2001 TJ 2.5 has no power

joe2001

I've got a 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ with 2.5 4 cylinder I know that the 4 cylinder does not have much power but was really expecting more than this. My Jeep will barely hold 60 to 65 on flat ground straight away is this normal. I have a 98 S10 with the 2.2 and it will run 90 mph easy. Is it the gearing? Just looking for some suggestions it doesn't seem to miss or anything was told it just had a tune-up before I bought it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your profile says 3" lift. Do you have larger tires too?
X2, please fill your Profile in with a little more detail with things like your tire size. Bigger tires like 33's will definitely cause a dramatic loss of power that is curable only by regearing the axles to a lower ratio like 4.88.

X2, please fill your Profile in with a little more detail with things like your tire size. Bigger tires like 33's will definitely cause a dramatic loss of power that is curable only by regearing the axles to a lower ratio like 4.88.

Nobody reads anymore. The first thing it says when you sign up for this forum is a PM that says PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE with a link to it.

...and you may be going faster than you think. Putting 31's on an SE will throw the speedometer off by almost 10%. 33's will throw it off more, and you get the added bonus of making 5th gear almost worthless.

Reactions: Wildman
Welcome to the TJ forum Joe2001. As others have stated, bigger tires without proper gearing can make your Jeep sluggish. So can a number of other mechanical and electrical issues. The more details you give the forum the better we can help you. You came to the right place, we just need more info.

Nobody reads anymore.
:unsure:
ILLIterate (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: P man and Chris