2000 TJ overhaul

Well, I picked up this 00 tj last year for $1200. It needed a new frame, tork boxes and some attention. So, I have to preface this post. That I was (still kinda) a early bronco guy. But, I sold all of my stuff last year and jumped into the jeep life.

So, I find myself a year later, tearing into my jeep to replace the frame and tork boxes. Here are dome early pics.

received_2093232480750523.jpeg

received_2093232230750548.jpeg

20180721_082248.jpg

20180721_082313.jpg

Welcome to the forum...nothing like jumping in at the deep end aye haha.....Early Bronco and Jeep....Both fantastic cars. Do you have any picks of the Bronco ? ( we live for pics on here) lol
That frame looks straight and clean....great place to start.

Reactions: Matt77
Welcome to the forum...nothing like jumping in at the deep end aye haha.....Early Bronco and Jeep....Both fantastic cars. Do you have any picks of the Bronco ? ( we live for pics on here) lol
That frame looks straight and clean....great place to start.
Yeah frame is super clean and straight. Only paid $400. Wiped it down with mineral spirits and shot 3 coats of frame guard. Spent the entire weekend ripping out the drive train, roll cage and interior.

Yeah frame is super clean and straight. Only paid $400. Wiped it down with mineral spirits and shot 3 coats of frame guard. Spent the entire weekend ripping out the drive train, roll cage and interior.
Soooo you basically stole the frame then !! haha

It get better...I got the tub for the same price...8 months later. It's in the same condition except for that little damage on the right side...but that should rub out right?
Now the real fun begins.

Reactions: zebra12 and Kiwi TJ
It get better...I got the tub for the same price...8 months later. It's in the same condition except for that little damage on the right side...but that should rub out right?

Now the real fun begins.
Yeah it does...roll those sleeves up and get stuck in...
As for getting that tub and frame for under a grand !!!...I think I'll ask you to get the stuff on my Jeep shopping list :D

Update...I got my jeep almost stripped down for the parts I'm keeping. Roll cage, windshield, fuel tank, seats, top, wheels (well these are a purchase from an online classified ad...$500), doors, axles, drivetrain...maybe the tailgate.

While the drivetrain is out. I replaced the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Also, put on headers.

20180722_225113.jpg

20180721_082256.jpg

20180721_082252.jpg

20180722_225148.jpg

20180722_225157.jpg

Reactions: Matt77 and KCsTJ
Wow man! Your eather a mechanic or a brave soul. Nothing like rebuilding the whole thing, eh? Good luck on your project!

Update...fuel tank and axles removed. Axles cleaned up and prepped to install on new frame. I ran out of day light and still waiting for some parts that were supposed to be here Friday. Here are some progress pics. Some show my 2 supervisors and 1 helper.
What kind of axles you putting on there? Dana 44's? I would bet a project like this will cost you a small fortune.

What kind of axles you putting on there? Dana 44's? I would bet a project like this will cost you a small fortune.
For now, I'm just swapping over the Dana 30 and Dana 35. I'm addressing the primary problem of the rusted frame and body. I found a excellent tub and frame for $800. I got my jeep for only $1200...because it was in such bad shape. So, I'm $2K in but I have some more to do.

I love it! Keep it up. I'm teetering on the edge of doing the same thing as a preventative measure...I'm at the point where I can fix what I have...maybe...but it might be better to replace (time wise)

I love it! Keep it up. I'm teetering on the edge of doing the same thing as a preventative measure...I'm at the point where I can fix what I have...maybe...but it might be better to replace (time wise)
My original plan was to only replace the frame and just the tork boxes.

The frame was rusted all the way through over the driver's side rear axle. Also the upper rear driver's side swingarm was rusted off the frame. Replacing the tub was an after thought as the tub was okay except the tork boxes and floor pans. But then I found the tub...just like the frame...zero rust anywhere. Just need to use my cage, hood, doors, fenders (but going flat fender anyway) and windshield frame. The rest of the tub is square.

20180721_082340.jpg

20180721_082355.jpg

I'm debating buying a damaged tub too but rust free, and cutting the necessary parts out. Most of the rust free, damage free tubs I see go for 1500-2000 dollars. Damaged ones are considerably cheaper. So, If I just cut the rust out of mine then make patch panels from the rust free tub, I'll end up saving a bunch of dough and still have OEM materials.

Would be WAY easier to just buy a Rust free and Damage free tub, then sell my slightly rusty tub to someone who's really in need.

I
I'm debating buying a damaged tub too but rust free, and cutting the necessary parts out. Most of the rust free, damage free tubs I see go for 1500-2000 dollars. Damaged ones are considerably cheaper. So, If I just cut the rust out of mine then make patch panels from the rust free tub, I'll end up saving a bunch of dough and still have OEM materials.

Would be WAY easier to just buy a Rust free and Damage free tub, then sell my slightly rusty tub to someone who's really in need.
Only paid $400 for this tub and all the damaged parts unbolt. Couldn't pass that up.

Awesome! Good to see another TJ getting rescued. Looking forward to following your progress.

Hats off to you. That is an awesome project and a fantastic learning experience for your son. Can't wait to watch this build progress.

Hats off to you. That is an awesome project and a fantastic learning experience for your son. Can't wait to watch this build progress.
Actually that's my daughter! It gets super hot up here in South Dakota in the summer. That's her summer hair cut. But yes, a great learning experience.