2001 Hardtop wiring harness

ellipsis

Hi guys,

I am a bit stuck on hardtop wiring harness installation. This are the instructions that came with the kit. I Cant seem to follow the step 41b as I am unable to find 16-way connector.

Instructions:
41b. Remove the left (driver’s side) 16-way connector from back of the I/P cluster housing. Remove 3" of tape wrap back from the connector. Disengage locking wedge by pulling it partially out. Insert Dk. Blue/Lt. Green wire into cavity #1. Insert Lt. Blue/White wire into cavity #7. Trim and tape back the unused wires.

Where is this 16-way connector? Is it inside the 100-way connector or may be instructions are a bit off for 2001 model?

I am looking for a connector with 16 pins, is that right?

new106.jpg

I also found an edited guide here but that doesn't seem to answer this either. Appreciate the help. Thank you!

Nobody, huh! I guess it's going to remain a mystery

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

the picture says driver side kick panel under dash....I would assume that means it's up front on the driver side, tucked into the dash...is that not the case?

Reactions: Chris
It's been nearly 20 years since I had similar confusion connecting that wiring harness. But if I recall correctly, you're not looking at the right cluster of connectors. That "IP" phrase stands for Instrument Panel and I recall it's referring to the connectors in the 100 way connector attached to the IP support as shown below. I had to scratch my head many times before finally getting that harness completely connected.
IP connector.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all,

I checked multiple times, few different ways- there's no 16-way connector. All the wires related to 100-way connector are in place. Just don't know where these last four wires go if there's no 16 way connector. Rear wiper stuff still doesn't work so I imagine those are meant for something important.

I'm referring to these four wires highlighted here:
9f427d701a53296ef16edeaa3a252adc.jpg

@Chris Not sure. But here is the last page with instruction. In case if picture from 2000 model is helpful.
53f24566e30c278dcdfe1bf1b3c202ca.jpg

It's damn hard for me to troubleshoot this only because I'm not actually there in person. Mine was pre-wired for a hard top being a 2005 Rubicon model. However, I'm not sure if all of these older models came pre-wired for the wiring harness or not. I mean, I suppose anything is possible.

[QUOTE="badlieutenant,

I have a valid excuse... I've got a 12 day old baby. Heh.[/QUOTE]

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks badlieutenant. Congratulations with the baby, time to start looking for Jeep toys ;)

Thank you, all. Appreciate the comments and tries of helping me out. Here are the leftover 4 wires I've been talking about. May be it'll give someone a clue.
18f1c43f5b67643c2d69bd0ec78e26f3.jpg

Thanks boys!

Ellipsis, I'll am no good with wiring. Ever since I blew about every fuse in my ford tempo trying to install a new radio in 1995, I've stayed away.

I'll check in mine asap

Ellipsis, I hope you figured this out by now but they're talking about the instrument cluster connector that plugs into the back of your gauges.