2000 Jeep TJ Restoration Project

@bruceco you should start a build thread. I'd love to see the work you did. That picture of the bracket you made looks awesome. Kudos for sticking to it. I pray that when I'm 70, I'll have that same fire and desire to work.

Reactions: JMT
Hi Bob:
I am so glad for so many great people on this forum including yourself.I know you understand. One of my main problems is I had my own machine and welding shop and have a mill,saw,mig welder,lathe etc. That can be a downside because you don't give up easily. I have built my own parts for my motorcycles and have traveled to alaska from ontario for a 3 month trip,camping all the way via arizona. 3 months and 30,000 kms later safe at home all at the age of 65.I have low light in my garage in the jeep area so I have been using a headlamp and 110 volt light I got at costco. Welded on my back most of the time with no lift of any kind. Blocked the jeep up to about 18" clearance. Got really,really tired of grinding,cleaning and using my shopvac so I could make my creeper wheels to move.Now you know why I am so glad to be getting out from under it. Bleeding the brakes this weekend and getting it back on 4 wheels.I can't remember what it felt like 3 months ago when I got it to be sitting on 4 wheels.It won't look much different from the top because most work was under it.Remember an old bike saying ( chrome won't get you home )I am sure anyone from the north restoring a jeep understands the rust,cutting and work involved.We can't all afford an overpriced rustfree southern jeep tj.

No offense to anybody bringing theirs back from the dead, but if my frame goes to hell im gonna be buying a new frame and saving my elbow grease for something else. I just don’t have it in me to spend countless hours chipping and sanding away at rust.

You and me both. I'd never tackle rust myself, not in a million years. However, to the guys who have the patience and knowledge to deal with it head on, I salute you!

Wow- this thread blew up a bit while I was away! Love to see so many other people tackling the rust too. Like Bruceco, this is also my first time tackling a Jeep, although I had a better idea what I was getting myself in to on this one. I think I have the same 5 gal pail at my house filled with rust! To the folks that are worried about fixing rust, I would say three things-

First, it is no different than any other automotive project. It just takes planning and preparation. Don't rush it, set small goals and try to focus on them- it is a lot less frustrating that way. In my case, I broke everything into bite-sized pieces.
A- remove interior
B- remove previous attempt at fixing the floor
C- cut out rust
D- fab / trim new floor and side pieces
E- prep for welding
F- weld sides
G- Weld floor
H- Grind, seal, prime

I try to only focus on that one task and don't think about the rest. I am on step G now (for the passenger rear floor-worse rust). I hope to have the final welding done tonight and maybe some of H. Then I will tackle the driver's side with all of my newly acquired knowledge and experience.

The second thing is do regular maintenance on the Jeep so it doesn't get this bad. Once rust gets its teeth in, it grows quickly. They call it cancer for a reason.

Finally, don't doubt yourself when it comes to these projects. If you can install a new bumper or a lift, you can tackle rusty projects. For me, it is a challenge because I want to be able to see the before and after pics and know I did it myself. Have I been stumped and had to call around for some help - yup, did I have to get help to learn to weld sheet metal - yup, but it is all part of the journey. Good luck to all of you on your projects no matter how large or small- this is a great community with tons of people willing to help!

Well said.At least when you are done you know what you have.I plan on oiling it up after with fluid film and only drive it in the summer.Like you said it is all part of the journey.
I have stuck with in since the middle of dec when I got it.Lots and lots of hrs but one step at a time as you said.I know my downfall would be stopping for a long period of time.Then I know I would have a lot of problems getting back to it.
I have used the same theory as when I had my shop.
The customer is impatient so I had better get back to it.That has helped me.

Hi Starrs
I totally agree but it was my fault as I said by not taking anyone to look at it that already had a jeep.I only have a single car garage with no room to take the frame off.One of my problems is I have been into vintage motorcycles for 50 years plus and never thought I would ever be trying to restore a rust bucket. I have been restoring bikes my whole life. I have a bike lift and really never in a million years would have thought I would be laying under a rusty piece of shit that most up here in the rust belt sorry to say are.
But life goes on and I am going to try and enjoy it when it is done. Now I know why so many people I mentioned to that I was planning on buying one 6 months ago said don't even bother getting one .They are all crap up here.Putting it into perspective I will have a total of $5000 canadian when done. That includes new fenders,frame repair,stainless brake lines and hoses, new front rotors and pads,new floor pans in the front, front u joints,new tires,used lower steering shaft and misc parts and paint supplies.OHHH I forgot .Way more hrs than it is worth.If I lived in the south I have seen the prices for what is considered a clean one. Usually $8-$12,000 American dollars. Translate that to about $16,000 Canadian.I really don't think any TJ could possibly be worth that so now at least for $5,000 I have a safe driver for good or bad. If it does not work out I will just cut my losses,sell it and that will be the last one I buy.Like I said I am anal about making things safe and nice but it is still just a jeep. My friends are still laughing and maybe when all is said and done they were right.I hope I can enjoy it and prove them wrong.
OHHH by the way anyone with a tj and no holes in the lower frame are just totally putting there heads in the sand if they truly believe there frames are fine.Chrysler engineers should all be f________ g shot and p______ssed on for there design errors.There I am through ranting.You guys keep restoring and enjoying them.

years ago, i bought a honda chopper that everybody was laughing about...." why you buy that, what you gonna do with that thing' it was in some sad shape, let me tell ya......especially my harley friends....so when i was finished....an rollin into the mall parking lot with my harley buddy, who was laughin at me.....whos bike were they all lookin at:) my piece of junk chopper...:) I looked over at my harley buddy, an he just shakin his head....:) i went up to wisconsin on it, with about 10 harley riders to some bike week......an whos' all trying to race me.....al them ol harley riders.....an the things from 1972 an beatin em.....:) I got so many people looking at me on that thing, i dont like riding, thinkin there all gonna crash not paying attention, lookin at me. sometimes, they dont see the vehicle, or the bike, but they see the work it took to get it to where it needed to be...they can just smell the work a person put into it...........an thats what counts....anybody can go buy something off the showroom an play the game of bolt on with it.....just a lilttle kidding bolt ons........backher down...backer down bolt ons......backer down.:) we all got the instinct to be the king of the jungle, an we al cant be, but we all can be king of the project, to relieve our wanting to be king of the jungle.......so when someones getting on your case, about why you trying to be king of the project, just tell em, " so i dont got beat up the neighbor or you, to relieve my wanting to be king of the neighborhood jungle instinct" :) cause these projects will beat you down, tiring that instinct down, keeping you from beating up the neighbor.:) an when your rollin down the road when they are finished, you likely have no urge to beat up anybody, cause you ridin high, with a 100 inch lift kit:)

like this, who doesnt want one of these:) https://crazycoolers.com
some may not have the vet, but they got the coolie:) vrommmm...vroommm....

Last edited:
Reactions: tquig01
Been busy with work, the kids and life so I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked. Here are some pics. I have the passenger floor done, need to weld the feet on the roll bar so I can line up the door striker box correctly. Last step in the process will be to bolt in the rollbar and weld the quarter panel piece in. Everything is cut and formed so it will go quick. I had a surprising amount of rust under the rear rollbar support on the passenger side. Had to rebuild the inner support and the top of the wheel well. I decided to use 16 guage for both just to add some strength since these welds aren't factory. Jeep used 16 for the inner support and 20 for the wells. The driver's rear floor is all cut out and I will be cutting the pans and welding them in hopefully by the weekend. Slow and steady!
20180324_193420.jpg 20180325_110805.jpg 20180323_211012.jpg 20180323_211023.jpg 20180323_211037.jpg 20180323_211051.jpg 20180323_211121.jpg

Been busy with work, the kids and life so I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked. Here are some pics. I have the passenger floor done, need to weld the feet on the roll bar so I can line up the door striker box correctly. Last step in the process will be to bolt in the rollbar and weld the quarter panel piece in. Everything is cut and formed so it will go quick. I had a surprising amount of rust under the rear rollbar support on the passenger side. Had to rebuild the inner support and the top of the wheel well. I decided to use 16 guage for both just to add some strength since these welds aren't factory. Jeep used 16 for the inner support and 20 for the wells. The driver's rear floor is all cut out and I will be cutting the pans and welding them in hopefully by the weekend. Slow and steady!
View attachment 36865 View attachment 36866 View attachment 36867 View attachment 36868 View attachment 36869 View attachment 36870 View attachment 36871

projects like that, you got to tap into the spirit of that machine that wants to roll again:) you got to listen...turn down the radio...an listen for that machine to talk to you.......normally after midnight, when all else are deep asleep......:)them machine spirits...they out there..an if they aint there, they hear they are getting put back together..an they come back..just waitin to roll off that show room floor.........:) some even actually fall in love with them....like really fall in love with them.....now i wouldnt advise that.....people like you are machine saviors from them jaws of the crusher...grrrrrrrrr......:)

The saga continues...

Spent most of last week traveling for work to Colorado Springs. This is the view from the room I was in- Pikes Peak. So jealous of the beautiful outdoors you guys get to admire every day. Saw lots of amazing Jeeps too. I can definitely see why re-gearing is so important in this region, given the altitude. My rental was a Suburban (no idea why they gave it to me) and it was gutless. I mean noticeably less power. Can't imagine how a TJ on 33's would feel with stock gearing in that thin air. Anyways, I was able to get some work on the Jeep done over the weekend. Both rear floors in, still have a small piece to weld for the rear driver's wheel well. Roll bars now have feet again and are bolted in temporarily - still need to paint them. Front passenger's floor is welded in. Included a pic of my 15yr old welding away- he is getting pretty good at it. It has really started giving him a sense of ownership and and pride doing this. We are having a blast learning as we go. Started the messy job of painting everything with POR15. We got the bottom painted from the back bumper up to the rear floors done. Now it is ready to put the gas tank back in once the final welding gets finished. Of course baseball season is upon us so I am losing my helper since homework and practice have become a priority- plus I like to go see him play!

20180403_115841.jpg
20180406_164040.jpg 20180407_175037.jpg 20180408_105206.jpg 20180406_164117.jpg

Well Done. I'm afraid that this will be next winters project for me too. I tackled some of it this winter, but have noticed that there are other areas that are starting to go. I need to do the same as you, and pull the entire interior, peel the factory seam sealer, and get a look at ALL the seams. They are rusty on the outside, so I'm sure its only a matter of time.

Then again, I might just start with a rust free tub...

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!! I applied a liberal amount of POR15 to the tub and especially the welds and seams. I then followed it up with Eastwood 1K seam sealer. Stuff went on easy but the buzz I got was insane, even with the respirator. Stinky, stinky stuff! After it cured, I painted the entire inside of the tub with another coat of POR15. It is so shiny now!! I am going to focus on the bottom of the Jeep, repeat the same process above and then hopefully get the gas tank back in by the weekend. If this darn weather ever breaks I am going to bed-line the inside, just for added protection and durability.
20180415_204858.jpg
20180415_194052.jpg 20180415_194104.jpg 20180415_204844.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
Looks Great! Congrats on seeing it through. My dad and I have done a couple similar projects (engine rebuilds, full teardown and rebuild of a golf cart, etc) and its some of the time that I cherish the most. I'm sure your son will feel the same way. Nothing better than garage time with Dad!

On another note, maybe I'll get your opinion. I had a thought this weekend, looking at other threads of rust repair. I can get "new" pieces (Repops) from outfits such as Classic Enterprises. They are very nice, but very expensive. Then I thought...why not buy a rust free tub, that has body damage. They go pretty cheap (4-6 hundred), I'll get OEM parts, and I won't have to do any weird fabricating. What ever I need just needs to be cut from the salvaged tub. Its a thought...

Great work.Been awhile since I was in touch.Just finished my fenders and the underneath.Glad you kept at it. I was hoping you would.My garage is so dark it is hard to take pics but spring is almost here.I can get it out and get some.Need to finish the front floors and bleed the brakes.
Cheers
Bruce

On another note, maybe I'll get your opinion. I had a thought this weekend, looking at other threads of rust repair. I can get "new" pieces (Repops) from outfits such as Classic Enterprises. They are very nice, but very expensive. Then I thought...why not buy a rust free tub, that has body damage. They go pretty cheap (4-6 hundred), I'll get OEM parts, and I won't have to do any weird fabricating. What ever I need just needs to be cut from the salvaged tub. Its a thought...

Here is the thought process I went through, maybe it will help. I live in central NY where we have a limited summer season compared to much of the country (looking at snow flurries outside right now). I have a 2 car garage that I can work in, but have to keep heated. There is no such thing as a rust-free tub around here for double that price. The logistics of bringing in a tub from out-of-state, timed correctly with the disassembly of this Jeep, had me concerned. I didn't want to get it here, get 3 foot of snow and not have a place to put everything. I also didn't want to push off the project until summer. The tub swap was more of an all or nothing deal for me. With the cut-weld-repaint approach, I can do as much or as little as I want, when I want. If I add up the total hours, I am probably around 100. I probably have another 50 to go. I know there is no rust left. Could I have swapped tubs in that amount of time myself? Probably, but it would have been a bigger pain to get it all done quickly. I was in no rush to get it done because my son is only 15 and this is not a primary or secondary vehicle.

If I had to do it quickly, I would definitely go with the tub swap. The risk you run with my approach is the can of worms that can be opened as you find more rust damage than you previously thought. Case in point, the roll bar feet on mine. I did not know they were rusted off and had to be replaced. Not a huge deal, but an extra couple of hours and $50 to get used ones on ebay. Honestly though, yours doesn't really look that bad. Is there a lot of rust underneath? Mine was the absolute max that I would have tried to repair myself and you saw how bad it was!! I am all in for about $450, not counting painting it. So figure around $600 when I am done and I know it is clean. So less than buying a tub and shipping it here, at least for me.

Reader's digest version: It cost me a lot less to fix mine vs swapping tubs because I can't get a clean one locally. More importantly, I have the time to do it this way and swapping the tub would have been a logistical nightmare to do over the winter. I didn't want to give up my vacation and summer driving months working on the Jeep.

Nice work tquig01 :thumbsup: and I'm sure it's been a good learning experience for your son. That's how my Dad got me going back in the '60s & '70s. I actually LIKE living in the rust belt. We get to drive in the snow and it makes us better welders. What's not to like?

Nice work tquig01 :thumbsup: and I'm sure it's been a good learning experience for your son. That's how my Dad got me going back in the '60s & '70s. I actually LIKE living in the rust belt. We get to drive in the snow and it makes us better welders. What's not to like?
Thanks! It has been fun spending time with him on it. We usually spend our time with baseball or fishing so this is a nice change. He has also learned that he doesn't want to be a mechanic because it is too much work! lol I think I have a life-long Jeeper though. He is spending my money quicker than his mother!!

Starting to feel like @jeep_boss has bestowed his jeep luck unto me.
If you sink down to that level, you'll most definitely know it! It's tough digging out from rock bottom when the bottom is a semmingly endless pit of misety.

Most people would have undoubtedly given up and sold it off had they been in my shoes. Luckily for my Jeep, I'm extraordinarily persistent and it runs better than all the others that I have test driven now.

Feel free to use my pain as a reminder that it's not so bad though ;-)

Haven't posted any progress for a while- been really busy at work. As you can see above, floors are all repaired. Fully POR15 inside and underneath. Tackled the wheel wells but forgot to take many pics. Here are some shaky cell pics of the side. Welded in new corner, added a bit of good old Bondo to smooth out the slight warping from the welding. Not sure I am completely happy with the non-factory radius of the pieces though. More than enough clearance for the tires but I like the more rounded edges, maybe I am being too critical since it is getting covered up by the flares anyways. Shot some rattle can on it until the weather warms up enough to apply proper auto paint to it. Doesn't look that bad in the meantime. Now I am focused on fixing an annoying transmission leak (actually two). Pan gasket is seeping and the shift shaft seal is dripping. Messy job but not difficult- saving it for this weekend.

20180422_124451 (1).jpg
20180422_160000 (1).jpg