2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ overheating issue

BL97

Hi y'all. About a 3 weeks back, I noticed that my 2001 jeep Wrangler was overheating at idle. Then I check the coolant level, the reservoir is empty when the engine is cold. But I couldn't see any leaking and I replaced the radiator couple months ago. And no sign of burning coolant either. Other than that, it runs great and smooch. I can't figure it out what is happening.

When you TJ is completely cool pop the radiator cap and check the fluid level in the radiator. To me it sounds like your radiator is low on coolant.

Hi y'all. About a 3 weeks back, I noticed that my 2001 jeep Wrangler was overheating at idle. Then I check the coolant level, the reservoir is empty when the engine is cold. But I couldn't see any leaking and I replaced the radiator couple months ago. And no sign of burning coolant either. Other than that, it runs great and smooch. I can't figure it out what is happening.
Mine did the same thing last week and I just had to add coolant. What might have happened is you did t burp the system all that well and bubbles could have found their way to the top especially after a new radiator.

But where does the coolant go?

It's possible you have a head gasket leak or a cracked head and are burning coolant. A leak down test would be a good place to start to rule that out.

Cylinder heads from 2000 and 2001 are unfortunately prone to cracking. The first symptom is unexplained loss of coolant. Is there milky goo under the oil filler cap? When the engine is hot, turn it off and peer into the valve cover with the cap off and see if you can see coolant bubbling up. It's pretty easy to spot.