2002 TJ automatic transmission shifter seal replacement?

Jeepcj6

Supporting Member
Howdy all. So I'm getting the fix it list narrowed down pretty good on Gertie (daughters jeep) so today after tackling a bunch of smaller jobs ( 2 inch lift, rear transfer case seal,steering box replacement, track bar bushings etc etc) it's time to tackle the leaking auto trans shifter seal.
I managed to get all the skid plate bolts loose except for one which decided to spin the nut with it, So will dremel that one off and replace. Any tips tricks on replacing it ( the seal ) Can one lower the transmission/transfer case enough to gain access or is it best to drop trans pan and go from the bottom.
I eagerly await advice from the hive. Before disassemble. Thanks folks

Back in the day I have used a tool like this where I didn't have to pull the pan, but admittedly have not used it on a TJ, so I can't really endorse it but it may be worth a try?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769250

If you are super super careful you may be able to dig it out with a small pocket screw driver but you do not want to scratch anything.

Reactions: Jeepcj6
Thanks ac_ Found one like that at a little parts place. Then went and bought three seals cause you know usually I screw up at least one:). At first it wouldn't work. There was no room to tap the extractor tool in place. The taper on the tool was way off, to short. So after agonizing for hours and shifting through various hardware stores. I gave up, pulled the pan cause I had to change the filter anyways (no idea when and if it was done). Man, now I really opened a can of worms. Nothing I could find would give me the exact way to proceed :( So at approx 930 that night (late start) I grabbed my little 2 ton hyd jack. Placed it over the extractor and gave it a couple of pumps and the extractor seated into the seal OMG I thought I broke something.

I used the screw on the end of the extractor to lift it up and out poped the seal. YEHAAAA. This was after trying o ring picks little screw drivers etc etc. I then placed the seal in position after checking the shaft for burrs etc and lubed it up with atf and pressed it in with the same jack and the other tool. Oh I danced after all that. And after 3 days Gertie is still not incontinent. I have the tool kicking around with the seal still on it if any one cares to see it

Reactions: ac_