2002 Jeep TJ “Ocho”

This would have been in the instructions. Look at the top of the cast part of the diff. There is usually a seam or part of the casting that needs to be knocked down with a flap wheel so the arcs in the ends of the truss fit closer to the axle tubes themselves. That gap should go away.

Thank you. I mocked the truss up last thing this evening. I haven’t burned it in yet.

I’ll hit it with a flap disc when I get back to it.

@mrblaine I’ve ground down the top of the diff. The truss still will not seat. It’s almost as if the holes in the piece that bolts to the housing are drilled a little low.

Can I go with what I got? Or should I do something else? I hate to start redrilling or enlarging holes. But at this point without doing that, the truss is not going to seat on the axle tube.

image.jpg

@mrblaine I’ve ground down the top of the diff. The truss still will not seat. It’s almost as if the holes in the piece that bolts to the housing are drilled a little low.

Can I go with what I got? Or should I do something else? I hate to start redrilling or enlarging holes. But at this point without doing that, the truss is not going to seat on the axle tube.

View attachment 172274
If you remove the brace, will the truss fit down on top of the tubes cleanly and touching?

Cut the brace right below the bend, grind some off until it all lines up like it should, weld it back together. Or slot the holes but I don't think you have enough on the cover side of the bolts to do that, right? You'll wind up grinding through to the edge of the hole.

Cut the brace right below the bend, grind some off until it all lines up like it should, weld it back together. Or slot the holes but I don't think you have enough on the cover side of the bolts to do that, right? You'll wind up grinding through to the edge of the hole.

Here’s a pic.

image.jpg

if I could clearance the holes an 1/8th to the top side I think it’d drop right in. Like this

image.jpg

Hard to see but this is with no bolts in. The truss is flush on the tubes. You can see that the holes are just a tad low

image.jpg

I’m so ecstatic to say all the frame brackets are removed and the frame is ground smooth. All the heavy grinding is done. Thank the Lord!

Back on all 4’s. What a great feeling.

Preliminary measurements of wheelbase on both sides appear to be within 1/4”.

Mind you NOTHING is tightened or adjusted. I haven’t made sure lower control arms are the same length. No jam nuts tightened. No detail work finished.

517DFDAB-ED7E-4178-AE54-46E7D605498D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Jpodell and Alex01