2000 wrangler steering

FallenPB13

Hello,
My gf just picked up a 2000 wrangler sport 4.0L manual. And I was wondering on how I could tighten up the steering a bit. Also any other suggestions are more than welcome I am knew to jeeps

Thank you

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450189487.767415.jpg

Depends on what you mean tighten up ..? You may need new tie rod ends (TRE). Check toe in with measuring tape. Check vidoes on youtube for tj driveway alignment.

I agree, what do you mean by 'tighten up'? Is there a lot of play in the steering wheel or something? I would check the toe-in, make sure your ball joints are good, and also inspect all the other suspension bushings are decent.

You can check out this article for how to align and set your toe-in very, very easily!

X2 to the above. loose steering might be caused by something physically loose, or the sense of loose steering could come from improper toe-in. The first thing is to do a "dry steering test" to see if there's anything obviously loose in the steering system. With the tires firmly on the ground, have a helper repeatedly turn the steering wheel back & forth while you look for unwanted sideways slop/movement where components in the steering system are bolted together. Note that there will be rotational 'play' around the tie rod and drag link, you will be able to rotate them back & forth with your hands since they are held by ball joints. Just look for sideways slop where components are attached to each other as the steering wheel is worked back & forth.

The second thing I'd have checked is its alignment which is to say have its toe-in angle checked.

If you're mechanical and have some basic tools, here's a website with some good information so you can actually check and adjust your own toe-in angle and produce a toe-in angle setting every bit as accurate (really) as an alignment rack can provide. Just a tape measure, wrench, and big pliers is all you need.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

If you have extra tools like a set of jack stands, I can give you more info on an alternative (cooler) way of setting your toe-in.

If you have extra tools like a set of jack stands, I can give you more info on an alternative (cooler) way of setting your toe-in.

gee.... don't hold back jerry. I think we all want to see cooler alternate ways to do things !!

gee.... don't hold back jerry. I think we all want to see cooler alternate ways to do things !!
Well, alright... I can't take credit for this but Mrblaine is who I learned this from many years ago. You just need two 1" square aluminum tubes and two spring clamps from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. Support the front axle with jacks or jack stands so the axle is supporting the weight of the Wrangler.

Mark the tubes at points equal to your tire diameter and measure between them. Rotate the tie rod until the fronts are 1/16" to 1/8" closer together than in the rear. That'll give you a perfect toe-in setting. :)
AlignmentCombinedVertical.jpg

Well, alright... I can't take credit for this but Mrblaine is who I learned this from many years ago. You just need two 1" square aluminum tubes and two spring clamps from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. Support the front axle with jacks or jack stands so the axle is supporting the weight of the Wrangler.

Mark the tubes at points equal to your tire diameter and measure between them. Rotate the tie rod until the fronts are 1/16" to 1/8" closer together than in the rear. That'll give you a perfect toe-in setting. :)View attachment 1211

I use this method all the time, it works like a charm and gets things pretty darned accurate.

@FallenPB13, I also second Jerry's suggestion about the dry steering test. I did that on my TJ and had a friend turn the wheel back and forth numerous times while parked. I got under the front of the vehicle just enough to watch the steering components move as he turned the wheel.

It only took 10 seconds to spot my worn out track bar bushing using this method.

I thought toe in was always just 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch less in the front of the tires than in the rear? Is that number different based on tire width?

I thought toe in was always just 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch less in the front of the tires than in the rear? Is that number different based on tire width?
No, the tire width won't affect that. And keeping the 1/16" to 1/8" closer in front than in the rear works no matter the tire diameter. In fact, doing it that way naturally reduces the toe-in angle as is needed as the tire diameter increases.

Toe-in is what rear-wheel drive vehicles need since driving moves the front of the tires apart. The right amount of toe-in tends to make the front tires parallel while driving.

The opposite is true for front-wheel drive vehicles, you need toe-out for them since driving tends to move the tires closer together in front.

So rwd or fwd, the right amount of toe tends to cause the tires to roll parallel to each other on the highway. The toe-in/out tends to go away while driving.

Last edited:
No, the tire width won't affect that. And keeping the 1/16" to 1/8" closer in front than in the rear works no matter the tire diameter. In fact, doing it that way naturally reduces the toe-in angle as is needed as the the tire diameter increases.

Toe-in is what rear-wheel drive vehicles need since driving moves the front of the tires apart. The right amount of toe-in tends to make the front tires parallel while driving.

The opposite is true for front-wheel drive vehicles, you need toe-out for them since driving tends to move the tires closer together in front.

So rwd or fwd, the right amount of toe tends to cause the tires to roll parallel to each other on the highway. The toe-in/out tends to go away while driving.

Got it, very helpful!

Anytime I set my toe-in I simply use those pieces of aluminum and measure 1/16 to 1/8 less in the front and it ends up coming out perfectly, handles really great too!

Width will vary, on a 10.50 tire you need less toe in than a 15.50 tire because the more tire that contacts the pavement the more outward pull there is