2001 TJ

Jeff 71

Hello Everyone

I bought the 2001 TJ for weekend fun and also as the first vehicle for the soon to be 16 year old daughter.
It’s not intended for mudding or trails, just the top off for cruising around town in the summer.
It rides decent for an 01 but I am a little concerned on the stability of it.
I don’t seem to have the “death wobble” but she bounces around a lot when you hit bumps in the road.
It is pretty much stock no lift but has larger tires.

What are the recommendations to fix this problem?
I was going to take it the local garage and have the suspension and steering inspected since it has 98,000 miles on it and probably never had any replacements added.
With the ease to work on theme I want to find out what is typically needing repair at this mileage and age.

Welcome...Get some pics of that Jeep up. What size tires are you running? If you measure your springs, that can tell you the lift amount, if any. Stock front is 12" stock rear is 8". Any more than that is a spring lift. Also, if there is a plastic puck on top of the spring, that will provide lift too.

To correct your ride: If it is "bouncy" after bumps, that indicates worn shocks that can no longer resist the motion of the spring. Replace them. If the ride is "harsh" but controlled, typical fixes include lower tire pressure (lots of shops overinflate the tires). Most guys run around 26 psi on 33 x 12.5 tires. Skinnier tires, increase pressure. You might also have crummy shocks...some ride very stiff because they are designed for heavier vehicles.

As far as replacement parts...the list can be quite long. You have 3 tie rod ends in the steering that can loosen up, 4 ball joints (2 on each knuckle), the steering box itself can wear, the control arm bushings can be worn and contribute to a loose feeling. The trackbars, front and rear, have bushings that can wear out. There is also a non-replaceable ball joint on the frame end of the trackbar. I wouldn't try to fix everything at once. It you have the means, put the front end on jackstands, grab a big pry bar, and try flexing the individual joints. If they are worn out, they will move pretty easily and sometimes make a clunk. That is what a good shop would do, but I fear most shops will just look at it, then give you an estimate for 2000 bucks to replace the whole lot.

E66A3613-161E-40E9-BC38-A405B4EEF3C3.jpeg

A3EBB514-E7E9-44EE-991C-F321B74B02D3.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the info Mike!!!!

I was able to get some pics posted and hope to have some time to check things out since the vortex meltdown is underway.
I’ll start with what you mentioned above and will let you know what I find out.

When you hit bumps in the road it feels out of control and bounces you around.
The Jeep doesn’t continue to bounce like it’s riding only on springs.
I was looking at shocks and springs and maybe that’s the best start to make it more stable.

I’m debating if this was a good decision on her first vehicle but for $8000 I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Welcome! If you’ve never road in a Jeep Wrangler (tj) before, some might be the different ride that is part of the experience. But if it’s drastic when going over bumps, there’s probably something else going on. You have one lucky 16 yr. old. I would have them do some reading on driving a tj in snow, etc. it’s a blast in the snow in town and feels unstoppable, but highway driving is a bit different.

Reactions: Jeff 71
Driving in the snow last week was a lot fun as it went anywhere.
Only problem was on packed snow, she wants to slide around a lot. I was just messing around and when I hit the gas the back end spun us around. 😂
This Jeep is banned from the highway. With its 3 speed automatic hitting 60 is a chore and keeping it there will make you deaf from the high rpm.
I have already been reading about re-gearing it so it’s better for higher speeds but not sure if it’s really worth it.

Reactions: Chris
take it the local garage and have the suspension and steering inspected
This ^^ is a good idea.

Often something not critical is broken or worn out. You might miss it but a shop should find it. I've had the odd broken sway bar link which adds a subtle twitch to the handling.