2001 60th Anniversary Silverstone TJ

jtbrigham

Supporting Member
My first car was a 1998 Green Sahara. I loved that Jeep. This many years later, I am 38, have some money in the bank, and recently purchased a 60th Anniversary Edition TJ on e-bay. It arrived to my house in Charlotte, NC on a car carrier with 40k miles on the odometer and in basically stock condition with the minor exception of replaced tires, a new S-belt and some attachment hardware for being hauled behind the previous owner's RV.

The Jeep was dirty but in great shape otherwise. I do believe it spent its life mostly being towed and living in a Texas airplane hangar — a great starting point!

I have been steadily lurking on this forum for months picking up tips and advice, especially from Chris and Jerry. Now that I am deeper into my build and have some time, I want to contribute. I'll gladly answer any questions in an attempt to pay it forward.

The Jeep is a 3spd Auto with the 4.0L I6. It sadly came 3.07, but that is being handled by Outlaw Offroad up the road from me in High Point, NC. I am going to 4.10.

Thus far, I have added or will add the following:
  • KDFabworks 49" Mid-Width Front Bumper and Steering Skid
  • Next Venture High Clearance Hitch Bumper
  • Hella Black Magic Driving Lights
  • Warn Zeon 8-S Winch (synthetic rope)
  • Hella Headlights
  • Rigid D-SS Spots w/ Delta Mounts
  • JKS Quick Discos
  • Currie Currectlync Steering Kit
  • Fram Air Filter
  • Odyssey PC1500T Battery
  • Next Venture Battery Mount (single)
  • OME 2.5 Suspension Lift (Heavy)
  • BFG AT 32x11.50 (x5) on American Racing Bajas
  • Regearing from 3.07 to 4.10 and axle reinforcement - Revolution Gear - Only work I am not doing myself
  • Morryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit
  • Romken Bump Stops All Around
  • Borla (14924) Exhaust
  • Genright 25gal Fuel Tank (aluminum)
  • VIAIR 400H Compressor for onboard air
  • A Uniden CB and 3' Firestik
  • Trail Tail Tailights
  • Bartact Seat Covers Front and Rear
  • BedTred Front and Rear
  • Weathertec Mats (love these! I get them on all my cars.)
  • Tuffy Subwoofer Center Console
  • Tuffy Storage Box under the driver seat
  • Bestop Trektop NX - Twill
  • Polk Marine Speakers all around — two 6.5", two 4"x6" and an 8" Polk sub
  • A Sony XAV-AX1000 that has Apple friendly integration for my iphone
  • Kenwood Amps - one for the sub, one for the speakers
  • Some miscellaneous cosmetic items
  • POR-15 Underneath (an act of love)
  • A LOT of rattle can Satin Black

Phew... I think that's it. You guys can probably tell, I have gone down the rabbit hole with this Jeep. I have honestly been enjoying the work and project more than I expected. Some pieces have been challenging, and I have definitely said some horrible things along the way, but overall, this has been a great time.

The most current photos of the build as of 12/17/19:

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some photos from the first moments of when I received the Jeep. The first order of business was pulling the top, carpet, and dash apart. A good clean for everything. In pulling the rear tire and carrier off I think I may have found the Jeep's mascot - a permanent marker tattooed pink duck. It now belongs to my daughter.

IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

59205912160__DD8CBC99-A782-43FC-8071-3F6CA78AF835.jpeg

59205941329__DD738792-250C-4E24-964A-B81C60AC7ACD.jpeg

59206288735__D4DB7673-BCFB-4921-B52C-0F18ADD4B6D1.jpeg

The audio work was pretty easy going except for the subwoofer box and the amp mounting. I don't have photos of the amps right now, but I can post some if anyone wants to see my solution. The Kendwoods I am using are tiny and I mounted them under the steering column. The subwoofer box is a combination of the old Mopar plastic enclosure and a custom cut piece of MDF that I used for the face of the box. I joined the two with liquid nails and screws and then wrapped the whole unit with Noico before mounting it in the Tuffy center console. The 8" Polk is what I expected. A speaker this size is nice enough, but it will never be a 12" in depth. Thankfully, I am past that point in my life. As a bonus photo, check out the original Audiolatina speakers - nothing but the finest from the factory!

IMG_0274.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

59279150798__B2698B78-0515-4557-94E6-15B0E82F226C.jpeg

59206209267__86D9B543-6600-46E7-A101-62D466AD225E.jpeg

Here are a handful of photos, not in chronological order, from various points of the suspension and underbody work, as well as a few with the hood up. Lots of sanding, painting, wiring and lift kit things going on plus the fuel tank removal. This is as much as I have on the camera roll, but now that I have started this thread, I'll make more of an effort to document things through the rest of the build-out.

IMG_0374.jpeg

59389723923__30647990-5DE0-4F9D-B401-5CF5AECB4028.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

59373218629__09D49396-D0CF-43D5-A093-067254F0B469.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

59279126699__26AE8C80-C02A-4D8D-8B0F-FE63B27007EC.jpeg

59279093922__BB1C3D2C-D80C-4B17-A8E1-9110EF80A49A.jpeg

59389651462__487DE9EF-D5D7-43A2-9098-874A42231146.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided early on to protect the fuel tank. I used to have a Tomken skid plate on my earlier jeep's tank, but it was quite heavy. When I went looking for lighter, more elegant alternatives, I discovered that Genright makes a 25 gallon aluminum tank with its own skid. They advertise that, despite the increased capacity, it bolts right into the factory position, and I was sold. (I have yet to install it.)

One of the options Genright offers is an access panel that cuts in and installs over the fuel pump. It may be overkill, but since I decided to undertake the tank swap, I figured I might as well go all in.

Yesterday, I painted the tank black and began the install for this panel. Pretty simple stuff if you have the right tools.

Photos to follow. When I have it caulked, riveted and finished, I'll add more photos and edit this post.

All installed. On a whole, this was a pretty simple swap out if you have the right tools. (I can't imagine it without them.)

The worst part was getting the damn ring off the old fuel pump. The Genright custom wrench was a flimsy joke; a strap wrench did nothing; but a dead blow hammer and big flathead did the trick. It blows my mind how tight the plastic on plastic bond became over the years!

Credit to Genright for getting the hole alignment perfect. I just raised the tank on my jack, connected the hoses, raised it the rest of the way, bumped it into place with my hand and bolted it right up.

** Note how close the exhaust is to the tank, however. I am swapping for a Borla cat-back, and will finesse this when I put it in.

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

IMG_0405.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

Last edited:
Tomorrow, my Jeep heads to the shop for new gears. Good bye 3.07. Hello 4.10. Good stuff!

I scrambled in the dark to get it trailer ready. It was the first time I've had all four wheels on since adding the lift kit. (Big moment!) In my opinion, the OME 2.5" and 32x11.50's looks pretty sharp. (I have not added any body lift.)

IMG_0523.jpeg

Awesome jeep and great choice in color 😉Was it repainted at some point? The painted fenders are a nice touch.

Reactions: jtbrigham
40k! Impressive, like it a lot! I am sure your daughter will too!

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to the days getting warmer next Spring and some adventures with her in it.

Awesome jeep and great choice in color 😉Was it repainted at some point? The painted fenders are a nice touch.

It is one of the 60th Anniversary editions. Best I can tell, all this meant was special floor mats, maybe unique seats(?), Sahara-esque painted fenders and the option of our Silverstone Metallic color. If anyone has found a like for like color match touch-up paint, I am curious. From what I am reading, they are all a bit off. I ordered a touch up pen from HERE. We'll see.

Nice job and a great find, it probably half as many miles on the engine as is on the odometer.

So, I am told. Given the condition, the seller, and service records, I believe that's the case. I definitely scoured the internet for awhile before pulling the trigger. First car purchase off of ebay — glad it went well. Thank you!

Last edited:
Noticed you cut the dash for new radio What did you put in and how did trim out end up

I put a Sony XAV-AX1000 double din unit in. The cut is simple stuff if you have a 90 attachment for your Dremmel. I'll throw two photos up. Kind of dark, but you get the idea.

Very nice. I enjoy seeing a clean build like this.

Thank you. I am trying to take my time, enjoy the journey, and get things right.

59288030518__764D25DA-6608-4CF2-AF11-34084A3CDF65.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

Era paints out of Oregon is a good match to PS5 (silverstone metallic). I used their spray cans on a few items now. I would bet if you have the skills to use a paint gun it would come out even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtbrigham
I have been steadily lurking on this forum for months

I see genright parts, that's all I needed to see. You lurked the good threads...

Looks like a fun build :p

What's the story on the rubber duck, quite a weird lil find there LOL

I see genright parts, that's all I needed to see. You lurked the good threads...

Looks like a fun build :p

What's the story on the rubber duck, quite a weird lil find there LOL

No idea. The duck definitely put a smile on my face.

So much knowledge is in these forums, if you're willing to dig in deep.

Good job! :love:
I would like to have the time and skills to do the same on my 65th which has the same configuration.
Thank you for sharing!

Thank you. No time like the present! Best of all, it is a great excuse to add to the tool collection.

Small, picture-less update. I am pulling the trigger on Savvy Rockers today. They are backordered, but that's fine.

After reading a ton of threads and visiting all of the top function-over-form contenders' websites, Savvy just seems like the guaranteed results choice. I was torn between JCR, AtoZ, Genright and Savvy.

The hunt for rockers really started to snowball into some decision points around fenders. I deeply considered some Metalcloaks, but I can't really get into the look of the front-on view. That coupled with seeing some pictures of Jeeps damaged from bombproof fenders warping the body itself on impact, I decided against them.

When my paint-matched factory fenders bite the dust, I believe I'll throw on some MCE fenders. (Unsure of the width at this point.)

Era paints out of Oregon is a good match to PS5 (silverstone metallic). I used their spray cans on a few items now. I would bet if you have the skills to use a paint gun it would come out even better.

Thanks for the heads up on Era's PS5. I intend to paint the rockers using this paint and paint the step sliders with the same satin black used on other parts. I think this should be a good look — not so chunky, aesthetically.