2001 TJ cranks but won't start

Fattireracer1977

Went out to start my 2001 TJ this morning. It just cranks, but won't turn over. Has plenty of gas, battery checks out, and hasn't had any other problems. After a little detective work I noticed that the gauges aren't registering when I turn the key over. I read on another post that I should turn the key to "ON" and let it sit to see if I get a "NO BUS" signal on the spedo. I did this and after about 30 seconds the gauges fired up and the engine turned over. Idled fine.

I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then tried it again. I turned the key to "on" first for about 32 seconds and then tried to crank it. It fired up. Any ideas why it wouldn't start earlier? This is my daughter's jeep and I need to make sure it doesn't do this again.

I have been looking into a very intermittent issue for myself where my Jeep likes to crank probably ten times before it turns over on a cold start. Best I can come up with, as I haven't even tried resolving yet, is that it's either the PCM or the fuel pump.

Since your problem seems more consistent (i.e. mechanical) and because you turn it to "on" (AKA "accessory") for several seconds before starting it you may have primed the fuel line giving it sufficient time for it to work without an issue to turn over. That, to me at least, points more to the fuel pump being the issue.

I am worried that my issue, being as intermittent as it is, is that it's the PCM. I'm just hoping doing a reset on the PCM will resolve the issue. Seeing as I'll be out of town for several days I may disconnect the battery all together and see what happens.

If you do go the route of the fuel pump I will say @Chris has recommended getting the Bosch fuel pump as others have been known to fail according to him (and OEM ones aren't around anymore to my understanding).

Reactions: ObedaTJ and Chris
Sounds like your issue may be related to the drain back valve, which is part of the fuel pump assembly. You can pretty easily determine this by turning the key to the on position (not not starting it), letting the fuel pump prime, and then turning the key off. Do this again 2-3 times, each time being sure to let the fuel pump prime.

If it starts after 3-4 times of doing that, it's your fuel pump assembly that needs replacing, and you're going to want to replace it with the Bosch unit.

Reactions: danof76
I am having the same exact issue. I am replacing the fuel pump today and will report back, check my thread for the issue!

Reactions: danof76