2001 TJ - Solar Yellow

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey All

I'm back! Wasn't planning on a new project but I couldn't pass this up. 2001 4.0 Sport with 168k, Dana 44 and manual five speed for $3500! Paint is in fantastic shape as is the interior.

Ok so here's what's wrong with it:
  1. Transmission grinds with shifting. Probably needs to be replaced.
  2. Brake booster is bad
  3. Evap canister system is leaking
  4. Misfire on cylinder 1
Clutch has already been replaced.

So my next steps are to:
  1. Strip off all the trim, bumpers and handles, clean them and repaint them.
  2. Wash vehicle completely and do a paint correction. The clearcoat is in really nice shape
  3. Flush engine oil and cooling systems - BG44 on fuel system
  4. New spark plugs, wires and coil packs
  5. Replace evap canister
  6. Replace brake booster
  7. Inspect brakes and replace if needed
  8. Repair or replace transmission
  9. 3" lift kit installation
  10. Add 35" wheels

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

Nice find! Before you do anything cosmetic, figure out the misfire. PO could have overheated the engine and you may be dealing with a broken head gasket/cracked head etc. Just make sure nothing catastrophic is happening before you do all the tedious painting and cleaning.

Novak sells brand new AX-15 transmissions for somewhere around 1500 last I checked.

Hopefully regearing is part of your plans with 35s.

Reactions: Chris
thanks @carrotman! Good call on the misfire. Yeah mechanical is first. I am going to flip this jeep so I am trying to keep costs down. Any problem with just getting a used AX15? They're only $900

Getting started with clean up and inspection. Removed the rear seat and and carpet power cleaned them. Also used the extractor on the front seats. Removed the brake booster - new one should be here tomorrow. Super cleaned the engine bay. In doing so I found plenty of cracked hoses so I got them fixed up. Also started removing all the external trim bits and parts so I can give it a good cleaning tomorrow.

On the docket for tomorrow:
  1. Wash, clay, cut, polish and wax exterior
  2. Flush engine oil and replace.
  3. Replace coil and spark plugs.
  4. Install brake booster
  5. Replace manual transmission oil with redline.

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

why add 35" if you are going to flip it, it will be under geared and not perform well. I would just do 31.5 or 33 and be done with it.

Yeah you're right. I ended up getting a smaller rough country 2.5" lift and 32" jeep tires for cheap so that should be sufficient.

Reactions: cliffish
Made a lot of progress today.
  1. Continued cleaning
  2. New park plugs and coil
  3. Flush and add new coolant
  4. Sea foamed intake
  5. Flush engine add oil and Ceratec
  6. Drained manual transmission and added redline
  7. Replaced brake booster
Got really lucky on the transmission. Adding the Redline got rid of the crunch on the gears so looks like I don't need to have it serviced or replaced. I did notice the muffler seemed clogged so I have a new one on order.

Next steps:
  • Clay, cut, polish and wax
  • Resurface plastic trim and mirrors
  • Install rough country 2.5" lift
  • Install new wheels and tires
  • Clean interior cab and AC vents

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Made a little bit of progress this evening. Had to do some major paint correction on the hood. Also cleaned the AC ducting with compressed air, vacuum cleaner and a swifter. I ran some Kool-It evaporator foam cleaner through the AC drain tube.

I'll finish up the paint correction tomorrow and put a full ceramic coating on it. Then start resurfacing the fender flares and other trim.

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6840.JPEG

No I didn't do anything that extreme. I used an orange pad with Chemical Guys VSS. I followed that with Chemical Guys C4 and then a white pad with Chemical Guys P4. I finished with the Turtle Wax ceramic spray. There are still a ton of scratches visible but I am happy with the results overall. The yellow paint is very forgiving.

No I didn't do anything that extreme. I used an orange pad with Chemical Guys VSS. I followed that with Chemical Guys C4 and then a white pad with Chemical Guys P4. I finished with the Turtle Wax ceramic spray. There are still a ton of scratches visible but I am happy with the results overall. The yellow paint is very forgiving.

Nice, I love the VSS, have not used C$ or P$ but have a bunch of their products and pads

A couple more items the last couple of days.
  1. Resurfaced door handles, window, gas tank and license plate trim then reinstalled.
  2. Painted wheels black
  3. Fixed crack in vinyl seat side.
  4. Added cleaned rear carpet and seat.

IMG_6841.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6848.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

IMG_6850.jpeg

Made some great progress over the weekend!
  1. Installed new muffler and tailpipe
  2. Installed the 2.5" rough country lift
  3. Installed rough country steering stabilizer
  4. Installed larger wheels and tires
  5. Resurfaced the fender flares and started installing them
  6. Started fixing some of the paint chips on the hood
  7. Cleaned and reinstalled the back cover
  8. Ran the ozone machine while running AC to help kill any remaining smells/funk
  9. Finished repairing cracks in the door panels with hot staples and JB Weld
Next major items
  1. Still have a large and small evap leak that I need to track down
  2. Install projector headlights
  3. Clean undercarriage, remove rust and paint
  4. Install new stereo

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

IMG_6863.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

i completed some additional odds and ends.
  1. Installed new front carpet with insulation
  2. Installed new Bluetooth stereo with calling feature.
  3. Upgraded headlights to projector LEDs
I also found out my intake gasket is the cause of my vacuum leak along with fuel injector o-rings so will be taking that project on ne weekend.

IMG_6883.jpeg

IMG_6884.jpeg

IMG_6885.jpeg

IMG_6886.jpeg

A couple more items completed
  1. Got the intake/exhaust gasket swapped out. It wasn't too bad of a job. I followed this video which had some great detail and tips along the way:
  2. Replaced the O rings on the fuel injectors.
  3. Got my rock chips touched up with yellow and clear coat from Automotive Touchup. Really great match.
  4. Fixed up my leaking wiper reservoir with some flexglue and reinstalled it with no leaks.
  5. Sanded and cleaned off surface rust on axle housing and painted with Rustoleum Rust Reformer
  6. Got the wheel alignment done at a local shop
It's starting to come together. Now I just need to recharge the AC, reconfigure the spare tire mount for 5x5, and remount.

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6971.JPEG

IMG_6972.JPEG

IMG_6956.JPG

70509327631__A4FD90B7-1EB9-40B2-86C6-AB7B85707D03.JPG

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG