2001 Jeep Wrangler won't start

kcassada

I just got a wrangler like 2 weeks ago I drove it home after work then got back into it will not start. The actuator pin is not broken, just put a new starter on it, fuses are all good, plus I charged up the battery. Tried to rig it with the starter to see if it would start but all the starter dose is spin. I have not checked the fuses inside the jeep. You can turn the key and all the lights come on. There has been a over ride with the clutch safety switch I'm just not sure what is going on. Please help!!!!

Does the engine turn over ?

Or is the starter itself just spinning?

Check your starter relay under the hood in the power distribution box - you can pull a non critical relay with the same number and try it in that spot.

Reactions: John Cooper
There is also a 30 amp starter fuse in the power distribution box and you might try a fuse in the #20 spot behind the glove box.

Keep us posted- good luck-

I’ve got to crash.

Reactions: John Cooper
You stated that the actuator pin is not broken, but did you check the condition of the ignition switch contacts, harness and wiring ?
Just because the dash lights and headlights come on doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the ignition switch since there are two sets of contacts inside the switch.
Terminal 3 (pink/black) is incoming power for the Ignition switch from Fuse 8 (40A) in the PDC, Terminal 10 (yellow wire) on the Ignition switch sends power thru to Terminal 2 on the Clutch Pedal switch and thru Terminal 1 (yellow/red wire) to Terminal B5 of the Starter Motor Relay. Check to see where the voltage stops when using the ignition switch to crank over the starter with the ignition switch.

On the forum in the TJ Resources section there is a downloadable Factory Service Manual in a PDF for your year TJ.
Search thru electrical wiring schematics in section 8W-21-2 to assist in troubleshooting.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2000-2001-tj-service-manual-pdf.14036/

Last edited:
Also check and make sure the Solenoid wire on the starter is plugged in all the way and the contacts are clean.

So I went home yesterday and I figured it out!!! When I started to watch videos I came across how to take the safety out for the clutch and when I looked at the fuse box in the glove box there was no fuse in #20 when I put a fuse in it worked!! But they thing is there was no fuse anywhere so I'm not sure how he was getting it started because there was no fuse for the over ride for the clutch. So I'm still somewhat confused of how it always started for him? But thank you for all your help!!!

Installing a fuse in slot #20 of the fuse block (behind the glove compartment) allowing the engine to crank over means the Clutch Override switch attached to the clutch pedal is not working or the jumper bypass installed for the clutch override switch wiring has stopped working (IF I am reading what your post #1 correctly).
Either way.... it's always interesting to find the creative wiring previous owners have installed.
Thanks for the update.