2000 TJ Sahara insurance

zzzgas

Hi, been trolling for a while now wondering.
My 2000 Sahara TJ owned since new, all the usual upgrades, driven rarely.
We put less than 1000 miles a year recently.
Has 155,000 +/- miles on it.
It seems too “new” to qualify as classic/antique/whatever. It doesn’t fit a
Hagerty category.
Anyone have an insurance company with reasonable rates?

image.jpg

image.jpg

534FE0A0-A5BC-40CB-8014-462283E0E82B.jpeg

If you want to register it as a classic, I suggest Grundy over Hagerty. They're much cheaper and they insure all sorts of vehicles other than the traditional classics that most think of.

Of course having it insured as a classic with an agreed upon value (which is what I have on my Camaro) means that you can't use it as a daily driver or anything.

It seems too “new” to qualify as classic/antique/whatever. It doesn’t fit a
Hagerty category.

It's not, and it does. My '03 Jeep is insured with Hagerty.

If you want to register it as a classic, I suggest Grundy over Hagerty. They're much cheaper and they insure all sorts of vehicles other than the traditional classics that most think of.

Of course having it insured as a classic with an agreed upon value (which is what I have on my Camaro) means that you can't use it as a daily driver or anything.

I suggest Hagerty over Grundy. I've had both. Grundy was a whopping $20 cheaper per year for me, but had more restrictions like mileage and usage. Hagerty has no mileage restrictions, it just can't be a daily driver, and offer a "cherished vehicle" option (something like $10 extra per year) where you get the vehicle back if it's totaled (they won't push it to a sale yard). They have other perks with their drivers club (extra cost).

It's not, and it does. My '03 Jeep is insured with Hagerty.

I suggest Hagerty over Grundy. I've had both. Grundy was a whopping $20 cheaper per year for me, but had more restrictions like mileage and useage. Hagerty has no mileage restrictions, it jsut can't be a daily driver, and offer a "cherished vehicle" option (something like $10 extra per year) where you get the vehicle back if it's totaled (they won't push it to a sale yard). They have other perks with their drivers club (extra cost).

Hagerty wanted $1550 per year for me and Grundy wanted $363.

This was for an agreed upon value of $50,000.

Hagerty is good, but they aren't good enough for me to pay that much extra ;)

Hagerty wanted $1550 per year for me and Grundy wanted $363.

This was for an agreed upon value of $50,000.

Hagerty is good, but they aren't good enough for me to pay that much extra ;)

That is a huge difference. Did you get an explanation?

That is a huge difference. Did you get an explanation?

I wanted one but no one would give me one.

I was going to go with Hagerty first, but after they came back at me with that quote and I saw what Grundy was comparing at, it was a no brainer.

I still wish someone was able to give me a better answer other than, "that's just what our system tells us".

If it was a marginal difference I wouldn't have cared, but we're talking over $1200! I was shocked, especially since my driving record is perfect and my credit is near perfect as well.

If it was a marginal difference I wouldn't have cared, but we're talking over $1200! I was shocked

I would be too.

@zzzgas I suggest checking in with both. Just know they have similar requirements like you must maintain a separate tagged/insured daily driver, and the Jeep will have to be garage kept. If you can meet those requirements, I suggest using Hagerty or Grundy over a "normal" insurance company. Switching my Jeep from normal, liability only insurance to Hagerty with full comp and collision dropped my cost from $650 to around $350 per year on the Jeep.

Reactions: Chris
What qualifies the vehicle as a "daily driver"? Is it upon a conditional amount of miles per year? I got 6 vehicles that I insure through my normal car insurance company currently. Starting to add up, even though I get better rates than almost anyone I've ever discussed the subject with.

I have my TJ (05) my 74 TR6 and my 81 vette insured with American classic car ins....$560/year total, agreed value. They paid out on my TR6 when I crashed it into my work van in my own driveway...and paid out very well.

Holy shit, really? I am calling them soon, along with Grundy and Hagerty as All State jacked up my insurance recently, a 20% increase our of nowhere...then I googled it. Was also going to hit up my Triple A office to see what they have to offer.

“Allstate will continue to implement significant rate actions in the second half of 2022 in response to inflationary increases to auto insurance severities,” said Allstate Corporation chief financial officer Mario Rizzo. “During the month of July, the Allstate brand implemented rate increases of 8.9% across 6 locations, resulting in total Allstate brand insurance premium impact of 1.0%.”

Rizzo also explained that since the beginning of 2022, Allstate implemented 64 rate increases averaging about 9.0% across 51 locations.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.co... month of July,about 9.0% across 51 locations.

SP-insurance-rate-increases-0522.png

Holy shit, really? I am calling them soon, along with Grundy and Hagerty as All State jacked up my insurance recently, a 20% increase our of nowhere...then I googled it. Was also going to hit up my Triple A office to see what they have to offer.

“Allstate will continue to implement significant rate actions in the second half of 2022 in response to inflationary increases to auto insurance severities,” said Allstate Corporation chief financial officer Mario Rizzo. “During the month of July, the Allstate brand implemented rate increases of 8.9% across 6 locations, resulting in total Allstate brand insurance premium impact of 1.0%.”

Rizzo also explained that since the beginning of 2022, Allstate implemented 64 rate increases averaging about 9.0% across 51 locations.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/breaking-news/allstate-unveils-plans-to-further-raise-auto-rates-417618.aspx#:~:text=“During the month of July,about 9.0% across 51 locations.

View attachment 355420

I have had no issues with them in the last 10 years

Holy shit, I had no idea about this. Grundy just quoted me $290 a year (although that's with state minimum liability). I currently pay $1200 a year with State Farm.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Confused between monthly and 6 month. I only pay $108 every 6 months with State Farm, and with better coverage.

Last edited:
Holy shit, really? I am calling them soon, along with Grundy and Hagerty as All State jacked up my insurance recently

We had a couple of bad experiences with allstate years ago, so I always suggest against them.

Reactions: skrelnik
We had a couple of bad experiences with allstate years ago, so I always suggest against them.

We never had any issues with Allstate, other than them jacking rates up for existing customers. When we left even our insurance agent said he was going to switch to someone else because the rates for existing customers were getting so high.

Neither Hagerty or Grundy will cover a jeep that is used off the pavement.

Rock crawling, no. Competition use, again no. (no insurance company will cover those, pavement or not) Trail riding, beach driving etc, yes, Hagerty does cover that. I specifically asked my agent if beach driving and trail riding on both private and public lands was covered. I was assured that as long as I don't do anything intentionally stupid, I'm covered.