2000 manual to 2001 32RH auto trans swap

TuckerMAustin

Hi there!

I have a 2001 32RH trans that I'm looking to swap into my 4.0L 2000 manual. I've only found one video about this on Youtube from Muddy Beards channel, but I'm looking for a detailed parts list for this swap. I also have my eye on a 2001 auto trans computer from a different TJ 4.0L, would that work for the 32RH I have? I hope you guys can help!

the computer from any 32RH equipped TJ should work....although I don't know if there is different wiring to deal with the the distributor being removed in 99 or 2000. However there are some wiring variances that may not be in your harness. The NSS is going to be different/missing, how reverse is triggered, and you likely won't have the torque converter lockup wiring. I can't remember about the NSS, but the torque converter lockup goes through the computer. I don't know if the necessary pins are even in the PCM connectors. And if they are, where do the wires go on your M/T car?

And if you end up stealing the wiring from a donor car, know that the 97 has some variations on the connectors & pinouts compared to other years.

Hi there!

I have a 2001 32RH trans that I'm looking to swap into my 4.0L 2000 manual. I've only found one video about this on Youtube from Muddy Beards channel, but I'm looking for a detailed parts list for this swap. I also have my eye on a 2001 auto trans computer from a different TJ 4.0L, would that work for the 32RH I have? I hope you guys can help!

I just completed a very similar swap. Here’s a link that will list everything you need: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/converting-a-manual-transmission-to-a-32rh-automatic-transmission.1641/. Mine is a 2000 manual 4.0L (non-distributor) also and I found a 2000 32rh with computer to put in. The TCC lockup wiring is already there taped up to the main harness just above your manual trans. You will have to make your own manual to auto wiring jumper to make the NSS and backup lights work. You will see what I mean when you unplug the wiring from your manual. That plug won’t plug into the connector on the auto. I ordered a S-1837 wiring kit from Summit to make mine as it included the connector that matched my auto trans. Not sure if the connector changed from 2000 to 2001 though. One thing not mentioned in that link is SKIM. If yours is SKIM enabled you have a couple of options. If yours is non-SKIM just make sure the computer you get is also non. Wranglerfix.com can program computers to go either way.

the computer from any 32RH equipped TJ should work....although I don't know if there is different wiring to deal with the the distributor being removed in 99 or 2000. However there are some wiring variances that may not be in your harness. The NSS is going to be different/missing, how reverse is triggered, and you likely won't have the torque converter lockup wiring. I can't remember about the NSS, but the torque converter lockup goes through the computer. I don't know if the necessary pins are even in the PCM connectors. And if they are, where do the wires go on your M/T car?

And if you end up stealing the wiring from a donor car, know that the 97 has some variations on the connectors & pinouts compared to other years.

I just completed a very similar swap. Here’s a link that will list everything you need: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/converting-a-manual-transmission-to-a-32rh-automatic-transmission.1641/. Mine is a 2000 manual 4.0L (non-distributor) also and I found a 2000 32rh with computer to put in. The TCC lockup wiring is already there taped up to the main harness just above your manual trans. You will have to make your own manual to auto wiring jumper to make the NSS and backup lights work. You will see what I mean when you unplug the wiring from your manual. That plug won’t plug into the connector on the auto. I ordered a S-1837 wiring kit from Summit to make mine as it included the connector that matched my auto trans. Not sure if the connector changed from 2000 to 2001 though. One thing not mentioned in that link is SKIM. If yours is SKIM enabled you have a couple of options. If yours is non-SKIM just make sure the computer you get is also non. Wranglerfix.com can program computers to go either way.

Thank you for all the help! The link grr sent didn't work for me. Very helpful info either way. Does anyone recommend that I have the transmission inspected before I install it? Any idea how much that will cost?

the computer from any 32RH equipped TJ should work....although I don't know if there is different wiring to deal with the the distributor being removed in 99 or 2000.
Well, then that obviously means that any auto 97-02 PCM won't work.
However there are some wiring variances that may not be in your harness.
You mean like the fact that it is very difficult to figure out how to wire in a power and 3 grounds to fire the coil rail if you get a PCM for a distributor rig?
The NSS is going to be different/missing, how reverse is triggered,
Nope, all 97-02 use the same circuit. The only difference is whether it is completed by the clutch safety switch or the NSS on the back of the trans.
and you likely won't have the torque converter lockup wiring. I can't remember about the NSS, but the torque converter lockup goes through the computer.
The TCC circuit is in fact present and the connector is folded back on the harness and capped off with a little plug.
I don't know if the necessary pins are even in the PCM connectors.
They are in the connectors.
And if they are, where do the wires go on your M/T car?

The wires are part of the harness that drops down to the reverse light switch on the side of the manual trans.
You've done your best to confuse this poor guy, shush now.

Well, then that obviously means that any auto 97-02 PCM won't work.

You mean like the fact that it is very difficult to figure out how to wire in a power and 3 grounds to fire the coil rail if you get a PCM for a distributor rig?

Nope, all 97-02 use the same circuit. The only difference is whether it is completed by the clutch safety switch or the NSS on the back of the trans.

The TCC circuit is in fact present and the connector is folded back on the harness and capped off with a little plug.

They are in the connectors.

The wires are part of the harness that drops down to the reverse light switch on the side of the manual trans.

You've done your best to confuse this poor guy, shush now.
Thank you for clarifying😂

Reactions: mrblaine
You're welcome.

Hey mrblaine and or Jerry, can you help me with the wiring for the nss? I bought this connector for the nss on the 32RH but I’m not sure which wires to splice together with the harness from the nv3550.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mrblaine and or Jerry, can you help me with the wiring for the nss? I bought this connector for the nss on the 32RH but I’m not sure which wires to splice together with the harness from the nv3550.

View attachment 461261

I'm not trying to pass the buck, but have you looked at the wiring diagrams in the FSM for the years you're sourcing from & installing into? Matching up by color might not work as perfectly as you want, but if you trace the function of each wire in the FSM you should be able to figure it out.

I'm not trying to pass the buck, but have you looked at the wiring diagrams in the FSM for the years you're sourcing from & installing into? Matching up by color might not work as perfectly as you want, but if you trace the function of each wire in the FSM you should be able to figure it out.

Did you ever get an answer on this?

I actually did get it to work! I didn’t think to take a pic of the final product but it ended up being more simple than I thought. Thanks for your help!