2000 Jeep TJ 4.0 exhaust options

00TJOH

Hello-

I was tired of the rattling my old rusted exhaust was making so i broke out the sawzall and cut the exhaust in front of the cat converter. so my exhaust pipe is just stubbed out before the skid plate. My question is, Until i can get it to a shop to weld on new pipe and muffler, what are my "clamp-on" options. or even a semi permanent non weld option. if i can just run straight pipe back to a muffler and tailpipe that would be awesome but im not sure what i need for clamps/support/etc.

Any ideas? I just want something to quite it down from open headers pretty much so i can move it in and out of my garage to work on in the winter

If you just need something to quiet it down, you can buy a cheap $30 Thrush turbo muffler from Summit, Jegs, or Autozone and clamp it onto the downpipe. I believe the pipe diameter should be 2.5". I did this on one of my XJs when the exhaust got ripped off. I just clamped on a $30 muffler with a turn down exit where the cat would have gone until I could get a nice exhaust welded in there.

If you just need something to quiet it down, you can buy a cheap $30 Thrush turbo muffler from Summit, Jegs, or Autozone and clamp it onto the downpipe. I believe the pipe diameter should be 2.5". I did this on one of my XJs when the exhaust got ripped off. I just clamped on a $30 muffler with a turn down exit where the cat would have gone until I could get a nice exhaust welded in there.

That's what I was thinking as well. The right muffler will quiet it down quite a bit.

yeah that was my thoughts. i have had thrush before. I just cant seem to find the clamps i need. I believe the pipe is 2.25" correct? and the inlet on the thrush is 2.5" so i would need some sort of coupling?

I would measure the pipe you plan on clamping the muffler too first. I've seen both 2.5" and 2.25" depending on the year of the Jeep and what emissions it has (Cali emissions vs. 50 state). Autozone or any parts store should have the clamp size you need in their exhaust pipe section. Thrush makes both 2.25" and 2.5" mufflers, so just buy whatever size is the same as the pipe you have, and maybe a turn down for the exit to help exhaust exit under the Jeep. If it's temporary, I wouldn't spend the money on a tailpipe. Like Chris said, just the muffler will be plenty to move it in and out of the garage.