2000 Jeep TJ 318 5.2 Magnum Swap Build

g
awesome thanks for the info. Im gona try and use the zj engine and trans harness bc I gona convert it to auto. hoping I can just get away with plugging tj dash harness into zj ecm. I have to start tearing down the zj this week so I can pull motor. your thread is definitely going to help
Great!

A bellhousing from a mid-late 90's Dodge Dakota V6 manual will bolt right up between the 5.2/5.9L Magnums and the AX15. As for clutch parts, Dodge Ram. The 5.2L and 5.9L Magnums are different in the 5.9L is externally balanced so uses a different flywheel than the 5.2L Magnum. Mine is a 5.9L and I used the following, but you can find the one for 5.2L same - I have a spreadsheet of all the parts I used if you'd like a copy, here is cut specific to cluch/flyswheel/bearings - hope it helps! :

Clutch assembly 12" kit includes throwout, pilot, alignment tool, clutch assemblyPlatinum Driveline 05081. ORDERED Perfection Clutch MU20501SKPRock Auto
$259.00​
XPlatinum driveline p/n is for 1998 Ram 1500 w/manual 5.9L magnum 11" x 1-1/8" x 10 spline. Ordered Perfection Clutch system for 98 Ram 2500 as kit.
Pilot bearingMopar Performance P4876056AAJegs.comXCannot use pilot that was included, needed Mopar Performance part due to crank not being final drilled
Throwout bearingXincluded with clutch
Clutch forkATP ZA140Rock AutoXSame as existing Jeep
Flywheel for 5.9L Magnum 12"Perfection 502754Rock AutoXOrdered with clutch kit

• Wow
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
A bellhousing from a mid-late 90's Dodge Dakota V6 manual will bolt right up between the 5.2/5.9L Magnums and the AX15. As for clutch parts, Dodge Ram. The 5.2L and 5.9L Magnums are different in the 5.9L is externally balanced so uses a different flywheel than the 5.2L Magnum. Mine is a 5.9L and I used the following, but you can find the one for 5.2L same - I have a spreadsheet of all the parts I used if you'd like a copy, here is cut specific to cluch/flyswheel/bearings - hope it helps! :

Clutch assembly 12" kit includes throwout, pilot, alignment tool, clutch assemblyPlatinum Driveline 05081. ORDERED Perfection Clutch MU20501SKPRock Auto
$259.00​
XPlatinum driveline p/n is for 1998 Ram 1500 w/manual 5.9L magnum 11" x 1-1/8" x 10 spline. Ordered Perfection Clutch system for 98 Ram 2500 as kit.
Pilot bearingMopar Performance P4876056AAJegs.comXCannot use pilot that was included, needed Mopar Performance part due to crank not being final drilled
Throwout bearingXincluded with clutch
Clutch forkATP ZA140Rock AutoXSame as existing Jeep
Flywheel for 5.9L Magnum 12"Perfection 502754Rock AutoXOrdered with clutch kit
I did the 5.2. So I’m assuming just use the clutch parts for a 5.2

Yes, you'll need a flywheel for a 5.2L Magnum and same for clutch. My original 2.5L clutch fork as well as slave a master cylinder were the same as Ram/Dakota so kept them original. You may need to get a new clutch fork retainer, but dealerships still have them, they used them on lots of manual trannys. Get new flywheel bolts too. You probably can get a kit that has it all matched up. Make sure you check that your crank is drilled for a standard pilot bearing or if not, get the Mopar bearing I had in that list, you throw in the freezer for an hour or so, then press it in (or carefully tap in with large socket and hammer) - works great. Good luck. So worth the research and work - you'll love it.

One of the best threads I've read so far. Made me want to join this forum. Im prepping for a 5.2L swap:
Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L with AX15 (got lucky) 4x4, Dana 30 & 35, NP231.
Swap drivetrain: 5.2L Magnum, keep AX15 and NP231. Keep axles.
I'm beginning my hunt for a Dakota, 1500, and Grand Cherokee for parts. Ill post brief updates. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Ephry73
One of the best threads I've read so far. Made me want to join this forum. Im prepping for a 5.2L swap:
Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L with AX15 (got lucky) 4x4, Dana 30 & 35, NP231.
Swap drivetrain: 5.2L Magnum, keep AX15 and NP231. Keep axles.
I'm beginning my hunt for a Dakota, 1500, and Grand Cherokee for parts. Ill post brief updates. Thanks guys.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...te-harness-bellhousing-etc.53621/#post-936943
Here are some parts for you.

Someone had done a AX15 swap before you bought the TJ? Talk about really lucky.

When you start gathering parts and are going to do the swap make sure to start your own thread.

Here is another thread on the subject:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/questions-on-the-magnum-swap.53411/

Dude has memorized every word on every thread…

While I appreciate the accolades I ain't anywhere near that damn smart and my brain ain't working that good anymore. I just try to help others out when it comes to the V-8 swaps.

Its quite simple actually, and there is a TON of info on the interwebz about it, but ill keep it simple - I am using an ECU out of a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 base model that came with a manual transmission. This way the body harness will still connect to the ECU and the other 2 ECU plugs (engine side) will all plug in as normal. The ECU will communicate with my factory gauges as well. I didn't want to use the ZJ ECU because it was originally for an automatic, and it has a security system (the dreaded SKIM system that everyone always talks about, and causes your engine to cut fuel after a few seconds of running).
I already made the wiring harness, what I did is take the stock 4 cylinder engine harness and "blended in" what I needed to from the ZJ harness. I used the TJ harness because it would match the firewall plugs, and it was originally a manual trans jeep. If I would've used the ZJ harness I would've had all kinds of automatic trans stuff to cut out, and some other crap I didn't want to deal with. I pinned in ALL 8 injector wires into the TJ harness, that way I would have the correct lengths of wire for the injectors and wouldn't have to worry about lengths. Also a few plugs here and there were changed to match the sensors on the 5.2 engine. All relatively easy stuff, just a little time consuming. This is what makes this swap so great though, the fact that you don't need to go get some specialty ECU, or adapters, or run 2 ECUs, or anything crazy. Anyone can do it with very little knowledge on wiring. Hopefully this answered your question, but if it didn't, let me know and I will try to answer it as best as I can! :)
Could you share your wiring diagram with me? How did you pin the 8 injector sensors into the 4 injector TJ harness? I get using the 4 existing TJ sensor wires but how did you create 4 more? splice in 1 extra injector sensor for each existing injector? Where did you splice in? Close to the sensor?

Reactions: Wojoe
Its quite simple actually, and there is a TON of info on the interwebz about it, but ill keep it simple - I am using an ECU out of a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 base model that came with a manual transmission. This way the body harness will still connect to the ECU and the other 2 ECU plugs (engine side) will all plug in as normal. The ECU will communicate with my factory gauges as well. I didn't want to use the ZJ ECU because it was originally for an automatic, and it has a security system (the dreaded SKIM system that everyone always talks about, and causes your engine to cut fuel after a few seconds of running).
I already made the wiring harness, what I did is take the stock 4 cylinder engine harness and "blended in" what I needed to from the ZJ harness. I used the TJ harness because it would match the firewall plugs, and it was originally a manual trans jeep. If I would've used the ZJ harness I would've had all kinds of automatic trans stuff to cut out, and some other crap I didn't want to deal with. I pinned in ALL 8 injector wires into the TJ harness, that way I would have the correct lengths of wire for the injectors and wouldn't have to worry about lengths. Also a few plugs here and there were changed to match the sensors on the 5.2 engine. All relatively easy stuff, just a little time consuming. This is what makes this swap so great though, the fact that you don't need to go get some specialty ECU, or adapters, or run 2 ECUs, or anything crazy. Anyone can do it with very little knowledge on wiring. Hopefully this answered your question, but if it didn't, let me know and I will try to answer it as best as I can! :)

Can you tell me how to get the TJ gages to work. We have everything else hooked up and running in 01 TJ, 5.2 mag engine, and dodge ram ECM. Thanks

Reactions: Wojoe
Can you tell me how to get the TJ gages to work. We have everything else hooked up and running in 01 TJ, 5.2 mag engine, and dodge ram ECM. Thanks

You'd be better off to start your own thread in the general discussion section.

Need more information about your TJ & the. swapped engine. What year is the Dodge 5,2? What year is the vehicle is the PCM from? Manual or automatic?

Reactions: Paparock1 and Wojoe