2000 TJ Rear Differential

So, I began experiencing increase vibration when down shifting and in fifth gear around 60 MPH. When I crawled under my jeep to inspect the unversal joints, I noticed that the pinion seal in the rear differential was leaking. I further discovered that when in neutral, I could move the yoke on the pinion shaft back and forth. I'm assuming this is not supposed to happen and that the pinion bearing has or is failing. Is this a correct assumption?

Secondly, I know that I do not have a Dana 44 rear end. I keep noticing on some parts websites that there are two other posibilities - the Dana 35 and the AMC 30? How do I know which one that I have?

No, you shouldn't be able to move the yoke on the pinion shaft back and forth. It's definitely time to rebuild your rear axle, no doubt about it.

You have the Dana 35, that's a 100% fact. All TJs came with the Dana 35 rear axle unless it was a Rubicon (which came with the Dana 44) or a package that featured the Dana 44.

The TJ only came with the Dana 35 or Dana 44 which was an extra-cost option. It wasn't just Rubicons that could have a rear Dana 44 axle.

Your pinion shaft movement sure sounds like the pinion bearing has gone bad. I'd get that looked at/fixed real soon before bearing parts damage the ring & pinion gears.

Last edited:
So, I began experiencing increase vibration when down shifting and in fifth gear around 60 MPH. When I crawled under my jeep to inspect the unversal joints, I noticed that the pinion seal in the rear differential was leaking. I further discovered that when in neutral, I could move the yoke on the pinion shaft back and forth. I'm assuming this is not supposed to happen and that the pinion bearing has or is failing. Is this a correct assumption?

Depends whether you mean "back and forth" as in rotational movement, then some backlash is normal. In and out movement into the rear housing indicates a definite problem.

Reactions: oldschoolsdime92
Depends whether you mean "back and forth" as in rotational movement, then some backlash is normal. In and out movement into the rear housing indicates a definite problem.
I meant left to right and up and down when facing the yoke - not rotational movement.