2002 TJ speedometer stops working after 10 miles of driving

Lil’Donk

I am desperate for help. My speedometer and odometer stop working every time after about 10 miles. No engine light. Just replace the speed sensors but no luck. Any ideas what it could be?

My first guess would be a cold solder joint in the electronics in the cluster. Reason behind that thought is the fact that was how I fixed my rear view mirror compass/temp gauge. Might be as simple as the connector needs to be pulled, cleaned and reseated.

My bet is the speedometer gear housing is not rotated properly so the speedometer gear is fully engaging its pinion gear. Which can also damage the plastic speedometer gear.

Reactions: CharlesHS
The gear housing has numbers referring to the orientation of the speed sensor body to the tcase housing depending upon the number of teeth for the speedometer gear. As JB stated above; ensure the gear and sensor are engaged properly.

Thanks all. My new gear is on its way. I will replace and see if that helps. I am just wondering if it could have anything to do with overheating since it is 100 degrees and it literally stops every time after 10 miles. When it’s stationary long enough to cool it works again.

You might want to replace the housing that the gear snaps into and the sensor screws onto. If your new gear "snaps" into and you can't pull the gear out with a little tug, then it's fine. The subtle little raised bumps can get worn down. The holder is cheap from Mopar and many Dodge pickups used these through the years so they should be readily available. P/N 52069315

Good suggestions here. What speed sensor did you replace? If you pulled the speedometer gear recently then I'd just pop it out again and inspect the gear for damage. Like @Jerry Bransford says the gears are easily damaged.

That wouldn't account for why it works at startup and then fails after 10 miles. If the gear is chewed up I would not expect performance to be restored after a cool down period.

Reactions: TJ Jim
Hi all thanks again for all your suggestion. I think I found it. Chewed up gear and loose gear housing. Gear literally fell Off. New housing and new calibrated gear and I just drive 20 miles 😀

Reactions: TJ Jim
A

1F0D44EA-BFBC-4482-BF06-537EFFE91E2E.jpeg

Reactions: Matt131
Does a 2004 rubicon not use the gear? or is it an electronic sensor?

FSM talks about tone rings & no mention of gears on the 241, so looks like it's an electronic sensor. Likely because the 241 is bigger so they needed to shorten it as much as they could to reduce the rear driveshaft angle. I was pretty sure rubicons came with an SYE & double cardan driveshaft, but sounds like it's actually the factory version of a SSSYE.

1657215746980.png

Reactions: Rickwhoo