2000 rust bucket build

Well not too much going on this week with the jeep, waiting on parts and busy with family stuff. But today I was able to fix the fuel vapor line as well as the transmission shift shaft seal so hopefully no more fluid leaks. Gas tank is back in it and lines ran. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be able to get the body back on.

20190808_150005.jpg

20190808_145935.jpg

Got the Jeep running today and installed a transmission skid drop for the time being until I get the SYE.
Only problems that came about was a random cylinder 4 misfire from the injector. Have to go through that tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

But It runs great before the misfire so of course the first thing we all have to do when we get our jeeps running for the first time in a while is park on stuff, so here's a couple pics for the day!

20190825_141303.jpg

20190825_141240.jpg

20190825_141250.jpg

Last edited:
Repaired the misfire today. My OBD scanner was right on the money, it was a bad injector. $50 and about 30 min worth of work and she's running great. Another week or two and I'll have it on the road and finally to the beach!

Reactions: Squatch
Well since we're supposedly under a hurricane warning I can't get parts till next week. So today I messed around and started building the frame for my overhead console. Unfortunately I ran out of flat steel and don't feel like driving to get any so I only got the main parts done. I plan on wrapping this with molle to attack storage packs too. It will also hide the wires for my interior light and possible rear speakers. With the brand name ones going for $150 and up. I figured I can build on for about $50.

20190903_144121.jpg

20190903_142749.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-073632_Chrome.jpg

Going to be ordering the body mount kit tomorrow and try to figure out where to position the exhaust. Once I get the exhaust installed the body will be ready to go back on. Not many new pictures so I got a little before and after.

View attachment 110083

Holy moly! Look at that frame, there's hardly anything left there. Just shows how evil rust is!

Reactions: ZMTJ
So I noticed you're project is put back together. How did you treat the rust damage inside the frame tubing? Did you leave it alone and just welded on the new metal and only primer and paint the outside of frame? Great work getting her back together so fast.

So I noticed you're project is put back together. How did you treat the rust damage inside the frame tubing? Did you leave it alone and just welded on the new metal and only primer and paint the outside of frame? Great work getting her back together so fast.

On the interior of the frame I cleaned it out, and hit it with some rust reform/sealer paint before I welded the new pieces in. I'm going to be ordering the eastwood frame coating and coat the inside and out with that. The rust tends to not move to the top of the frame rails too much, that's why everything is all solid and able to be welded too. The tj frame doesn't have factory drain holes causing water and debris to be caught in the bottom of the rails and rusting them out.

Well she's registered and on the road, made it too the beach for the first real shake down run! Unfortunately it cost me a pair of front calipers. I was expecting it though especially after sitting. But $50 and an hour worth of labor and it's fixed and she's running great!!

Also noticed a bit of a "clunk" in the front end. So probably going to need new u joints all around. That will be fixed in the coming weeks. Hopefully the rust on the front hubs is nice to me.

20190913_110858.jpg

Reactions: Kaptainkid1
Well I've been driving the jeep for a few weeks now with no real issues. First day the front calipers locked up on me, no big issue an hour later I was able to install new ones. But while I was down there I discovered both front axle u joints were bad. Not blown up bad, but knocking around a bit. I tried repairing one side but after about an hour of heat/lube/hammer to the front hubs with no success due to the amount of corrosion and rust I said f*** it, I'm buying a new axle. So I've been driving the jeep every day to the beach and around town just waiting for the joints to finally go boom. In the meantime I've decided to try and locate a set of 44s out of a rubi. Not easy, but I don't want to go through the hassle of a 8.8 swap then another dana 30 swap up front and gearing and welding and brakes and so on. After all the welding I've done to the frame I'm feeling a bit lazy.

So while I'm waiting on the deal of a lifetime I'm going to louver the hood and try to get rid of some heat. And if anyone knows a set of axles laying around in the central Florida are let me know.

More to come soon!