2001 Cherokee XJ head replaced

86rz350

Supporting Member
Hello All, I just had the dreaded mystery coolant vanishing on my kids 2001 cherokee xj. It ran fine other than an occasional stumble etc. anyway, i decided to pull head and my machine shop determined it was a cracked head. It was in the center of the head. Im pretty certain it was due to lack of proper maintenance by previous owner. Based on research on multiple forums i decided to go with Clearwater cylinder head. $600 shipped to my door. Bob the sales guy said it is a Chinese casting but it is a new thicker casting and they machine it in Fl and install PEP valve train. Here is what i saw. It is visually an exact casting casting of the head i pullled. It is not a clearly thicker casting like the Tuby head i have on my 2005 wrangler. Not only that it has a sensor port in the rear of head next to bolt #14 which is from earlier heads which you will need to plug as its connected to water jackets. I was a bit annoyed with this as I specifically ordered for a 2001 4.0.
all ports were similar to my original head so no mods required to gasket kit.
Note: their warranty states their temperature tag must be in place and not tampered with and their warranty card on file for any claims to be honored. Neither one was in create. I emailed them and phoned and haven’t received any response.?
Fitment was fine, im just keeping fingers crossed the casting is what its supposed to be. I maintain my vehicles very well so I shouldn’t gave any issues related to that. Everything else has already been replaced.

4E8614F0-656D-4166-8353-C5DF8D75F693.jpeg

B56FA3CC-E802-4BD9-AA91-B7A344CF4F89.jpeg

EB182EDC-8EA2-45CD-9286-96AA0A746934.jpeg

A7B1E62B-A308-435A-B342-96CE79E0A109.jpeg

B5D95821-05DB-4CEB-9FED-15ACA7E3346E.jpeg

This is the port i was referring to. I didnt realize it was a temp gauge port until after installed. Imho Clearwater should have provided this plug.

19A92D2C-2636-41E6-818A-01938DF29C6B.jpeg

Looks pretty good. I didn’t realize Clearwater heads were made in China, but nothing wrong with that as long as the quality is good.

I've used several Clearwater 0331 replacement heads on various 4.0Ls to solve the cracked head problem, and they have all worked well. One went another 200k before the Jeep was totaled.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Chris and jeephuy03 , correct. They were forthright about where they were cast and said specifically that they are a thicker casting. I did quite a bit of research on which replacement to buy since the 2002-2006 tuby heads are harder to find and still require a rebuild once you find a good one. As I mentioned on most forums they were top pick. I still think they should have provided the plug for port since they knew which model it was going one. It was hard to source on a Sunday after, lol. So far nice fit and with all new cooling components changed i don’t expect an overheating problem.
On a side note i was occasionally getting a misfire code. During tear down i was cleaning everything thoroughly and found the heat had hardened the injector insulation and exposed both conductors to each-other. Found replacement injector connector on Amazon. Soldered, shrink wrap and tape...all good now

Reactions: Blondie70