2001 TJ 4.0 32RH automatic shudders after shifting into 2nd

bagpiper22

Hello...new member. Recently got my 2001 TJ. 116k miles, 60th Anniversary edition. 4.0 inline 6, Auto trans. No lift (that I can tell). 31" tires.

60339004486__2AA75C4D-88E4-4B27-9739-37A9BEB40CE5.JPG

When I got it a few weeks back, it had a shudder when accelerating...specifically when it shifted from 1st to 2nd. If I accelerate gently, it wont happen, but if I give it even a little extra as it passes through those RPMs, it shakes. Once past that, it's fine...no shudders from 2nd into 3rd...smooth driving.

Based on research from this site, I figured it was the transmission mount, so I ordered one from RockAuto (DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL A2882 #52058551, 52058551AB- (Standard Replacement- OEM Replacement).

Did the swap today...not too tough a job with the right tools. The old mount, while not in horrible shape, was pretty soft and the metal rod down the center was bent.

IMG_0070.JPG

As I replaced the skid plate, it was very hard to get it back up touching the frame to put in the bolts. I had to use scissor jacks on both sides to get it up close enough. I attributed that to the new mount being more stiff than the old one. Once I got them tight, I took it for a ride.

First thing I noticed was a vibration at idle that had not been there before. And the shudder is still there.

First question: I've seen some skid plates with spacers. I don't have any, but I also don't have a lift as far as I can tell. Here's the rear spring:

IMG_0075.JPG

Is there a better way to know if I have a lift? I know that sounds idiotic, but this is my first jeep.

If I dont have a lift, would spacers help? I saw some 1/2 ones. It seems like when I tightened up the skid plate this time it lifted the tranny a bit more than it was before. I could just get some heavy duty washers and add about 1/4 space to see if that helps. Open to input from the members here.

What would be my next thing to check? U-Joints? Whats the best way to test them. They seem tight when I grab the transaxle and try to twist, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.

Scott

First off, looking at your photos, it doesn't appear you have a lift. If you do, it would have to be very mild, but I don't think so. You could always measure your springs and refer to this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-can-i-tell-how-much-lift-my-jeep-wrangler-tj-has.193/
Secondly, you have some very, very serious frame rust and possibly rot there. I'm sure you are aware of this, but I'd look into that, as that can be dangerous.

Next up, in regards to the shudder, I might have a transmission shop take a look at that, since it sounds like it could be a transmission issue itself.

Lastly, in regards to the vibration after the new transmission mount install, I've heard of this before. If you don't use an OE Mopar mount, some of these aftermarket replacement ones are too stiff (as you've found) and cause vibrations after installing them.

Someone had this issue recently and documented it. Can't remember who it was... I want to say @Steel City 06, but I might be wrong.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Anything but a Mopar mount is gonna rattle your teeth at idle. As for your transmission, check your kickdown cable. It’s easy to adjust and usually can cause either hard shifts (or shudders) or delayed shifts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thank you for the help! I made a small adjustment to the TV cable and the shudder is much better.

I thought I had bought an OEM replacement mount, but I guess not Mopar brand. Are any of the ones on RockAuto the right one (link below)? If not, can you let me know the best place to get a Mopar one? It's not a big deal to swap it out for the right one.

RockAuto Transmission Mounts

Thanks again!

Scott

follow up: Took her for a spin this evening, and no shudder whatsoever...I'm really hoping the adjustment to the kick down cable did it for me.

Still have a heavy vibration at idle...almost wondering about putting the old mount back on.

Thank you,

Scott

Reactions: Jamison C
I see you said your shudder is gone. If it comes back I recommend stopping by a Trustworthy transmission shop and see what they think. 2nd gear is a Band in your 32RH and can be adjusted. Adjustment can be done with just the pan removed. Or need a rebuild/replacement. If the band is burned too badly adjustment won't help and it needs to be rebuilt.

Like I said if/when it comes back.

Just closing the loop on my own thread: I went back to the original trans mount, vibration gone.

Shudder is still there. I’ve adjusted the bands and no change, so it’s looking like a rebuild or repair at least for the trans

Have you taken a look at your rear drive shaft u-joints? Mine were so bad when I bought it that the yokes at the transmission were rubbing/binding.

You can take it out completely by shifting into 4WD going forward/back a little bit to make sure it engaged and then unbolting the rear off the rear axle. Then it should just pull off the transfer case. You can then drive around in front wheel only. See if the shudder is still there.

Just make sure to make the right side for both so you install it back the way it came out. (tcase to drive shaft, drive shaft to diff)

Have you taken a look at your rear drive shaft u-joints? Mine were so bad when I bought it that the yokes at the transmission were rubbing/binding.

You can take it out completely by shifting into 4WD going forward/back a little bit to make sure it engaged and then unbolting the rear off the rear axle. Then it should just pull off the transfer case. You can then drive around in front wheel only. See if the shudder is still there.

Just make sure to make the right side for both so you install it back the way it came out. (tcase to drive shaft, drive shaft to diff)
Hey @LittleTankTJ...Thanks...I've replaced the U joints in the rear drive shaft already. So far I've done the following the eliminate the shudder (without success):

Note: no lift on the jeep. Stock height on 31s

1. Tried new trans mount (new one too rigid so back to original)
  2. ATF fluid flush
  3. New MOPAR ATF fluid and filter
  4. Adjusted 1st and 2nd bands
  5. New ujoints in the rear driveshaft
  6. Removed rear driveshaft and drove with just front
  7. Removed front and drove with just rear
  8. Check (but haven't yet replaced) engine mounts...they seem ok
  9. Adjusted TV cable. Note: the shudder is minimized when I tighten the TV cable, but doesn't go away completely
  10. Fluid change in transfer case
  11. Fresh oil in front differential (haven't done rear yet)
  12. New struts
  13. Rotated the tires
  14. Even replaced rusted muffler and made sure it wasn't touching the frame (it was resting on the upper control arm before)

Basically anything in the drivetrain or frame I could think of before attacking the internals of the tranny.

Did I miss anything?

If you use the shifter to stay in 1st does it happen? 2nd? You can use the shifter to isolate it. It could be only 1st gear having issue at high RPM and you would be able to tell by shifting down into first and driving about

Last thing, have you checked your distributor? Do you have any check engine codes?

Reactions: Oklahomacheapjeep
I’ll try holding it in 1st, then 2nd. If that isolates it, does that then point me in the right direction of a fix?

I don't believe I have a distributor. The 2001 has the ignition coil. I had been experiencing misfires (and associated codes) but a new crank sensor fixed that.

No Check engine codes currently.
Thanks!

I’ll try holding it in 1st, then 2nd. If that isolates it, does that then point me in the right direction of a fix?

I don't believe I have a distributor. The 2001 has the ignition coil. I had been experiencing misfires (and associated codes) but a new crank sensor fixed that.

No Check engine codes currently.
Thanks!
@LittleTankTJ i took her out today. When I keep it in 1st there's no shudder. It revs up, but stays smooth. Then depending when I move it into 2nd, it shudders. It seems to do it when there's torque pressure on the driveline (for instance, when the jeep was on a lift they were not able to make it shudder).

I tried tightening the TV cable all the way, and that reduces it to just a bump or two (otherwise it sounds like I'm going over rumble strips), but I reset the TV back to normal. I recall a thread where @Jerry Bransford said it was too much of a strain to keep it taught.

It all depends on whether I've accelerating hard or not. From takeoff, if I gun it, it shakes like the front wheels are spinning in gravel, though I know they're not, and then again as it shifts into 2nd, it's fine when it goes 2nd to 3rd.

I'm stumped. Thinking I need a rebuild.

@LittleTankTJ i took her out today. When I keep it in 1st there's no shudder. It revs up, but stays smooth. Then depending when I move it into 2nd, it shudders. It seems to do it when there's torque pressure on the driveline (for instance, when the jeep was on a lift they were not able to make it shudder).

I tried tightening the TV cable all the way, and that reduces it to just a bump or two (otherwise it sounds like I'm going over rumble strips), but I reset the TV back to normal. I recall a thread where @Jerry Bransford said it was too much of a strain to keep it taught.

It all depends on whether I've accelerating hard or not. From takeoff, if I gun it, it shakes like the front wheels are spinning in gravel, though I know they're not, and then again as it shifts into 2nd, it's fine when it goes 2nd to 3rd.

I'm stumped. Thinking I need a rebuild.
Have you checked the transfer case adjustment? Mine was so out of whack when I bought it hard bumps could engage the front. You've tested in 4wd with the rear drive shaft out yes?

What’s the adjustment on the transfer case? The 4WD works great when I engage it. The strange thing is from inside the Jeep, at takeoff, it sounds like the front tires are spinning, but I’ve filmed it and nothing visible is happening.

Yes. Drove with rear shaft out and also front shaft out. The shudder was a little different without the rear shaft, but still there.

What’s the adjustment on the transfer case? The 4WD works great when I engage it. The strange thing is from inside the Jeep, at takeoff, it sounds like the front tires are spinning, but I’ve filmed it and nothing visible is happening.

Yes. Drove with rear shaft out and also front shaft out. The shudder was a little different without the rear shaft, but still there.

what was your fix?

Just to close this thread…I replaced all joints. Nothing. I adjusted the transfer case kick down cable. Nothing. Adjusted 1st and 2nd bands in the transfer case. Nothing. We replaced the transfer case…didn’t fix it. Finally pulled the trigger and put in another 32RH from a 2000, and problem solved. At last! I don’t know what part of the transmission was bad, but a new one fixed it. I’ve got a new CEL to deal with, but that’s another thread. Lol.