2001 TJ SE - keeping it stock!

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just finished a whole lot of work in the 6 weeks I've had this TJ.

Radiator, timing chain, plugs, wires, filters, oil change, trans oil change, xfer case, diffs, floor stripped and painted, new media deck, seat tracks cleaned and lubed, painted underneath, new wiper arms, blades, shocks, track bars, rear cont. arm bushings, speedo gear, rear door struts, tires, front and rear brakes, strg stabilizer, painted fender flares, new strg gear, alignment, rear u-joints, rear stabilizer bar bushings, and prob more I can't recall.

Looking pretty good. No tears in any of the upholstery. Floors under the carpet were practically spotless. Might buff out a few scratches on the hood but it cleans up well.

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2001.JPG

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2002.JPG

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2003.JPG

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2004.JPG

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2005.JPG

Jeep%20TJ%20SE%2006.JPG

She sure is clean and nothing wrong with staying stock. It was a very capable vehicle straight from the factory.

Thanks for all the positive comments. This Jeep spent all of it's life in the city. Vancouver, B.C. has the same weather as Seattle and many of the other area's of the Pacific NW, so mild winters make for minimal rust. The previous owners were a cop and an older retired lady so I doubt it got much mountain use. And pictures don't always show the little blemishes and minor surface rust. Most of what's under the hood is plastic and can be cleaned. Underneath was only minor surface rust that minimal wire brushing and rattle can primer and paint easily took care of. When I changed the diff, tranny, and xfer case fluids, I took the time for wire wheel the skid plate/trans mount and diff covers. A few coats of red oxide primer/black paint, and they look like new. Some of the screw heads and small brackets under the hood had minor rust but would be a pain to try and paint so I just shot a little Fluid Film on those.

I just wanted a smaller 4-cyl off-road capable Jeep that looked good and will last a decade or so without costing a fortune. I spent less that 1/4 of what a new Jeep would cost and I don't have to lose sleep when I park it in a parking lot or drag a branch down the side. There's something to be said for that.

Reactions: Chris and Rowdy
What a great buy! I don't blame you for keeping it stock. When you find one that's this clean it totally makes sense.

I just wanted a smaller 4-cyl off-road capable Jeep that looked good and will last a decade or so without costing a fortune. I spent less that 1/4 of what a new Jeep would cost and I don't have to lose sleep when I park it in a parking lot or drag a branch down the side. There's something to be said for that.

A good plan. When you consider that the TJ's 4cyl. engine is way more powerful than the original engine put in WWII Jeeps, it is not hard to imagine that it is pretty capable as is. My first TJ bought back in 1995, when they came out late in the year as a 1997 model, was a 4 banger. I went straight from the dealer to a tire shop, and put some 245 tires on it...while it wasn't a terror on the highway, the 4.10 axle ratio made it more than up to the task off-road. Congratulations on the purchase, I'm sure it will fit the bill for at least 10 years.

Reactions: StG58
Damn that's a clean jeep. Mine looked like that when I bought it in 2012 (it was a summer-only vehicle) but NO LONGER. Rust is taking over.....

A good plan. When you consider that the TJ's 4cyl. engine is way more powerful than the original engine put in WWII Jeeps, it is not hard to imagine that it is pretty capable as is. My first TJ bought back in 1995, when they came out late in the year as a 1997 model, was a 4 banger. I went straight from the dealer to a tire shop, and put some 245 tires on it...while it wasn't a terror on the highway, the 4.10 axle ratio made it more than up to the task off-road. Congratulations on the purchase, I'm sure it will fit the bill for at least 10 years.

By sticking with 225/75R15's, I was able to pull 4th up a 6% with my brother and I at 90K (55mph). Anything beyond 29" and that 4 banger is going to lose it on the hills. The steepest highway hill might need 3rd at 80k (50mph) and wind it out a bit.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
By sticking with 225/75R15's, I was able to pull 4th up a 6% with my brother and I at 90K (55mph). Anything beyond 29" and that 4 banger is going to lose it on the hills. The steepest highway hill might need 3rd at 80k (50mph) and wind it out a bit.

That's interesting because I can maintain 55 mph in 5th up a hill as long as I get a 60 mph start. I got 31" tires but my jeep is featherweight.

Reactions: Jheapr
Just finished a whole lot of work in the 6 weeks I've had this TJ.

Radiator, timing chain, plugs, wires, filters, oil change, trans oil change, xfer case, diffs, floor stripped and painted, new media deck, seat tracks cleaned and lubed, painted underneath, new wiper arms, blades, shocks, track bars, rear cont. arm bushings, speedo gear, rear door struts, tires, front and rear brakes, strg stabilizer, painted fender flares, new strg gear, alignment, rear u-joints, rear stabilizer bar bushings, and prob more I can't recall.

Looking pretty good. No tears in any of the upholstery. Floors under the carpet were practically spotless. Might buff out a few scratches on the hood but it cleans up well.

View attachment 6386
View attachment 6387
View attachment 6388
View attachment 6389
View attachment 6390
View attachment 6391
Rally nice rig. I have a 2002 SE that I bought earlier this year. While it is not quite as pristine as yours, it was not used much and runs really well. Has a few blemishes, but I'm working on it (I guess a jeep owner is always working on it).

That's interesting because I can maintain 55 mph in 5th up a hill as long as I get a 60 mph start. I got 31" tires but my jeep is featherweight.

But what percentage of grade? 4% or less = 5th gear, 6% = 4th, 8% = 3rd. This with a max of two people and no extra gear. I find this Jeep with it's 120hp to be very similar to my old 88 Toyota 4X4 with 22R-E 4cyl and 5speed when it comes to hills. 5th might have been even worse in the Toyota. The one thing I like about the Jeep is it's pulling ability at low rpm. You expect that from a 6 but this 4 does pretty good. So many FI engines stall so easily when clutching out on hill.

But what percentage of grade? 4% or less = 5th gear, 6% = 4th, 8% = 3rd. This with a max of two people and no extra gear. I find this Jeep with it's 120hp to be very similar to my old 88 Toyota 4X4 with 22R-E 4cyl and 5speed when it comes to hills. 5th might have been even worse in the Toyota. The one thing I like about the Jeep is it's pulling ability at low rpm. You expect that from a 6 but this 4 does pretty good. So many FI engines stall so easily when clutching out on hill.

Not sure of the grade but it's steep enough that all the semi's pull over to the slow lane and I end up passing them (the only drivers I ever get to pass LOL).