission or would the engine just not fit because firewall?
Honestly, it looks like you need to do a lot of basic TJ research before you tackle this. A 2.5 transfer case, as it is a NP231, it’s a 21 spline and will not work with an AX-15. You need a 4.0 transfer case from a XJ or TJ that will be 23 spline to work with the ax-15. You need a manual pcm with a manual. The harness can be either because the transmission side of things isn’t going to matter when it comes to the engine harness. And I’m sure you could ghetto rig your current skid but a Barnes skid with adjustable slots is only $200. Lastly, I wouldn’t beat the firewall. I would set the mounts exactly where they go, which moves the trans slightly. Get custom shafts, since the stock ones are junk anyway in my opinion. It’s all easy, just gotta be creative and save a little money. Just don’t go the beating the firewall route, it’s ghetto, looks like shit, etc. :)

You can change the input gear on your transfer case or just buy another transfer case that came from a 4.0 rig.
I have a 23 spline input gear that I had bought years ago when I first started my build and then ended up never using it.
There has been some people who used the stock skid but as Whitetrash said why when you can get a new skid from Barnes for so cheap.
To make your transmission work you'll have to make a extension for the shifter to move it back. There's more than one write-up that shows how to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4099C8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You can get the skid without any holes and just drill the new holes where you need them.

Don't forget to get the braces if you go this route.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQIE331/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Make sure you have the wiring diagrams for both your year of Jeep and the donor Dodge.

Did you stick to the original axles from the 2.5? The Dana 35?
Yes. People seem to think that the Dana 35 is made of glass, but even with those old axle shafts, I never had a failure...and that is with beating the hell out of it. Now do I think that it is a super strong axle? No. But it held up to the abuse I threw at it. And, it was already geared to 4.10 so I figured why change.

Well, last night the engine was placed in its final resting place! Sorry for the poor lighting, my garage doesn’t have the best of lighting, so to take the pictures we used my buddys light bar on his 360 swapped TJ. Just glad to have it in there! Now for all the small stuff, clutch/flywheel, driveshafts, installing trans and T case, etc. but at least the engine is in there now! Super excited!!
View attachment 119495
View attachment 119496
View attachment 119498
View attachment 119497
I’ll try to get some better pictures up this weekend!
Going back to this. AA recommends 1" body lift, wondering if you had to do that at all

Going back to this. AA recommends 1" body lift, wondering if you had to do that at all

A lot of it depends on what transmission you are going to use. I'm sure you can do it without the body lift but in the long run IMO it makes more sense to have it. Plus I think it helps for exhaust clearance.

Yes. People seem to think that the Dana 35 is made of glass, but even with those old axle shafts, I never had a failure...and that is with beating the hell out of it. Now do I think that it is a super strong axle? No. But it held up to the abuse I threw at it. And, it was already geared to 4.10 so I figured why change.
I think part of that depends on what size tires you're running and what you do with your rig. I've seen a Dana 35 break with a 4.0 and 31" tires so I'd not trust it for too long behind a V-8.

A lot of it depends on what transmission you are going to use. I'm sure you can do it without the body lift but in the long run IMO it makes more sense to have it. Plus I think it helps for exhaust clearance.

I think part of that depends on what size tires you're running and what you do with your rig. I've seen a Dana 35 break with a 4.0 and 31" tires so I'd not trust it for too long behind a V-8.
I have been re-reading the post as a great source of information. The 1" BL should be good if the airingal keg intake is being used is what I have gathered. Since I plan o running a different intake (lower) and shorty T headers I think I will be ok. Can't be sure until the time comes. I have been gathering parts and such waiting for the swap.

I already had a 1" body lift so it wasn't a issue. Here are some shots to show you where things sit.

4cyl

IMG00450[1].jpg

V-8

Finalassy2[1].jpg

IMG00806[1].jpg

IMG00810[1].jpg

What intake are you planning on running? The airgap? Or a M1?