2002 Jeep TJ with codes P0340, P0353, P0352, P0351, and P1391

Jeepinsin04

Hello all,

I am trying to troubleshoot my tj. I replaced the Cam sensor and the crankshaft sensor. It takes a couple times before it starts. It will run, but once I try to accelerate, it will stall out. Any ideas on where to go next in my troubleshooting process. Both the cam sensor and crankshaft sensor were replaced the standard brand from O’Rileys auto store. I followed instructions on the YouTube’s videos I watch. Cleared all the codes, but once I start it up again, the check engine light comes on and I get the same codes. My tj is a 2002 x series with the inline 6 4L

Last edited:
Do you think that’s the case? I’m a DIY guy so I wasn’t 100% on which sensors to go with. I just went to the auto store and got the best version of they offer. Is there a site you recommend to order the correct ones?

Do you think that’s the case? I’m a DIY guy so I wasn’t 100% on which sensors to go with. I just went to the auto store and got the best version of they offer. Is there a site you recommend to order the correct ones?

IMO, it's 50/50. I've got so many bad auto parts store Chinese parts, I cough up the money for Mopar now. Most of those are made in Mexico now. :rolleyes: Ebay has some good prices for authentic Mopar parts. Amazon sells fakes.

If you do a search on here you will find that Mopar brand versions of all sensors and other electrical items are highly recommended. Unfortunately a few of the items have been discontinued by Mopar so people are looking for the highest quality possible.

As Boogie said many faults can be related to auto store brands.

IMO, it's 50/50. I've got so many bad auto parts store Chinese parts, I cough up the money for Mopar now. Most of those are made in Mexico now. :rolleyes: Ebay has some good prices for authentic Mopar parts. Amazon sells fakes.

Good to know. Do you have the part n
If you do a search on here you will find that Mopar brand versions of all sensors and other electrical items are highly recommended. Unfortunately a few of the items have been discontinued by Mopar so people are looking for the highest quality possible.

As Boogie said many faults can be related to auto store brands.

Thats good to know. That’s what I’m dealing with while searching for those sensors now. Saying they are discontinued. Any recommendations where to search is great appreciated

Well a little update. After some research, I discovered that Mopar no longer makes the Cam sensor. They are still producing the crack shaft position sensor, but it is on back order as of right now. Should be seeing some in the next two weeks though supposedly.

Reactions: Wildman
I've had nothing but success with Standard Motor Products sensors, but who knows, maybe I'm the lone exception.

Nobody has mentioned it, but the 351, 352, and 353 codes are coil related, but I would change one thing at a time to help zero in on exactly what is wrong.

I might also check your fuel pressure.

I've had nothing but success with Standard Motor Products sensors, but who knows, maybe I'm the lone exception.

Nobody has mentioned it, but the 351, 352, and 353 codes are coil related, but I would change one thing at a time to help zero in on exactly what is wrong.

I have it scheduled to take into the shop on Wednesday. I’ll let them figure it out. I don’t think it’s the new sensors honestly because the individual I spoke with that at the auto store said he and his wife had tj’s, he had to do the same thing and it fixed their issues. I’m with you though. I start one thing at a time. Hopefully the shop will have better luck than I did

What are the other sensors that work well with the tjs besides Mopar? Is it nxt and nkm? I wanna write it down so the shop knows when I take it in today

I replaced my crankshaft position sensor a few years ago after experiencing a crank but no start issue.

First tried NTK/NGK which fired right up. These are made in USA and seemed to look/work identical to the original. However, I started getting flashing CEL above 2600 RPMs and getting random cylinder misfire codes.

Replaced the plugs with NGK as well as the coil rail in an attempt to fix the issue to no avail.

Replaced the NTK sensor with a NAPA Echelon (made in China) that is also recommended. Same issue above 2600 rpms and in one case even below going downhill above a certain speed.

With both sensors, the Jeep fired right up and ran without stuttering or any other noticeable issues only triggering the CEL at higher RPMs like clockwork.

Within the past year, I was able to buy a Mopar sensor off ebay (made in Mexico) and installed it. So far no issues but have not had to take it on the highway to get above 2600 rpms yet. This is a weekend fun vehicle and while I am curious to see if this works I am not in a rush. But so far so good.

What are the other sensors that work well with the tjs besides Mopar? Is it nxt and nkm? I wanna write it down so the shop knows when I take it in today

NGK/NTK is the preferred brand and they also make some of the sensors for Mopar if I remember correctly.

One of the things we all forgot to ask you was what brand & type of spark plugs are currently installed? The wrong type or sometimes brand can cause issues also.

Reactions: reddvltj

I believe Standard is an OEM supplier. Given the choice that’s what I buy. Never an issue.

To be honest, I’m not sure the exact spark plugs. I do know it’s been a couple years for a time up because we don’t drive it a lot. Last time I took it to a jeep shop here in Colorado that only deals with jeeps and they replaced them then. Thanks for the sensor info. I’m headed to the shop shortly to let them know as well just in case.

NGK/NTK is the preferred brand and they also make some of the sensors for Mopar if I remember correctly.

One of the things we all forgot to ask you was what brand & type of spark plugs are currently installed? The wrong type or sometimes brand can cause issues also.

What would you recommend spark plug wise?

What would you recommend spark plug wise?

I would recommend NGK but there are others that are also recommended. NGK manufactures the original Mopar plugs and were identical to the ones I took out which were still going strong after almost 15 years. These are made in Japan which I also see as a plus.

Reactions: Wildman